Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I intend to remove the front lower valve cover of my SC to repaint it as the paint has almost all flaked off. The questions are:

Do I need to drain the oil to do this or will there only be a little leakage?

Will I need to replace the O ring/seal?

Any advice on repainting? I was intending to use PJ1 flat black exhaust paint to get a satin finish (and I have some left over from my exhaust), will this work?

I was also thinking of perhaps getting the Magnesium covers, does anyone have these? Does the finish last better that the OEM painted ones?

As always your help is appreciated.

R

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I simply removed the paint and polished mine. They have some patina now, but could easily be polished back out.

How many miles on the bike? You don't need to replace the oring in my opinion, just use some white lithium grease upon reassembly and it will help the oring seat better and also fill any gaps, preventing seeping.

You don't need to drain the oil, and yes, a little will be pooled in the valvev cover/head, but nothing a couple rags won't take care of and not enough to change the oil level in the crankcase.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I simply removed the paint and polished mine. They have some patina now, but could easily be polished back out.

How many miles on the bike? You don't need to replace the oring in my opinion, just use some white lithium grease upon reassembly and it will help the oring seat better and also fill any gaps, preventing seeping.

You don't need to drain the oil, and yes, a little will be pooled in the valvev cover/head, but nothing a couple rags won't take care of and not enough to change the oil level in the crankcase.
Polishing sounds like a nice easy answer!

It's just been through it's first major service so the O ring would have been replaced. I think I'll take it off, clean it up, and if there is any seepage after I re-install, order up another o-ring.

Thanks

R

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks Diedrich, good advice, as usual.

Someone told me the silliest thing: it tends to rain a lot in Scotland. I didn't want to believe it. ;) Anyway if you polish the covers, expect to have to keep them up with a metal polish. You can also have them powdercoated clear too... Just a thought.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Diedrich, good advice, as usual.

Someone told me the silliest thing: it tends to rain a lot in Scotland. I didn't want to believe it. ;) Anyway if you polish the covers, expect to have to keep them up with a metal polish. You can also have them powdercoated clear too... Just a thought.
You bet it rains! These bikes aren't really made for the weather here, but I don't mind some wear and tear....makes you less worried about taking it out on track! then again after you drop it once or twice on track............

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I finally got he cover off, prep'ed and painted it in the Satin Black that I used to repair my exhaust, and I'm very happy with the finish.

Just one question, I am changing the bolts to stainless and need advice on whether I locktite or anti-seeze?

Thanks

R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts