Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, my 2007 Sport 1000 is at about 8,500 miles, so I was planning to take it in for a valve service. The Duc dealer is quoting $1,200 (actually $1,050 with the coupon they sent me). Is that the price others are typically seeing?

Also, I was thinking of having them change the belts at the same time, as they are now 6 years old. Are most of you doing the same every 5-6 years? I know the factory says 2 years, but that seems crazy...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
you need to clarify what is included in the service they are quoting you on. you may find timing belt replacement is part of the quote, and that will impact the relevance of comparing costs.

i would replace belts that were 6 years old.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just did my belts and valve check last week and it was pricey but not THAT pricey. I got the belts myself and paid about $750. This was not at a dealer though but the job was really well done.

Maybe shop around first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Valve Service Cost

My experience... the price can range depending on the work executed. You'll need new belts, and getting into the valve adjustment is tedious work, so it tends to get expensive. I'd say for everything handled, you should be between $800 - $1200 depending on who's doing it and the level of quality in execution. I've done this work while adding some extras to make the labor cheaper, i.e. adding Magnesium Ducati Performance Valve Covers, adding titanium belt hardware (www.stradafab.com), and titanium bolt kits. It sounds like a decent price with the discount if its a dealer (dealers tend to have higher labor hourly). If a hundred bucks breaks the bank, maybe shop for a local mechanic, but I prefer my work done right by my local dealer and my favorite mechanic so I don't mind paying 1K-1.2K. Best of luck on your service, and posts some pics when its done. Hello to Denmark from California!

·
Registered
64 Posts
It seems expensive to me but not out of line with my experience. The first few years that I had my 07
GT I took it to one of my 2 local dealers for service. Each dealer about an hour away in opposite directions. An annual service would work out to be in the neighbourhood of $1000 and half a day. There would be a checklist of service points that varied from year to year depending on the mileage. Regardless of weather I had been touring (high mileage) or not (low). It kinda made me wonder but I was ok with it thinking I was doing the right thing for my bike and getting the best available service work done. Then the oversights started to appear. The rear axle nut was not torqued properly twice. Not only dangerous but also causing unnecessary chain and sprocket wear. Then I started looking closer and other similar oversights came to light. The last straw for me was when they broke a chunk off the cush drive flange and pretended like it never happened. I know that stuff happens but when it does you should take responsibility. I do all my own wrenching now. There is a learning curve and time spent but I take my time and tend the details and can be totally confident in the results. Oh yeah, and I have save thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you go over to the Super Sport forum on MS there is a sticky link at the top to some excellent videos on how to do valve adjustments yourself. Save a pile of cash and learn to do it yourself. If you are uncomfortable doing the actual adjustments (if it actually needs it) then at least learn to check them to be sure they do need it before you take it in. The dealer is probably going to charge you just about the same money if he checks them and finds them to be in spec as he would if he does have to reshim. My S1K Mono had the valves checked by the dealer at 600 miles as part of the sale price but I have done the checks myself since then. The bike has about 14K miles and they have not yet needed any adjustment...they've always been spot on at every check. I don't bounce the engine off the rev limiter but I don't baby it either. Gaining access is the hardest part of the job to check clearances but it's mostly just time consuming on the 2V air cooled motors.

And change those ancient belts! That's also an easy DIY job and there are good How-To videos of that task as well. If you had ever seen a pic of the results of a broken belt I'm pretty sure you would change them before the next engine start up. It's not pretty.

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
I recommend Phoenix Motorsports in Kenosha (On Sheridan Rd, just north of Wisconsin line)

Home

He is a certified Ducati mechanic, I have personally been using him for years.
The most knowledgeable, meticulous mechanic I have ever known.

And, the best shop rates I have seen.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I think valve adjustment on a Ducati is just complicated enough to make people uncomfortable with it. Fidgeting around with all those tiny bits and remeasuring can make you feel like you may be over your head. I can remember being nervous about doing it right until I was all done and everything was in spec again. Then I stood back and thought “ That wasn’t so bad “. After the first time , I knew it was no big deal. Just something I was going to take my time with and do right. I do wish I had a shim kit though, that would make it so easy.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Note: Some info for an ST3

Earlier this month I dropped $866 for a service on my ST3, it’s not apples to apples but it’s a data point. This was for a valve clearance check (no shims needed), and an oil change, the belts only have a year on them so no replacement needed. They did find a broken closer spring so there was some cost from that. I brought the bike to them with the bodywork stripped off. This dealer’s labor rate is $120 an hour. 3 valve heads are a little more labor intensive.

Earlier this year I had a similar service done on my ‘11 Hypermotard. 2 valve air cooled so maybe a little closer comparison. Clearance check (2 shims needed) and an oil change, again belt replacement not necessary. Bill was $570.

And yeah, it’s past time to do those belts. Those I can do, Cheers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you go over to the Super Sport forum on MS there is a sticky link at the top to some excellent videos on how to do valve adjustments yourself. Save a pile of cash and learn to do it yourself. If you are uncomfortable doing the actual adjustments (if it actually needs it) then at least learn to check them to be sure they do need it before you take it in. The dealer is probably going to charge you just about the same money if he checks them and finds them to be in spec as he would if he does have to reshim. .
OP Here...

Thanks for all the input!

The dealer did actually say the price is the SAME whether or not the valves actually need adjustment.

I think the price is in line with reality, and I really don't have the know-how to do it myself. While I wrench on cars, I've never learned how do much on bikes. I'm going to run into the dealer and see what they come up with in terms of an estimate for the valves and belts. I'll be back to let everyone know...

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey Shooter, did you get your valves done yet? I hit 7501 miles yesterday on my last ride of this year and will be taking my bike into the shop to have them checked soon. My biggest fear is that I might have the "soft valve guide" issue. Just wanted to see if the shop said anything to you regarding this...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts