Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 996s
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on an all original 2000mi 96 M900 with two sets of tanks and guards.
Never dropped.
I know the bike and the owner.
Even the tires are original (not that I'd keep them)
I'm having a hard time putting a price on it.
Can anyone help me with what is the value of this bike?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
It's going to need at least $2,000 in maintenance parts and labor, probably closer to $3k. All rubber including belts, brake lines, fuel lines - all fluids including fork oil. New battery, and while the R/R is ok now, I would replace it with a modern one. Probably a complete carb clean and restore, so a good look into the fuel tank might let you know what it is going to be like. Sure, it is going to need a valve check and very likely adjustment, definitely an adjustment after you put a couple thousand miles on it.

After it is all done just to the original specs with no upgrades I'd say it's worth around $6,000 on the West coast or New England states, less in the Midwest. You can find a lot of these bikes with more mileage that have awesome upgrades in perfect condition for that much though. Several really nice all original ones under 10k miles in Arizona the last two years have gone for @ $3,300 (about half original price) but they sold a lot of that model here originally and while not common there are a lot of these garage queens here.

If I were to make an offer on a red or black one, I would say $3,000 with the knowledge that all labor would be done myself. I would upgrade a few parts like the fork springs, exhaust cans, seat, braided brake/clutch lines which is going to hit $2k pretty quick in parts when added to the must do items.

·
Registered
99 996s
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's going to need at least $2,000 in maintenance parts and labor, probably closer to $3k. All rubber including belts, brake lines, fuel lines - all fluids including fork oil. New battery, and while the R/R is ok now, I would replace it with a modern one. Probably a complete carb clean and restore, so a good look into the fuel tank might let you know what it is going to be like. Sure, it is going to need a valve check and very likely adjustment, definitely an adjustment after you put a couple thousand miles on it.

After it is all done just to the original specs with no upgrades I'd say it's worth around $6,000 on the West coast or New England states, less in the Midwest. You can find a lot of these bikes with more mileage that have awesome upgrades in perfect condition for that much though. Several really nice all original ones under 10k miles in Arizona the last two years have gone for @ $3,300 (about half original price) but they sold a lot of that model here originally and while not common there are a lot of these garage queens here.

If I were to make an offer on a red or black one, I would say $3,000 with the knowledge that all labor would be done myself. I would upgrade a few parts like the fork springs, exhaust cans, seat, braided brake/clutch lines which is going to hit $2k pretty quick in parts when added to the must do items.
So sans any work being done to it, about 2G to 3G depending on location.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
I agree with belter. A low mile all original bike is one of two things.

1. the closest you get to a brand new vintage bike. Yes as rock has stated you will want to do a few things to get it safe to ride. I would do fluids, belts, tires and if that's all it needs to run long enough for you to know if it is worth keeping. If you like it and want a better bike do suspension and change the brake lines. Know that it likely has chrome engine studs but at least the engine does not need to come out to fix them.

2. Collector bike. This is where this bike should likely stay if it is all stock and in great original shape, there just are not that many all stock monsters as that was what was so much fun about them
** modifying them**. A pristine low mile all stock bike that is about 25 years old is exactly what collectors look for and will pay accordingly because they do not make them any more and a restoration on a modded one will cost much more than spending top dollar on a un touched one. This does mean if you are buying it for collector value you also should not be adding miles if possible or you lower the value.

I would have to see it and understand why a 2000 mile bike that has never been down has 2 gas tanks and what are "guards" ? if frame sliders that is a minus as I see frame damage from them more often than not if the bike hits them.

As a rider I would expect around $4000-5000 as a collector $5000-10,000 --- likely only at a auction where collectors hunt for rare bikes. I

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
A couple years ago I had a honda 600 hurricane in the shop with about 4000 miles in showroom condition. It had the original tires still on it hard as a rock, I took a careful road test ride on it.

·
Registered
99 996s
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with belter. A low mile all original bike is one of two things.

1. the closest you get to a brand new vintage bike. Yes as rock has stated you will want to do a few things to get it safe to ride. I would do fluids, belts, tires and if that's all it needs to run long enough for you to know if it is worth keeping. If you like it and want a better bike do suspension and change the brake lines. Know that it likely has chrome engine studs but at least the engine does not need to come out to fix them.

2. Collector bike. This is where this bike should likely stay if it is all stock and in great original shape, there just are not that many all stock monsters as that was what was so much fun about them
** modifying them**. A pristine low mile all stock bike that is about 25 years old is exactly what collectors look for and will pay accordingly because they do not make them any more and a restoration on a modded one will cost much more than spending top dollar on a un touched one. This does mean if you are buying it for collector value you also should not be adding miles if possible or you lower the value.

I would have to see it and understand why a 2000 mile bike that has never been down has 2 gas tanks and what are "guards" ? if frame sliders that is a minus as I see frame damage from them more often than not if the bike hits them.

As a rider I would expect around $4000-5000 as a collector $5000-10,000 --- likely only at a auction where collectors hunt for rare bikes. I
Mud guards.
The owner is an artist and painted a second set of tanks and front and read mud guards.
And I should have bought it when he first offered it at 3000 about 8 years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Back in the dealership days we had a customer from NY who painted his monster with all kinds of fairy's and stuff, very well done but it looked a little out of place since the owner looked more harley than fairy. Our parts Gal came outside to check it out (as it clearly was a professional job and different), after about 5 minutes of looking at it in detail she stood back and exclaimed "Vaginas!"

Lol sure enough each bit of artwork was actually a illusion depending on what you happened to see and once we looked again you could clearly see the "hidden" artwork. This made the owner chuckle something like you really think I wanted pictures of fairy's on my monster? We loved that bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts