Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First attempt at a valve adjustment on my newly acquired '94ss CR . Just to be sure I am measuring this correctly, here is where I am at.

Engine at TDC compression stroke, tick marks lined up on timing pulley on horizontal cylinder. Exhaust valve unloaded gap .003 loaded gap .007

I can sand .001 from the opener shim to make this in spec? (LT Snyder's recommendation of .004)

The closer shim measures 6.5mm or 255.906 so I would need to add .002 for my new shim? Would a shim size of 6.55 be correct?

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I'm learning this part too, so take what I say with a grain of salt. 0.003 seems pretty loose for the closer, have you verified your numbers by cycling the engine around and remeasuring? Also, consider getting all of your measurements first, you may find that you can swap shims around before you need to start sanding any of them down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fairly confident in the measurements. I did rotate it around a couple times and got all the measurements.

Horizontal
Intake .004 unloaded. 006 loaded
Exhaust. 003 unloaded .007 loaded

Vertical
Intake .003 unloaded .006 loaded
Exhaust. 003 unloaded. 006 loaded

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention the bike has 28,000 miles and doesn't like like it was well maintained

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
remove the belts, much easier that way.

it's easier to have a selection of shims on hand than to buy sizes. how you measure them makes all the difference, and what you get might not be what you expect due to measuring system.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you can sand shims but keep in mind you need it to stay flat.

With what tool are you measuring the closer?

Make sure you do not have any broken 1/2 rings when clearances get too loose . New 1/2 rings will tighten clearances up temporarily .001-.002
I bought the measuring tool from emsduc.com I have a nice thick flat piece of glass to sand on. I just wanted to make sure my calculations are correct for the new shim.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
remove the belts, much easier that way.

it's easier to have a selection of shims on hand than to buy sizes. how you measure them makes all the difference, and what you get might not be what you expect due to measuring system.
I would love to have a shim selection on hand but $300 is a lot to have most of them just sit around.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I would love to have a shim selection on hand but $300 is a lot to have most of them just sit around.

I don't know anything about them, but this exists: Ducati Tool Rental

They will rent a shim kit for $50, plus $9.00 per shim.

Reactions: RockAZ

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought a shim kit and glad i did... If i didn't I'm sure I would have been ordering different size shims for weeks.

Plus i feel like i can sell my used kit for a decent price at some point, especially if i replace the shims i used.

I also discovered a broken half ring and ended up buying a few extra to keep with the shim kit.

Good Luck to the OP and anyone doing these adjustments. :smile2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a shim kit and glad i did... If i didn't I'm sure I would have been ordering different size shims for weeks.

Plus i feel like i can sell my used kit for a decent price at some point, especially if i replace the shims i used.

I also discovered a broken half ring and ended up buying a few extra to keep with the shim kit.

Good Luck to the OP and anyone doing these adjustments. :smile2:
Thanks, I'm taking my time (maybe too much, I would rather be riding)

I'm calling my dealer tomorrow to see if they have the three shims I need. If not I guess I will break down and buy one unless someone knows of used kit for sale...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My local dealer sucks...I called for 8mm shims. They told me they don't stock any in the parts dept. But the service dept has some...but I can't sell you those. Do you think I will ever buy a bike from these clowns?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm new to the world of Ducati so pease take this with a grain of salt but I found the measuring part can be the trickiest. Keep your calipers and micrometer clean as well as the shim your measuring. You can come up with all sorts of crazy numbers just with a little "something" on the surfaces of your tools and shims. Also - a new half ring/collet will sometimes change a measurement. I noticed some of my new half rings would have a bit of a rough "snip cut" on the ends that would allow the shim to not "seat" correctly. :smile2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts