Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy $hit.... this is killing me.....

So doing a valve adj and trying to swap out the valve seals while I'm in there....
What's the trick to getting the seals in place??

I've lowered the valve stems by dropping the piston a bit, to facilitate the process,
but I can't get them over the little lip.. what's the trick I'm missing??

(FYI: 95' 900 supersport motor in a '94 elefant, engine still in the bike..)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Holy $hit.... this is killing me.....

So doing a valve adj and trying to swap out the valve seals while I'm in there....
What's the trick to getting the seals in place??

I've lowered the valve stems by dropping the piston a bit, to facilitate the process,
but I can't get them over the little lip.. what's the trick I'm missing??

(FYI: 95' 900 supersport motor in a '94 elefant, engine still in the bike..)
Yeah these new seals can be tricky. The best way to get it over the lip is to get the top of the valve low enough so that it's flush with the top of the guide, so that you can stretch the seal from the inside through the top opening, outward over the lip. The obvious problem with this is making sure 1 - the valve doesn't drop any further into the cylinder, and 2 - getting the valve back up. I've actually used a rubber hose and balloon through the spark plug hole to get the valve exactly where I wanted it. Worked pretty well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. I've lowered the valve stem by using the piston. But very cool idea on the balloon....

I just can't seem to get the seal lipped over the guide... ugh

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Like Bradblack said if you have good dexterity. Don't use a pick capable of puncturing it. Alternately, put them in some hot water, take one out, quickly wipe it off and put a drop of oil inside it, install. If these ideas don't work, I have resolved it by turning a little piece of aluminum rod on my lathe so that it has a taper end and the other end with a drilled hole that just barely fits over the valve stem. Slide the seal up the taper and off onto the valve stem. Use some tape or something over any grooves in the stem to prevent seal damage. If it is a hard teflon seal, some of those have to be reamed to the correct size, but I doubt you have that. I personally keep the valves seated with air pressure to prevent screw ups whenever the retainers are off.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
oh the pick is fully capable of puncturing the seal. btdt.

i use a finger tip to follw the pick around and keep the seal down. works pretty easily.

valve on piston is easy. move it up again gently and it'll just push the valve up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts