Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who are not allergic to spreadsheets, I've created a calculator to help make the measurement, accounting, shim swapping, and verification steps a bit easier for a valve inspection and/or adjustment. I should point out that I use the in situ clearance checking method outlined in LT Snyder's book, ducatisuite.com, and likely elsewhere.

You can either nerd out like me and take a laptop into your work area, or you can print a sheet out and write the values down, then take them to a computer to fill out the spreadsheet. I've set the print area so that the whole table should print out onto 1 page for convenience.

The file is here: [url="http://redboston.com/duc/DesmoCalc_v3.xls"]http://redboston.com/duc/DesmoCalc_v3.xls[/url]
(Right-click and Save As...)

You need Microsoft Excel to use it. There are 3 sheets in the file (tabs at the bottom). I created it using a monitor set a resolution of 1024 x 768, so you may or may not have to scroll around to see everything on the sheets.

Sheet 1: EXPLANATION - describes how the calculator works.

Sheet 2: ST3-6k measure - the calculator that I set up for my ST3. You can modify it for your particular needs. Be sure to read the EXPLANATION page and heed the warnings found there.

Sheet 3: ST3-6k verification - the same as 2, but after assembling the engine, I'll put the verification measurements into this page.

I'll more than likely create new tabs for each valve inspection/adjustment as well as print hard copies for my records.

Please let me know if you find any errors in the calculator or any gibberish in the explanation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Excel valve calcuation file

This sounds like a great spreadsheet.
I couldn't get to the server and was wondering about the link.
Could you please let me know the link?
Thanks
05' ST3

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oilyduc-

The link was in the first post... However, I could email it to you if you are having trouble getting to the file. PM your email address to me and I'll email it to you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
BMWKen, will you post your 4-valve mod? Thanks,
Here is a 4v sheet that is a take off on the EMS manual work sheet. Be careful to set one type of shim, e.g. opener shims, first, then do the others. The spreadsheet that started this thread, if followed literally, will have you measure non-loaded clearance and loaded clearances, then enter the measurements where it then does the calculations for both types of shims. Look closely at the math an you will see that in this case, one caluclated new shim size is included in the calcualtion for the other shim. The result is every time you confirm measurements, you will be out of spec because the sheet is using dependent data, not independent. Sort of like circular reasoning. So, do one type, put in the new size shims, then check the other type of shim clearances and make the appropriate changes.. The EMS sheet provided will walk you throught the process.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here is a 4v sheet that is a take off on the EMS manual work sheet.
I just had it confirmend - spreadsheets cannot be uploaded to this forum. Anyone wanting the spreadsheet mentioned in by reply, pls contact me off line and I'll email it to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.