Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to change the clutch cover on my 1991 900SS, I have decided that I do not want a Carbon cover for no reason other then if I ever drop the bike I know that the carbon cover will not protect the clutch assembly. So That leave's a billet cover, I want something that looks correct, not like some I have seen that have very little metal left in them, I doubt those would protect anything as well. The one I have seen that I am leaning toward more then any is the cover made by Woodcraft, vented on the back side -not vented on the front side -I like this to keep debris from the road getting into the clutch basket, It also has a plastic small skid plate on the bottom side this in itself does not matter to me. If anyone knows of one that is better please chime in and let me know. If you have one of the Woodcraft covers let me know how you like it--or if you dont.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK an update --after talking to someone I trust-- I was informed that the woodcraft covers dont fit properly on all the bikes they seem to sometimes need spacers to keep the cover spaced out enough where you dont get contact with clutch components, So thats out. But keeping with the primary reason being protection I was told about another one that seems to be the best for protecting fragile bits, This one is produced by AxlJack, I spoke to him today as well and told him what I was looking for and how I wanted it configured and he said no problem he will make it happen. He has another run of them being produced in about 3 weeks so maybe in about 6 weeks I should have it in my hands

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
OK an update --after talking to someone I trust-- I was informed that the woodcraft covers dont fit properly on all the bikes they seem to sometimes need spacers to keep the cover spaced out enough where you dont get contact with clutch components, So thats out. But keeping with the primary reason being protection I was told about another one that seems to be the best for protecting fragile bits, This one is produced by AxlJack, I spoke to him today as well and told him what I was looking for and how I wanted it configured and he said no problem he will make it happen. He has another run of them being produced in about 3 weeks so maybe in about 6 weeks I should have it in my hands
Interesting. I have the Woodcraft clutch cover on my '94 900SS cast aluminum ventilated primary cover and on the 1000DS magnesium ventilated case cover. Fits fine over both of the clutches, no interference, no issues.

There are some dry clutch bikes that came with a rubber gasket between the clutch cover and the primary cover to help with noise, those covers are shorter so that the overall stack height comes out the same; if you try installing those covers without the rubber gasket they will make contact with the springs. Some aftermarket covers require that rubber gasket as a spacer because the designer used the short style cover as a template. Noise control is completely negated with a ventilated cover.

Woodcraft only makes one Ducati clutch cover, and it's the tall design.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
When I’m living in Florida and get caught in rain or park in rain my clutch fills up with water. You know how much rain we get there. I’m going to drill drain holes to alleviate this problem. This can’t do the clutch much good.

·
Registered
944 Posts
OK an update --after talking to someone I trust-- I was informed that the woodcraft covers dont fit properly on all the bikes they seem to sometimes need spacers to keep the cover spaced out enough where you dont get contact with clutch components, So thats out.
I can't answer accurately about the Woodcraft cover but I have a vented billet CycleCat cover (who I believe are now out of business). When I first set up my 900SS clutch, the spider retainer made contact with the cover.

At first, I thought I'd gotten the stack height wrong and went back to check the manual. I did this several times, and measured each time. The stack height was OEM correct. Spring height was exact on the money OEM height.

Then I considered that the Nichols clutch basket might be thicker than the OEM steel one, but that turned out to be a non-factor. The first plate sits on a shoulder on the clutch hub so would not sit any lower. That left the only variable at that point; the spider retainer.

I ended up ordering a new set of individual retainers from MotoWheels and lo and behold, everything fit together with room to spare. The clutch cleared the exact same cover by several mm's.

Seems the spider sits higher on the springs than the Ducabike keepers I replaced it with.

What that says to me is, some keepers sit higher in the springs allowing contact with the clutch cover regardless of the design or manufacturer of the cover.

FWIW, the spider made contact with the stock OEM cover as well, though I just assumed that was due to an incorrect stack height. This was with the OEM basket and I have not rechecked for clearance with the current set up.

For comparison; with my 996 I installed a complete EVR 48 tooth clutch with the"anti-clank" pressure plate complete with springs and EVR keepers. I did not have any issues at all with clearance to the EVR vented billet cover. BTW, it is interchangeable with my 900SS, I physically checked the fit. No clearance issues with either. Now.

Point is, I guess; it is really dependent upon the components you currently have installed whether the cover will contact the clutch rather than the cover itself.....sean

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bike right now is all OE bits when the time comes to replace clutch parts I will go with Barnett since I am a dealer --The axljack cover is 5mm thick so it will for sure offer protection in the off chance I go down and when I spoke to him he will do the venting exactly as I want it to be done , so I think that this cover is for me the best bet for what I am going for--By the way it was Ducvet that informed me about the issues with the woodcraft covers & I do trust his knowledge about these things since he has been working on these things for a very long time

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If your concern about the clutch is protecting it from damage in a crash a different pressure plate is what you need. The stock plate leaves the spring retainers exposed and the spring perches will snap off the clutch hub if it hits the ground. Aftermarket pressure plates shroud the retainers so breakage is less likely. Having tried a few different covers on my racebike and finding them lacking I've ended up using a stock cover with a 3mm reinforcing plate welded to the face, two vent holes at the bottom and spaced out 3mm on its mountings. It's stronger, vented, and quiet ish.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with the ax;jak clutch cover thats all I need for protection and he will configure it the way I want it done --the vent holes will be @ 6, 8, 10 & 12 o'clock with none on the front side -I like this because it keeps any crud from getting in the clutch whilst riding, plus being 5mm thick offers plenty of protection lest I go down. I am getting with no coating just bare aluminium & I'll paint it silver since my 91 came with a silver cover

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
I will try and measure a few tomorrow. I have a woodcraft as well as one of the axljak covers to measure. I will say the early cast aluminum clutch covers were decent for protection much better than later stamped steel versions.

I still say the axljak is the strongest from seeing plenty of covers crashed on I have yet to see anyone destroy a axljak I personally have landed on 2 of mine at about 70mph and both covers are still in use today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts