Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m doing the first valve check 2016 1200 multistrada, been researching for awhile and so far it’s been pretty straight forward but I’m confused with something. I have the worksheet I printed out from one of the duc sites and the say to record my measure in block A and the recommended in block B and then to subtract B from A, smaller from bigger. In my case for a few valves B is bigger then A. Ex. Intake opener is .10mm specs is .13 to .18mm, if I take .15mm as the target I would need a shim .05mm smaller, correct? Why are they saying subtract smaller from bigger, shouldn’t it just be subtract B from A no matter what the actual mesure is? Also what should I be aiming for in the specification range, tight end , loose end or right in the middle? I ride the bike fairly easy but do quite a bit of miles during our QUEBEC riding season, 30000kms since new.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The addition/subtraction confusion comes from the gap...typically your always reducing the closer clearance and looking to increase opening clearance

Increasing opener gap requires a numerically smaller shim

Decreasing closer clearance requires a numerically larger shim

I've found .07mm closer & .18mm opener to be just about optimum...monster 821...after numerous adjustments, this setting gave the cleanest looking valve

·
Registered
701 Posts
. Ex. Intake opener is .10mm specs is .13 to .18mm, if I take .15mm as the target I would need a shim .05mm smaller, correct? Why are they saying subtract smaller from bigger, shouldn’t it just be subtract B from A no matter what the actual mesure is?
I always aim for the tight side and at .10 for an opener I would leave it alone for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts