Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

V2s or v4s

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

new to the forum and about to buy a bike. Can’t decide between a multistrada v2s or v4s so thought I would ask here. I will have a little city riding in a busy city but really am looking to get out on to open roads and dirt tracks maybe some off road but nothing too serious
There is obviously a big price difference and although power is different acceleration and top speed etc seems similar.
From everyone’s experience which bike would you recommend and why please.
Thanks for any feedback

·
Premium Member
6,245 Posts
I am a twins guy so that is my built in bias. I would bet however the V4 may be cooler to sit on in traffic as well as easier to ride with less power 70-80% of the time. I would consider weight as well as which one will be cheaper or easier to maintain. I would not consider either a dirt bike as they are not built to crash and that happens more frequently off road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can’t speak to how hot the V2 gets, but the V4s gets really hot on the right side in slower traffic. Even with only 2 cylinders when it’s idling. Like, so hot it’s almost (but not quite) enough to make me switch to a different bike.

I am a twins guy so that is my built in bias. I would bet however the V4 may be cooler to sit on in traffic as well as easier to ride with less power 70-80% of the time. I would consider weight as well as which one will be cheaper or easier to maintain. I would not consider either a dirt bike as they are not built to crash and that happens more frequently off road.

·
Premium Member
6,245 Posts
Heat can be tough as heat = HP and the more you make the hotter things CAN get.
with a "L-Twin" you are sitting right above a exhaust port and the head is tall so not much distance from the heat. On a V4 you are also above 2 exhaust ports but due to the shorter stroke you may have some more room . plus cylinder deactivation might make it cooler than a twin.

Add in super lean for emissions and a catalytic converter and you have a two wheeled frying pan. For this reason I would never chose either as a city bike they simply are not fun in traffic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tested the V2 when it was badged the 950 back to back with a 1260 and I couldn't turn down the additional power. Since then though, I traded for the pike's peak. It, like I assume the V4s, feels much lighter and definitely easier to manage than the 1260, and very close to how I remember the 950 feeling. All that said, test ride both. If they feel similar to manage, I'd go for the more powerful engine. I LOVE my v4 pikes peak.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The 950 is awesome on the back roads, and very good in the gravel. Its also a very nimble bike. I haven't ridden the V4 Multi, but a mate has one. He traded his 950 because he needed more power for 2up. Try both, but if its town riding and back roads with occasional gravel, id have the 950 anyday, and over 320kms per tank.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2022 MTS V2S
48 Posts
You don't say much about your biking background so it can be a little hard to give you appropriate advice. If you were a GS guy, I would say get the V4 as it is just a much better GS. Personally though, I never fell in love with the GS, don't get me wrong, the GS is a superbly competent bike and the V4 is even more so, but for me, the V2S is smaller, lighter and more nimble and just easier to get into and out of trouble. It rewards you when you ride it well (as does the V4) but one of the things I love about the V2S is how quickly she will grumble and complain if you are in the wrong gear or don't treat her with the respect she deserves. For me, that makes the reward for getting it right even better. Anyone can ride the V4 and feel like a god, but when the V2S lets you know you did you right, you believe her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't say much about your biking background so it can be a little hard to give you appropriate advice. If you were a GS guy, I would say get the V4 as it is just a much better GS. Personally though, I never fell in love with the GS, don't get me wrong, the GS is a superbly competent bike and the V4 is even more so, but for me, the V2S is smaller, lighter and more nimble and just easier to get into and out of trouble. It rewards you when you ride it well (as does the V4) but one of the things I love about the V2S is how quickly she will grumble and complain if you are in the wrong gear or don't treat her with the respect she deserves. For me, that makes the reward for getting it right even better. Anyone can ride the V4 and feel like a god, but when the V2S lets you know you did you right, you believe her.
Thanks for feeedback. Actually originally I was considering GS also but had swayed to the Ducati. Most of my life have been a sport bike rider but wanted something for longer rides that is more comfortable etc

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I've ridden sport bikes for the last 40+ years but last year I came to the realization that at 72 YO I wanted "something for longer rides that is more comfortable etc". I found a clean low mileage 2012 1200 Pikes Peak. And it is exactly what you want. A big comfy couch with a ripping engine that handles just about as well as any sport bike. Can't argue with the multi-time fastest bike up the mountain you know. Yesterday I went in a 273 mile ride with some buddies in the northern VA mountains and decided to take my Sport 1000 instead of the PP. It was a great ride and I enjoyed riding the S1K in the twisties...but I'm paying for it today.

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Both are great machines, you can not really go wrong with either. I rode the Multi 950S (V2S predecessor) for 2 weeks in Spain this summer. I own a V4S Multi and had Multi 1200S Touring for 11 years and put over 50K miles on it. Here’s what I would say about the 950S vs the V4S. Most will hold true for the V2S. I found the smaller twin much more tractable at low speeds than my 1200S and much more suitable for low speed city riding. It’s a very nice machine and as far as Ducati twins, very smooth. But not as smooth as the V4s and of course not as powerful. The twin weighs less but surprisingly, in my experience, the V4s is more maneuverable at low speeds. The 950s had a tendency to be tippy in to very low speed maneuvers. Not horrible but not as stable as the V4s. Not sure if that would apply to the V2s but worth checking. Certainly the adaptive cruise and blind spot monitoring make the V4s the better machine for long distance and multi lane highway touring. And the wind protection is better on the V4s than the 950s. Plus, not being a desmo engine, the V4s costs much less to maintain if you plan to rack up lots of touring miles. I spent $1,700 on the last desmo service for my 1200S Multi. The twin in the V2s will also require those spendy desmo services. Bottom line, if you can swing the extra dough for the V4s, and plan to ride longer distances, I would go for that machine. If money is a factor, your not planning to rack up big highway miles and/or you just love Ducat twins, go for the V2s. You’ll love either bike.

·
Registered
2022 MTS V2S
48 Posts
If you really want a GS+, the recently announced V4 Rally might be worth a look. If you want the sport bike experience without the sport bike back, the V2S is worth a test drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts