Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All, I noticed today my tank seems to be pulling a vacuum, ie when I stopped and unlocked the gas cap, the tank sides popped back out. Never encountered this before on any of my bikes, assuming a vacuum line blocked perhaps tho tank has never been off. and over 2k miles.

Chris

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
well if it is that noticeable you should also hear a hiss or woosh.... take it to the dealer...

·
Registered
48 Posts
As I have written before, my tank was collapsing and being sucked in from vacuum before I discovered that when my EVAP canister was installed, it apparantely crimped the bottom hose on the canister where the EVAP system (and fuel tank) vents because the hose during assembly was smooshed against the engine. Check this line...as soon as I attempted to pull the canister off, I heard a hissing noise as all the pent up vacuum was being released from the system. The bike also ran noticably better after finding and repairing this. In my opinion, the hose is cut too long, making it difficult (unless you are really careful) not to crimp it. And since these were being rushed out the door in Italy, I don't think they were being very careful.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
buck
Actually I did check that last nite and repositioned the hose. Could NOT get it to reproduce the vacuum probably (collapsing the tank) this afternoon tho the temp outside is the same. The only other thing I can surmise, the tank was empty and filled up yesterday on the way home.

Never had the issue before, so one way or another it seems to be gone.

The evap. cannister line is really badly positioned.

Chris

·
Registered
78 Posts
Had the same thing on mine,speak to your dealer - they replaced my tank as the breather vent hole in the tank had not been drilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Absolutely fine now!

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
Had the same thing on mine,speak to your dealer - they replaced my tank as the breather vent hole in the tank had not been drilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Absolutely fine now!
wow.. what a strange thing to have happened.. It think ducati should have put off the release date and built the bikes with a much higher quality control standard in place.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This happend to me today. The bike has 1500 kilo and since i had it, i could hear a little shhh when i open the cap. But i taugh it was a little pressure.but today i could clearly see the side pop out a bit. I guess i will have to check the canister and if i find nothing take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get rid of the cannister, the pressure build up on mine was so bad it split the paint and ducati had to replace the tank. Odd thing is had done nothing to anything to the bike, tank etc, just spontaneously happened.
Chris

This happend to me today. The bike has 1500 kilo and since i had it, i could hear a little shhh when i open the cap. But i taugh it was a little pressure.but today i could clearly see the side pop out a bit. I guess i will have to check the canister and if i find nothing take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
well i think i found the problem. The bottom line was so curved no air could pass. For now i just re routed the hose but i will remove the canister very soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup, had the same issue, found another post on here about the issue, and ripped that evap garbage right off. Problem solved, hasn't done it since in 600 miles.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mine had vacuum buildup too, to the point that when i shut down the engine and try to open the cap right now, i had to pull on the key to help open the cap.

Today before going to a ride i checked the canister and mine was routed exacly the same as Teufel. But the canister was also loose, they forgot to put the nut on the 2 bolts holding the canister bracket.

I pulled the canister, cut all hoses, used a screw to plug the vacuum hose, route the larger one to the ground, and in 5 minutes it was done (for now... will pull the vacuum hoses when i have to remove the tank).

Bike run better, i guess that affected fuel delivery.

And an air horn will definitely go there :cool:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Exact same here.... when I went to refuel first time I had a lot of vacuum on fuel lid. My hose was also kinked. For now I opened up the bend, but will look in thread for impacts of removing the evap can.

well i think i found the problem. The bottom line was so curved no air could pass. For now i just re routed the hose but i will remove the canister very soon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts