Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to do the open and closer shims on my '06 sport 1000.( one of the early one's)

Any of you smart guys know how I can check to see if I have any valve guide wear? In the event that I do, does anyone know where I can get better aftermarket one's? If I ordered new guides from DNA will they be any better? Am I going to need new valves?, who should I send my heads to, to do the work?

I don't have any symptoms that lead me to believe I have worn guides, like a puff of smoke on deceleration. Just that I have a early one, so I'm half exspecting it.:think:

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
hey.

my bike is going tomorrow to get preventive surgery for the same thing. upon the 15K service, my mechanic saw signs of wear on the guides and recommended I took it to the dealer to get this done under warranty, and so that's what I'm doing.

here are the exact signs of wear pointing towards soft guides:

-elongated shim
-broken collet
-valve is loose in the guide

note that there are no symptoms from riding, the bike runs fine and he said I could ride it for another 2K/3K miles before the thing goes out.

I have a 2007 bi-posto, but I tend to think it was in the earlier batch as well because I had the fuel line problem, and also, and I may be wrong on this one... but my crank case has a little window indicator (like the oil level window on the other side) which is on every Paul smart and monoposto. Some GTs and Bi-posto have it, but most of the recent models have a screw instead... so I came to that conclusion myself, so I could be dead wrong.

anyway, hope this helps.
cheers,
D.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DGJ,

I appreciate the info. Do you know who's guides they are going to use?, do they have to replace the valves to?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
they are replacing them with stronger ones, which are the OEM guides in the newer bikes. I asked to make sure they wouldn't put the same ones in, and they explained that they had one bad batch for the 06/ early 07 bikes, but that the issue has been rectified going forward.

I can only assume that is the valve is damaged as a result, they would change it too...

·
Registered
54 Posts
they are replacing them with stronger ones, which are the OEM guides in the newer bikes. I asked to make sure they wouldn't put the same ones in, and they explained that they had one bad batch for the 06/ early 07 bikes, but that the issue has been rectified going forward.

I can only assume that is the valve is damaged as a result, they would change it too...
Was there a recall on it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts