Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a 2V '01 750 engine, what should the valve clearances be? My Haynes manual shows (coverted from the listed mm) openers on both intake & exhaust .002-.006 and closers on both intake & exhaust .000-.008.
The numbers I've seen on Ducati DIY sites all seem to suggest tighter clearances, especially on the closers (.000-.001). I'll admit, I'm nervous to set them very tight.
What does everyone think?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Closers should be as tight as possible for the optimum setup.
As long as you can turn the camshaft without resistance you should be ok.
As a rule of thumb set them so the shim rotates when the rocker arm is pushed downwith the smallest possible clearance.
In practise as long as it is within the tolerances you will be fine

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, setting them that tight is OK? Don't have to worry about binding, or something, when the engine gets up to temp?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Set the openers to 004" and the closers to 001" to 0015" if you can. The closers are best measured with a dial indicator but that usually requires the heads to be off the bike.The"feel" method can be deceptive as drag is sensed differently by people.If you oil the lobe on the cam and the rocker wipes it off while you percieve almost no resistance then you are in the ballpark but it takes practice and patience to get there.The prevailing wisdom is to run somewhat on the loose side with the closers because heat closes up the clearance and compression will help the valves seal anyway.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Get The Book

http://www.desmotimes.com/

get LT Snyders classic work and he will explain it all to you... this book is the best investment you can make in your Ducati:think::think::think::think::think:

http://www.desmotimes.com/

DUCS RULE …Rice grinders drool..

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Registered
123 Posts
I found the way that works for me is remove t-belt from cam pulley remove clips on both opener push to the side out of the way set closer as tight as possible so when you turn the cam pulley with one finger you do not feel any drag . Verify before doing next. Some sanding maybe required

mine came out to .0005 also install mbp collets

1 - 8 of 8 Posts