Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Got a 97 900ss. Shredded the cam belt. Motor still turns over but the cam only turns half a turn. So Motor is not locked but certainly a valve is bent.

Wondering a best case guesstimate what I might spend on repairing. I'm thinking it will need at min 2 valves. valve adjustment. Vertical cylinder so the motor has got to drop.

Is this a $1k repair or less? OR should I just pic up a used motor and be on my way?

Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've just done mine. One head went. I had new valves and guides and it cost about £220 in UK money. I don't know if its a straight conversion but if you do as much work yourself as possible its definately worth fixing rather than buying a new motor.
However if you're paying someone else to do all the work then get a new motor.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Are you replacing the valves yourself or having a shop do it? 4 valves on ebay can be purchased for $65.......

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you're talking trailering it to the shop and have them do it all, I'd say it is well over $1K. If you can take the engine out (or pivot), yank the head, bring it to a motorcycle machine shop, source the guides (KibbleWhite), valves, seals etc yourself, I'd say you are looking at $400 if everything else is good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't even think of kibblewhite...Used them in my kx250f...

OK time to learn the adjustment of the valves...arghhh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm looks like no kibblewhites for a 97 in their catalog. any other sources anyone can think of. trying to keep costs down.

·
Registered
662 Posts
hmmm looks like no kibblewhites for a 97 in their catalog. any other sources anyone can think of. trying to keep costs down.
The KW part is listed as a '88-90' 750SS and Paso I believe. The guides are the same through at least 1998 for all the carbie 750/900 SSs.

You can't buy direct so you have to go through BCM Ducati or some other dealer with an account. I just bought a set and had them installed on a '96SS so they are a fit.

·
Registered
662 Posts
One more thing, the KibbleWhite's come in 01/02/04 oversize. Even though it was my first valve guide replacement, I went for the 02 oversize which the machinst had to take down very slightly for a perfect press fit. Mine were just worn but with the damage you sustained, you might be advised to get the old ones pressed out and measure for clearance before ordering.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK all ready to reassemble but I need a rocker arm helper spring. 79910611A Local guys don't have it. I've called many of the ducati.ms dealers, ducati seattle, fast by feracci, No one has one. Been told Italy is on vacation til sept 1...Anyone have an idea where I can find this $5 spring? Last thing I need to get going.
Heck I'd even take a used one...if someone wants to sell one.
Thanks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
OK all ready to reassemble but I need a rocker arm helper spring. 79910611A Local guys don't have it. .....Heck I'd even take a used one...if someone wants to sell one.
Thanks.
That sucks. It's not a part that fails much so it's definitely not going to be in stock anywhere. Same issue on ebay. Cycle salvage yards maybe of help if they happen to have a damage head. Try woundedduc.net, Mark wouldn't normally have those sorts of bits lying around but he may know where to find one.

·
Registered
272 Posts
if you haven't already (I guess your waiting on the spring anyway) you need to check that the valve seat is going to seal properly. You can put it together at TDCC, turn it over, and fill with water and watch for leaks. Fuel or a parts solvent is better but water works and may be easier. Also, if you didn't do it, I would suggest lapping the valve(s)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts