Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to buy a new helmet soon, and have been eyeing the Vemar Eclipse at Motonation.com website. The Metha Black/White version in particular. I like the looks, I like the weight, hand made, In Italy no less...But no body around here has these, so it will be a buy it on faith and hope the fitting guide is correct deal. Does anyone own one of these helmets?

http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=19&idproduct=3214

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
I just picked up my Eclipse (cf) on Friday. Let me just say, it's a FANTASTIC helmet. Fit is awesome, and more importantly it's QUIET, and light. The only thing, however, is that you have to get used to pulling the bottom left of the visor out, then up, to clear the tab. Otherwise, it's the first helmet I've had in years that felt just as good as my last Arai, except, this helmet is, IMO, safer and better built.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just picked up my Eclipse (cf) on Friday. Let me just say, it's a FANTASTIC helmet. Fit is awesome, and more importantly it's QUIET, and light. The only thing, however, is that you have to get used to pulling the bottom left of the visor out, then up, to clear the tab. Otherwise, it's the first helmet I've had in years that felt just as good as my last Arai, except, this helmet is, IMO, safer and better built.
How does the sizing compare to your Arai? About the same? A little smaller? A little larger? I'm using an Arai Signet/e Squadra and an AGV Agostini, both mediums, the AGV feels just slightly smaller than the Arai.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I was looking at the Eclipse but bought a VSREV Italia because I liked the graphics. Quality is not as good as the Arai RX7 it replaced but it wasn't $700 either. The fit is different and a bit smaller, maybe 1/2 a size. I would recommend webbikeworld for their reviews but I don't think they have done an Eclipse yet.

The VSREV flows a lot of air and is quiet. I agree that the tabbed visor is something to get used to.

No complaints at all and I like that you won't see one on everyother squid.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was looking at the Eclipse but bought a VSREV Italia because I liked the graphics. Quality is not as good as the Arai RX7 it replaced but it wasn't $700 either. The fit is different and a bit smaller, maybe 1/2 a size. I would recommend webbikeworld for their reviews but I don't think they have done an Eclipse yet.

The VSREV flows a lot of air and is quiet. I agree that the tabbed visor is something to get used to.

No complaints at all and I like that you won't see one on everyother squid.
+1 here

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I like the VSREV, especially the Italy paint scheme. And the price is hard to beat, but I have my eye on the Eclipse Metha white/black to wear with my Duc Old Times jacket.

I'm trying to figure out which size to order, small or medium. My best measurement shows my head size to be 22 1/8" or just a tad over 56 mm, which is in between Sm & Med on the size chart. The Arai I wear most often is a medium, with thicker cheekpads. It fits pretty well,and is comfortable. My only real complaint is on an unfaired bike there is some movement at higher speeds (above 85mph)

My instinct is to order a small and hope it isn't way too tight. Are there thicker and thinner cheekpad options with Vemar?

I went to the Motowheels website but there is no option to pick the paint scheme for the eclipse, it shows all 4 color combos, but the only option to select is size.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I like the VSREV, especially the Italy paint scheme. And the price is hard to beat, but I have my eye on the Eclipse Metha white/black to wear with my Duc Old Times jacket.

I'm trying to figure out which size to order, small or medium. My best measurement shows my head size to be 22 1/8" or just a tad over 56 mm, which is in between Sm & Med on the size chart. The Arai I wear most often is a medium, with thicker cheekpads. It fits pretty well,and is comfortable. My only real complaint is on an unfaired bike there is some movement at higher speeds (above 85mph)

My instinct is to order a small and hope it isn't way too tight. Are there thicker and thinner cheekpad options with Vemar?

I went to the Motowheels website but there is no option to pick the paint scheme for the eclipse, it shows all 4 color combos, but the only option to select is size.
I would recomend the Medium.
The Vemar helmets run a little small- just like most Italian helmets. I usually wear one size larger than the japanese helmets. I wear a "L" in Arai and Shoei but a XL in Dainese, AGV, and Suomy.

On all regular price apparel, we offer one free re-ship if the size is incorrect for you.

Chris is working on the website today. He should have it fixed in a few minutes. You can call us at 916.369.2509 if you need help ordering.

-M

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered the Vemar Eclipse in size medium as suggested. The fit is pretty good, probably the best fit I have experienced. Certainly better than the Arai Signet/e, most likely due to the fact that the Arai Signet is not the shape helmet for my head. Long oval, mid-oval,round, etc, what do I know? Medium Arai vs medium Vemar, the Vemar seems 1/2 size smaller, which is good for me because the Arai was just a tad loose.

Anyway, I would rate the Vemar much the same as the previous posters did. The finish quality is slightly behind the Arai, but still very good. With the visor up there is some whistling at medium speed, above 50 mph it has some noise. More than the Arai? probably, the Arai has a more "full" liner and this probably blocks a lot of noise. With the visor closed it is eerily quiet. Ventilation is excellent, far more air flow than I am used to. I think I like better venting than the extra quietness, I can wear earplugs.

The way the Vemar fits my head is a new experience for me, and again is certainly due to the helmet shape fitting my head. The "grip" if you will of the helmet is pretty much equal around my forehead, back of the head, cheekbones, etc. The helmet does not move around at speed on a naked bike.

Thanks to the folks at Motowheels for taking the time to answer my questions. As always, good people to do business with.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Satisfied owner

I just received my medium Vemar Eclipse from a friend stationed in Italy and I really like the helmet so far. It definitely beats the Suomy Spec-1R I am replacing and the Arai RX7-RR I used to have.

The only complaint I have is the included instruction manual makes no mention of how to remove and replace the visor which I had to figure out through trial and error. The helmet screw on one side loosens to the left while the screw on the other side tightens to the left.

I also could not find a video (YouTube or otherwise) that showed helmet dis-assembly and reassembly instructions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Vemar Eclipse helmet as well - which I might put up for sale soon (new puppy demands time and money...)

I also have a BRAND NEW light smoke shield for the Eclipse available for sale, I accidently bought 2 (and the store doesn't accept returns, the second was is used already)

The Vemar is noticeably heavier than my KBC VR2 bucket, but at the same time, the quality and details are there.. it's a great looking helmet. As an added bonus, it does a far better job of blocking out wind noise than my KBC

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would recomend the Medium.
The Vemar helmets run a little small- just like most Italian helmets. I usually wear one size larger than the japanese helmets. I wear a "L" in Arai and Shoei but a XL in Dainese, AGV, and Suomy.

-M
Amen to that, I originally ordered a Small.. and am thankful that I switched it to a Medium at the last minute.. it's definitely a "race" fit helmet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts