Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up a bit on Fuel Injection tuning in the DesmoTimes manual, and have learned that the VDSTS or the MDST are hte tools of choice for the garage mechanic.

I've found the following:

Techno Research link

For a single bike type (Ducati) it's only $199.

I'm wondering if anyone has anything to say about this (or maybe another one out there?)?

Anyone have any experiences? Good or bad?

·
Registered
204 Posts
IIRC, the Techno Research tool is useless if you're running an Ultimap chip. I think the same is true with regards to the Mathesis and Ultimap chips.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never even heard of the chips you mentioned. What are they?

Just flashed eproms?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
UltiMap, formerly known as FIM, is maker of the most popular replacement chips for Ducati, MotoGuzzi and BMW motorcycles. The have recently added a replacement ECU for XX9's.

http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/

·
Registered
709 Posts
JDuc said:
I've never even heard of the chips you mentioned. What are they?

Just flashed eproms?
chips go in the older 1.6 ECU's [748-996 bikes]

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok - I guess that's why I've never heard of them...lol

on another note, does anyone know where I can aquire just the cable for the VDSTS?

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
On my ST2, I just put the OEM chip back in when using the VDSTS.

On my SS1000DS, no problem (I have the multi-bike version).

Tom

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
JDuc said:
ok - I guess that's why I've never heard of them...lol

on another note, does anyone know where I can aquire just the cable for the VDSTS?
You need a special cable with a hardware key.

Tom

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah - I figured that out a little later

:|

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you're only option for adjusting CO (richness indicator gas) is with a computer, i.e. with TechnoResearch software or the Mathesis, i.e. your ECU is version 5.9, I recommend it if you are doing your own work. It will also allow you to reset your flashing service indicator when it starts flashing at the appropriate mileage intervals as well as allow you to read the error codes. Bottom line: if you are serious about doing your own work, I recommend investing in the software.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Since you have two bikes, it's worth it to get the unlimited version. Not sure of what it is now, but when I got it it was $350 for multi-bike, $199 for one.

Tom

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm in South Africa. Can you guys please suggest a website or place I could buy the VDSTS package from? There will not be a local supplier here, so I will need to buy it via the US or UK etc.

I've looked at the links on the Technoresearch site but couldn't find pricing, etc.

I would be looking for a standard version for the 1.5 ECU. As this will be for 2 pre 2002 SSie's.

When adjusting the CO does it allow you to do each cylinder seperate or is this fixed?

Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there is pricing in the link that I posted. It's towards the bottom of that page.

I also posted that the pricing is $199.00 for a single bike set-up.

:)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sperho said:
If you're only option for adjusting CO (richness indicator gas) is with a computer, i.e. with TechnoResearch software or the Mathesis, i.e. your ECU is version 5.9, I recommend it if you are doing your own work. It will also allow you to reset your flashing service indicator when it starts flashing at the appropriate mileage intervals as well as allow you to read the error codes. Bottom line: if you are serious about doing your own work, I recommend investing in the software.
this is where the desmo times manual is sketchy as well...

because according to it, I have the 1.5 ECU.

He also states that the 1.5 requires the tool to make these changes.

On the 1.5 or 5.9 computers the Mathesis tester or MDST software must be used to change the trim

·
Registered
709 Posts
richardtl said:
I'm in South Africa. Can you guys please suggest a website or place I could buy the VDSTS package from? There will not be a local supplier here, so I will need to buy it via the US or UK etc.

I've looked at the links on the Technoresearch site but couldn't find pricing, etc.

I would be looking for a standard version for the 1.5 ECU. As this will be for 2 pre 2002 SSie's.

When adjusting the CO does it allow you to do each cylinder seperate or is this fixed?

Thanks
Richard
Richard, contact Chris at www.ca-cycleworks.com he is a distributor for Technoresearch products. That is where I bought mine.

·
Registered
709 Posts
JDuc said:
this is where the desmo times manual is sketchy as well...

because according to it, I have the 1.5 ECU.

He also states that the 1.5 requires the tool to make these changes.
Jan, your 900 has a 1.5, but your husbands '04 S4 has a 5.9

you might weigh the benefits of getting the software package that will do both ECU's

·
Registered
126 Posts
blade625CT said:
Richard, contact Chris at www.ca-cycleworks.com he is a distributor for Technoresearch products. That is where I bought mine.
Many thanks blade and ducman, I've dropped Chris an E-mail and we will see what he says. I also got a reply from Technoresearch themselves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
technoreasearch tool

i have the vdsts toold from technoreasearch its let you on a ms4r like mine 2004 reset the tps if youre changing ecu, and also richen or leaner the mixture over the whole map. like if its set at 0 and you make it go to 10 then it will be 10 point richer throughout the range.its also gives you a very small amount of live telemetry such as engine temp,battery voltage,revs, timing spark advance.overall for 200 dollars its a good tool.ultimately one might say when do you know when you got the trim right?? well for me it was trial and error if the bike at 3000 spatters then its too lean then need to be richened and then i read the plugs/exhaust and i go on general feel.say it take about 15 good rides to get it right..anyway for me it did!!the vdsts tool does not give you the hertz for stting up the new cam belts taht the biggest drawback!!and no fuel mixture analysis.hope this helps steff

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
for the VDST to be used to it's full potential, you really need to use it together is a gas analyzer. there's lots of posts here on using the two together. keep in mind if you're using it on a closed loop system (if you have an O2 sensor) you'll be very limited in what you can do until you remove the sensor and upgrade the stock ecu to a dp ecu.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts