Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well kids, the unthinkable has happened. Guides need replacement.

I won't use the forum as a whipping-post, and ask that you don't either. I will let you know how my issue is ultimately resolved.

Out of respect to everyone (.MS members, the DNA service representative, and the attending dealer) I ask that we not open this up to the court of opinion. Everything's been courteous thus far & the purpose of my thread is to gather a little info from my trusty .MS brethren.

Specifically, if you've had the valve guide issue, please post:
- model & year
- approximate mileage at the time you learned of the defect
- resolved satisfactorily (yes / no)
- mileage now
- any related valve train problems since the repair (yes / no)

Feel free to PM me if you wish to commiserate, but please-please-please keep the public posts factual.

Chuck- please use your discretion on the posts. If they're turning caustic- please squash the thread ASAP.

·
Registered
511 Posts
So, am I to assume that there is a valve guide issue going on? This is my first Duc, what model are we talking about? The reason that I am asking is that I work in a cylinder head shop, and to be frank, there isn't a whole lot to a valve guide. If the new one is in the right place, is made of the right material, has the right clearance, that's really about all there is to it. Could you elaborate on what is going on with them? Judging by the wording of your thread, someone is a bit sensitive about the subject.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I've spent some time on the specific Multistrada websites and to my knowledge this issue was one involving sporatically 03-06 Multis. Many of them were fixed by DNA outside of warranty. Apparently the defect was a material one. I have never heard of a case of faulty valve guides involving any other model.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
corndog- (that's a great name)

i also have only seen/heard of problems with dual-spark heads from the '03-'06 period as John mentioned. very sporadic & apparently addressed promptly by DNA under warranty & corrected by the factory for subsequent models & years. i have a friend across the country who had a multi with the DS engine from the target dates that experienced the issue. mine's also from that time period, but single-spark heads.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I had to replace the guides and one valve on my 1992 SS with 36,000 on it at the time. Does this count?

·
Registered
849 Posts
2004 Multistrada

I purchased it when it had just over 4000 miles on the odometer. Within 1000 miles it started stalling and the symptoms were manifesting themselves. I had the major service done locally by Dynoworks in Sarasota (no local dealer) and he had the valve guides worked on by Mellimoto in Ocala, FL. I didn't get any assistance from DNA as far as replacement costs.

Since the repair, I have not had one problem with the bike. It runs so much better than when I first purchased it.

Luckily I knew about the valve guide issue before I purchased it so he knocked about 1000 bucks of the price...

Hope that's what you needed to know.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ducati has had problems with excessive valve guide wear on just about all of their bikes from day one.

The valve guides on my 1977 900ss wore out before the bike had 10k miles on it.
One of the exhaust valve guides on my 1986 F1b was installed incorrectly by the factory, and both had excessive wear by the time the bike had 6K miles on it.
The exhaust valve guides on my 1992 900ss were worn out (huge amount of play, 1/16") before the first service.

The valve guides on my 2003 Multistrada wore out, causing poor idle and stalling problems before the bike had 10k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
so i'm being told that although there's "warranty" on the faulty exhaust valve guides per EPA regulations (5yrs/ 18k miles), the servicing dealer informs me that Ducati will not cover labor to disassemble / reassemble the mess.

so i'll get the "doing you a favor" price from the servicing dealer

if it's legit, then i'm prepared to pay a reasonable amount for good service to get my baby back on the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, at the worst and an owner has to pay the full shot what is he looking at for labour and parts ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts