Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mikuni makes a fuel pump driven via the two intake manifold ports. Has anybody tried replacing the fuel tank electric pump with one of these?

Scott

·
Registered
782 Posts
fuel pump . . .

I think the early Monsters came with a vacuum type fuel pump. The steel fuel line mounted inside the tank may be different on a vacuum fuel pump Ducati versus a electric fuel pump Ducati. Less length, different filter arrangement. Maybe someone on the Monster forum would know more.

Fred

·
Registered
16 Posts
If your bike is fuel injected, no, a vacuum pump won't produce enough pressure to run fuel injection.

When I had my 99 Monster 900, it used a vacuum fuel pump to keep fuel in the carbs when the fuel level dropped below 1/2 tank since the carbs were slightly above the middle of the tank. I used a universal vacuum pump designed to work in lawn tractors and racing go-karts. Cost about $20 on ebay and worked great. The trickiest part was finding a place to install it.

Is there something wrong with your electric fuel pump?

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you're having problems with your stock fuel pump, I think an external electric pump would be a better option than trying to fit the vacuum one. I believe ClickityClack is right, the vacuum pump most likely doesn't produce enough fuel pressure.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
many carb snowmobiles use these...riding mowers. Should work for a carbie. I doubt you "need" one to go to BOTH intake manifolds. Sounds too trick and money wasted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts