Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GIVI 56L monokey case. Looking to switch to the V4 in a few weeks but I'm having trouble finding mounts for the case. Is there a way to do it now or do I just have to wait until 3rd party folks start making accessories for it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the mounts for the topbox are special, movable to the left and right, its a swinging system
I know that's what the new factory one does. I'm wondering if there's an alternative. I'm guessing GIVI, SW Motech etc will have mounts eventually.

Is the new OEM mount compatible with the standard monokey - anyone know?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to bring some closure to this one. I couldn't find any 3rd party mounting options so I picked up the official Ducati top case. It's the standard Givi monolock.

·
Registered
2021 Multistrada V4S Radar & Travel Pack
65 Posts
Cheers Prof._HH,

Just spotted your thread...... I see your all good to go.

I made my own conversion plate so I could mount my top case solidly to the V4SMS stock rack. It was a fiddle as it required some bending to match it to the angled threaded stock mounts, but I got there with the help of some cardboard template's....... nothing pretty, but painted black and mounted under the top case plate, it can't be seen.

You can't go wrong with the approved top case mounting system though...... but I only wanted a small top case (my Shad 33Ltr), not the official Givi case (40ltr or 48?).

The V4SMS just gets better and better as the miles add up - mine is smoother than ever now at 4.6k kms (2.8k mls) (y) though I just found my fork tubes were not precisely equal (1mm difference gave the bars a slight tendency to wiggle), so I adjusted them and added 2mm to sharpen the on road steering response (y). I have also wound the headlight aim up by 12 flats of the hex head adjusters, to get the proper beam spread and, more importantly, so car drivers can actually see me in daylight with my low beams on instead of the DRL. Night riding is good.... my beams don't blind oncoming traffic or frighten possums, but they were set dangerously low from the factory (I noticed many drivers turning in front of me so I started asking my riding mates if they could see me in their mirrors... you know what the answer was.....;)).

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cheers Prof._HH,

Just spotted your thread...... I see your all good to go.

I made my own conversion plate so I could mount my top case solidly to the V4SMS stock rack. It was a fiddle as it required some bending to match it to the angled threaded stock mounts, but I got there with the help of some cardboard template's....... nothing pretty, but painted black and mounted under the top case plate, it can't be seen.

You can't go wrong with the approved top case mounting system though...... but I only wanted a small top case (my Shad 33Ltr), not the official Givi case (40ltr or 48?).

The V4SMS just gets better and better as the miles add up - mine is smoother than ever now at 4.6k kms (2.8k mls) (y) though I just found my fork tubes were not precisely equal (1mm difference gave the bars a slight tendency to wiggle), so I adjusted them and added 2mm to sharpen the on road steering response (y). I have also wound the headlight aim up by 12 flats of the hex head adjusters, to get the proper beam spread and, more importantly, so car drivers can actually see me in daylight with my low beams on instead of the DRL. Night riding is good.... my beams don't blind oncoming traffic or frighten possums, but they were set dangerously low from the factory (I noticed many drivers turning in front of me so I started asking my riding mates if they could see me in their mirrors... you know what the answer was.....;)).

:D
Yes I agree on the low beam adjustment. Set mine up about a foot or so. I like the top edge of the beam to be on the trunk(boot) of the car in front. As high as possible without blinding. I wanted to put a Tanklock bag on the back, the 25Litre Givi bag so I made a plate to screw on that rear mount( with the angled screws) and then mounted the Tanklock adaptor to that. So I have the Givi 4 litre bag on the tank and another 4L bag for the rear. When I go touring I will put the 25 litre bag on the back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
:LOL:...... The mention of tanklock bags reminded me...... I use a 12Ltr Givi 3D Tanklock bag on my tank cap mount. It fits because I rotated the bars downwards, below the markings for 'Road' (by about the same distance as the marks for 'off road' - have a look inside the clamps for the markings - bars up for dirty work & stand up riding, bars down for on road seated riding).

Doing this gave just enough clearance for the handle bar to slip underneath the edge of the slightly too wide tank bag on full lock L&R....... the only other mod I did was to pop the plastic brake master cylinder locating pin out of the bracket and tension it lightly with a zip tie, so the m/c didn't touch the RHS of the tank bag on full right lock. I could have used my other Givi 3D tank bag (I forget ... a 603 or 602... Givi site is confusing) as it is also a 12Ltr expandable, but with a narrower base, unfortunately it is taller to the top, so it partially blocks the view to the TFT screen........

So if anybody wants to fit a bigger tank bag...... it can be done! (it just needs some minor tweaks).

That's both of my (?) Givi 12Ltr tank bags...... one low and fat, the other tall and skinny. Both are 3D Locker's... ignore the BF11 mounting reference - that was for my Aprilia 1200 tank cap.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
:LOL:...... The mention of tanklock bags reminded me...... I use a 12Ltr Givi 3D Tanklock bag on my tank cap mount. It fits because I rotated the bars downwards, below the markings for 'Road' (by about the same distance as the marks for 'off road' - have a look inside the clamps for the markings - bars up for dirty work & stand up riding, bars down for on road seated riding).

Doing this gave just enough clearance for the handle bar to slip underneath the edge of the slightly too wide tank bag on full lock L&R....... the only other mod I did was to pop the plastic brake master cylinder locating pin out of the bracket and tension it lightly with a zip tie, so the m/c didn't touch the RHS of the tank bag on full right lock. I could have used my other Givi 3D tank bag (I forget ... a 603 or 602... Givi site is confusing) as it is also a 12Ltr expandable, but with a narrower base, unfortunately it is taller to the top, so it partially blocks the view to the TFT screen........

So if anybody wants to fit a bigger tank bag...... it can be done! (it just needs some minor tweaks).

That's both of my (?) Givi 12Ltr tank bags...... one low and fat, the other tall and skinny. Both are 3D Locker's... ignore the BF11 mounting reference - that was for my Aprilia 1200 tank cap.....
Thank you. This is helpful. Do you find it a hassle to reach the “hands free “ on/off switch with the tank bag installed?

·
Registered
11 Posts

Hi DaveAu, Actually I am originally from Brisbane. Been here in the US since 89. I moved the bars to the offroad position as I prefer to be over the bars. I also mounted a RAM mount for my GPS.

In August I am going for a seven day ride from Los Angeles to Colorado Springs. Taking the bus to the top of Pikes Peak. The 25 litre bag is for my bike cover and my wet weather gear. Many years ago I visited my daughters in Madison Wisconsin. 2022 miles each way. Had a Triumph Sprint ST back then. Just had my 1000km service done. I used the Givi BF11 adaptor to mount the bag to the tank. Happy riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cheers @nalla57 ,

Now that you mention it, I didn't think to test if the 'off road' handlebar setting would clear my tank bag...... :whistle:..... but I feel more comfortable with the bars slightly lower than the 'road' setting mark, and I've got all the levers and mirrors adjusted to suit so I'll leave it there..... but the big bonus is I find the indicator switch more naturally than before (y).

Cheers @WmDaniel,

At the risk of sounding really dumb ( :LOL: )...... I haven't yet bothered to connect my smart phone to the smart bike :LOL:.

The sales guy said he'd help download the app and show me how too etc, but our paths haven't crossed yet, but I will get the navigation going soon....... just been too busy riding.

One thing I learned..... another V4SMS owner's phone pocket lid kept opening while riding, and won't latch shut - I had a look and the little slider catch inside has broken (mine's still ok but my phone is too wide to fit so I don't use the tank pocket). He said Ducati Aus will do a recall / warranty fix for those that break, but I'd prefer 2 more liters of fuel capacity over a non weather proof non lockable phone compartment ;). I carry my phone in the tank bag so I never forget it when parked up.

(y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cheers @nalla57 ,

Now that you mention it, I didn't think to test if the 'off road' handlebar setting would clear my tank bag...... :whistle:..... but I feel more comfortable with the bars slightly lower than the 'road' setting mark, and I've got all the levers and mirrors adjusted to suit so I'll leave it there..... but the big bonus is I find the indicator switch more naturally than before (y).

Cheers @WmDaniel,

At the risk of sounding really dumb ( :LOL: )...... I haven't yet bothered to connect my smart phone to the smart bike :LOL:.

The sales guy said he'd help download the app and show me how too etc, but our paths haven't crossed yet, but I will get the navigation going soon....... just been too busy riding.

One thing I learned..... another V4SMS owner's phone pocket lid kept opening while riding, and won't latch shut - I had a look and the little slider catch inside has broken (mine's still ok but my phone is too wide to fit so I don't use the tank pocket). He said Ducati Aus will do a recall / warranty fix for those that break, but I'd prefer 2 more liters of fuel capacity over a non weather proof non lockable phone compartment ;). I carry my phone in the tank bag so I never forget it when parked up.

(y)
Quite agree with the extra gas capacity. I don't use the tank pocket either. Won't fit a iphone 12. And I always use the Givi tank bag. One thing I just though of was as I was riding the bike to the dealer for the 1000km(600 mile for us) service the oil service indicator came on. Without my glasses all I could see was a RED oil symbol with something written underneath. Well to me that means, stop and turn off the bike you have an oil problem. So I got off the freeway, found a place to stop, had a good look at the symbol and saw Service written under the oil symbol. Why the hell not use blue or yellow some other colour, just not RED. Otherwise very happy now that I have full power. I was out riding when I went over the 600 mile setpoint and now the throttle gods are working. I'm not going to connect my bike to the phone as I connect my phone to my TomTom GPS. I didn't move the lever perches so rotating the bars to the offroad position moved the levers down where my fingers are. I have a set of aftermarket levers on order. Happy riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd rather have a little more fuel too. The phone holder is too small and the software is a bust for me. When it works, it's pretty fkng brilliant. When it doesn't, it's a total pain in the neck. In my case the works vs not works is about 20% so...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts