Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You'd think I could figure this one out on my own...but I can't. The original vent valve that is out side the tank and inline on the house the goes down through the triple clamp...there is a "V" stamped in it. Which was does it go?

I can argue both directions...it either allows air into the take as gas flows out, or it flows air out and not gas as the tank heats and expands.

Of course, if one puts it in incorrectly, it can't be good.

Which way does the damn thing go? And no smartassess...I'm speaking to the 90% of you:D!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I would assume that the bottom of the "V" would be point towards the tank, the idea being that air should be allowing to the tank as gas is consumed. We all know what happens if the tank isn't vented .... it's ugly. The vent should serve two purposes: 1) to allow air into the tank and 2) to keep fuel from coming out of the tank when you do a stoppie or brake very hard with a full tank.

I'm not sure if it's filter media or a plastic ball that prevents fuel/vapors from leaking out. Can you blow air (not compressed air) into one end of the vent and get air to flow through, vs. no flow if you blow from the other end?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a check valve, i.e. you can only blow air through one direction. If I blow on it too hard, it will close. My my guess is that it allows the tank to vent, but won't let fuel out.

But that's just a guess....

·
Registered
733 Posts
Just checked mine.

The arrow points away from the tank. I blew into it and in the direction of the arrow, it leaked ever so slightly, but let air flow easily through the other way (to the tank).

Supposed to stop fuel flowing out and lets air in as fuel is used. I think the very slight leak in the direction of the arrow allows gas to escape as the fuel expands.

A search for imploded tank shows what happens to other models that aren't venting properly. With ours, fuel will slosh out the hose when braking if it is the wrong way round.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts