Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 1

6’th Morbidelli - 1 year in Motogp First time on a Yamaha.

11’th Bagnaia - First time on a Motogp bike.

15’th Mir - First time on a Motogp bike.

16’th Rabat - First time back on bike after very serious injury.

17’th Zarco - First time on KTM

18’th Lorenzo - First time on Honda.

Let the excuses begin. :)

Maybe tomorrow will be better. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
comrade moderator
27,345 Posts
Vinales and Rossi, 1st and 3rd respectively with the new motor...shows promise for Yamaha.
Marquez didn't do a whole lotta laps cause his shoulder is messed up but still second fastest.
Bradl did a lot of laps for Honda and was fast.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
All the usual suspects up top. For me the stand out was how uncomfortable Jlo looked. Zarco looked good. And so did Iannone. I expect more from petrucci and Miller.

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s easy to look comfy when you’re going slow.

Oops, excuse me. I misunderstood.

Exactly.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Zarco looked good? Crashed twice on Wednesday, 1.7 off P1 in 20th, and didn't sound very positive in his post test interview. I think the reality of riding the KTM hit him square in the junk. Lorenzo finished .8 off P1 in 12th and is probably still hurt. Morbadelli is the guy that looked really good, probably glad to be off the Honda. All 3 Ducati GP19s in the top 5.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
day 1 = nothing of any importance. certainly no reason for anyone to be watching laps times.

day 2 = of only slightly more importance. and, still not much reason to be watching laps times.

in AD's own words from the end of the test - "“Like always, and in the last two years, the tests are not important,” he said. “The lap time at the end of the day is not important, in every test. If you make the test in Qatar before the race it’s a bit more important.

“The quantity of tyres is not a lot. if you are in a factory team and you have a lot of stuff to try, you have to use the tyre to make the right test. So you don’t use the tyre to make the fastest test. That effects the final result."

·
Registered
919 Posts
I’ve been worried Zarco may have taken a large step backwards going to KTM given their limited time in MotoGP. I hope I’m wrong but watching Zarco suffer for a few seasons outside the top 10 will be painful. Maybe the KTM bike will do good afterall and Zarco will adapt quickly.

I don’t think Lorenzo has interviewed much at all during this first test on the Honda. I really wanted to understand how he feels on the bike. All I could find was that he was smiling after doing some testing. That could just be PR on his part though. Maybe in Jerez some more light will be shed on his situation.

How about that Rookie on the Pramac? Looks like he is coming to grips with his GP18. The word is that even Marc was impressed by his performance in testing. I forgot his name as I don’t watch Moto2 really. Battaglia maybe?

Dovi said they found something interesting when working to still improve the turning for the GP19. He says they need to confirm it at a different track though. I’m very hopeful he can win next season as I think he would have been much closer if he had not had so many DNF this year. A few were just bad luck and I know one was his fault pushing too hard. But looking at Marc and how he completed as many races as he did he will be so hard to beat in 2019. So if Dovi has better luck, a great packaged bike, Marc has a little worse luck he could do it!

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
During the test the commentators mentioned that Lorenzo is not allowed to talk publicly about the Honda yet because technically he’s still under contract to Ducati until Jan 1.

All the rookies looked pretty good. But Morbidelli is damn fast on the Yamaha.

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Missed in the article and most of the posts here are:

~ race weekend was essentially all rain. track was as green at the end of the race as it was at the beginning of the weekend. no proper 2018 dry setups were developed. so, no baselines to start the test with (once it did, finally, dry).

~ day 1 of test was more wet than dry for all the new bikes, new riders, new rider/bike/team combinations to start their working relationships.

~ day 2 of the test started the same way (wet and green). it wasn't until later that it was properly warm and dry. but, the track still had little rubber on it. in other words, it was still changing with each bike lap.

~ MM told in absolute terms, 'do not crash'. meaning he could not push as he normally would. JL, healing, getting to know a new team's workings, a new bike. JM, while on a Ducati, is on one two generations newer (and more than a little different) than what he was on 24 hrs earlier. etc, etc, etc.

~ so, the only truly meaningful thing to take from the article is, indeed, "A swallow doesn't a summer make."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts