Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here...and maybe my first Ducati.

I currently have a BMW bike and was thinking about the new ST3 later this year---maybe late fall for a good used bike deal or dealer deal.

I'm looking at an '03 ST3 with very low miles (less than 2k). If things work out, I'll to get a brief test ride Friday. Its a 2004 model. It has the the hard bags (which as I understand all such bikes came that way). Asking price is $9,500.

Appearance: very good...very minor scratches on the left muffler...possibly from very low speed tip over...speculating.

Mechanical: its at a Ducati dealer so I doubt I'll get a chance to talk to the original owner (weird sounding circumstances too long to get into) to gain any insight.

I'm going to do some searching to see what a reasonable retail price range might be. NADA puts high retail at around $8,900. That $-figure seems reasonable but I don't have a basis on which to base my conclusion.

I'm thinking if I like the results of a test ride I may buy the bike, ride it thru the summer, see what I think, and sell one of the two. Every time I've owned two bikes, one sits 99% of the time and the other gets ridden.

But I'd like some opinions from Ducati owners as to what they think.

Thanks in advance your input.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Fly said:
My first post here...and maybe my first Ducati.

I currently have a BMW bike and was thinking about the new ST3 later this year---maybe late fall for a good used bike deal or dealer deal.

I'm looking at an '03 ST3 with very low miles (less than 2k). If things work out, I'll to get a brief test ride Friday. Its a 2004 model. It has the the hard bags (which as I understand all such bikes came that way). Asking price is $9,500.

Appearance: very good...very minor scratches on the left muffler...possibly from very low speed tip over...speculating.

Mechanical: its at a Ducati dealer so I doubt I'll get a chance to talk to the original owner (weird sounding circumstances too long to get into) to gain any insight.

I'm going to do some searching to see what a reasonable retail price range might be. NADA puts high retail at around $8,900. That $-figure seems reasonable but I don't have a basis on which to base my conclusion.

I'm thinking if I like the results of a test ride I may buy the bike, ride it thru the summer, see what I think, and sell one of the two. Every time I've owned two bikes, one sits 99% of the time and the other gets ridden.

But I'd like some opinions from Ducati owners as to what they think.

Thanks in advance your input.

Sorry, but i may be mistaken, but i believe the first year for the st3 wat 2004. might want to check on that

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think if you take the time to look around, you could probably do a little better, especially if the one your looking at is stock, but there is something to be said for one that is available here and now. I recently had the opportunity to buy a brand new 2004 ST3 from the dealer for $9500. About that same time I saw a 2005 ST3 with around 1500 miles, about 120 miles away, on ebay that sold for $9400 (winning bid). Ultimately, I traveled about 500 miles for a 2004 ST4S with very low mileage. It looked absolutely new when I saw it in person, with over a year left on the warranty, and already had all the options that I would have wanted and more (which probably would have cost another $2500 at the dealer).

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Seems like there was one for sale/just sold on this board in Raleigh for about $7500 but it had 7K or so on the clock and had been dropped (very minor damage). So if you can score a mint low mileage bike for $8000 ish I think that you would be doing well. I am amazed at how cheaply the ST3 is trading, thats a lot of bike for the money.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DUC_54 said:
Sorry, but i may be mistaken, but i believe the first year for the st3 wat 2004. might want to check on that
Correct...I mistyped in the message...the bike is a 2004 ST3.

After looking around, I thing the bike is worth more like $8500-$8900, at least to me. Knowing the dealer, they won't drop the price to that range.

Anyway, maybe tomorrow for a test ride. Today is a total rain-out.

And thanks for the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.