Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
@Shift-Tech
The V4's reason-d'etre was to increase HP and to compete in WSBK.
Torque is the name of the game on the street.
I would much prefer a 190hp, 105ft-lb torque 1299 V2 StreetFighter comeback with all the modern wiz-bangs. Bring it on!

1299 V2 vs V4: Torque and HP comparison

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
Are Ducati loosing their way in cutting edge design. Have they dumbed themselves down by building bikes that seem to more akin to Japanese/Korean cookie-cutters. Look at Audi/BMW/Benz, beautiful, elegant and more importantly, different from each other. On saying that, to each their own.

·
Bon Vivant
10,425 Posts
Are Ducati loosing their way in cutting edge design. Have they dumbed themselves down by building bikes that seem to more akin to Japanese/Korean cookie-cutters. Look at Audi/BMW/Benz, beautiful, elegant and more importantly, different from each other. On saying that, to each their own.
Every year the new Ducati bikes come out and people scream: "IT LOOKS JAPANESE!" Ducati is building bikes for novices, for girls, for cruisers guys, for touring/commuting, and certainly they are building racing bikes. What they dont have is a street oriented hyper performance bike to compete with the Tuono, the BMW S1000R, or the KTM superduke. Yeah the M 1200R is close but not quite. Too bad, they led the way with the streetfighter but it needed a little refinement - rather than refine it they dropped it. I dont think a screamer motor like the 1299 Pani or the new V4 are the ideal choice for new Streetfighter. I'm not sure what they are going to do in that segment but for now I guess they are going to ignore it. But in my eyes none of them look Japanese...

·
Registered
782 Posts
What they dont have is a street oriented hyper performance bike to compete with the Tuono, the BMW S1000R, or the KTM superduke. Yeah the M 1200R is close but not quite. Too bad, they led the way with the streetfighter but it needed a little refinement - rather than refine it they dropped it. I dont think a screamer motor like the 1299 Pani or the new V4 are the ideal choice for new Streetfighter.
Interesting closing comment about engine choices for a hypothetical future StreetFighter.
V4 may be expensive IMO but why not leverage existing production with the 1299 engine?
Seems perfect with it's mid-range grunt and top end power without having to spin at ludicrous rpm's.

Had there been a big StreetFighter in 2016, I would have purchased it.
However, I got played like a fiddle by Ducati and had to purchase two bikes instead of "the one" SF.

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
Every year the new Ducati bikes come out and people scream: "IT LOOKS JAPANESE!" Ducati is building bikes for novices, for girls, for cruisers guys, for touring/commuting, and certainly they are building racing bikes. What they dont have is a street oriented hyper performance bike to compete with the Tuono, the BMW S1000R, or the KTM superduke. Yeah the M 1200R is close but not quite. Too bad, they led the way with the streetfighter but it needed a little refinement - rather than refine it they dropped it. I dont think a screamer motor like the 1299 Pani or the new V4 are the ideal choice for new Streetfighter. I'm not sure what they are going to do in that segment but for now I guess they are going to ignore it. But in my eyes none of them look Japanese...

You need to quantify what ‘close but not quite’ is. I think the m1200 is a brilliant machine. More then enough of everything. It may not be ‘streetfighter’ styling but that’s a personal taste thing.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
This "max power above anything else" arguments is getting bloody tedious, it is also one of the reasons why biking is in the dire state that it is, big HP numbers do not = performance. Ducati lost the design plot right after PT left, they made a new Pani that is much the same as the old Pani, even have the same name, uninspired personified, so sure, someone will think stripping the fairing and calling it a SF will constitute something fresh. Very exiting, NOT!

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Why not just get a Tuono then...

My god that exhaust will be the first thing off that bike if I follow current planning and get one next (that's assuming Ducati doesn't release a v4 naked or refresh the Monster...).

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,124 Posts
Yep. And I’ve been wondering whether to paint those damn red wheels or just go BST. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
782 Posts
You need to quantify what ‘close but not quite’ is. I think the m1200 is a brilliant machine. More then enough of everything. It may not be ‘streetfighter’ styling but that’s a personal taste thing.
I agree that it's a brilliant machine for what I think it is: A great looking and performing Sport Roadster /Cruiser.
It does not have the look of a Hypernaked.
However, putting looks aside, it's not a performance contender either to the current Hypernaked such as the SuperDuke, Tuono, S1000R.
Although I love my Monster "R", a base model Monster and an "S" model is sufficient in the line-up. The "R" should be replaced with a SF IMHO.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Considering the sales flop the original SS was, I think it'll be a loooooong time before Ducati attempts another one.

I also agree that the "all new", change in philosophy, breaking with heritage V4 engine bike NEEDED a distinguishing name and design.

The name "Panigale V4" reeks of lazy and uninspired creation; the very thing that makes Italian bikes special.

I love the audacity at Ducati; just slap on a sticker (not even a paint job) on the Multi and a couple carbon bits, call it something flashy like "pikes peak" and charge $2000 more...

Also if they went the SS route, to keep up with the Ape, wouldn't they need to bump up displacement to 1100. I'm not sure if they'll go to all that trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Also if they went the SS route, to keep up with the Ape, wouldn't they need to bump up displacement to 1100. I'm not sure if they'll go to all that trouble.
The Tuono is a brilliant bike... it's a great bar to set, matching it with a big twin would be A-OK with me.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The Tuono is a brilliant bike... it's a great bar to set, matching it with a big twin would be A-OK with me.
The tuono just needs more leg room (seat to foot peg distance is,,, race bike) to be a lil more perfect.

Huh, who said anything about twins? Those bikes have already been made; ducati StreetFighter, 1st and 2nd gen Tuono, superduke, among many others.

Italians lead, not follow; Multistrada, Scrambler, Hyper etc...

·
Registered
352 Posts
My god that exhaust will be the first thing off that bike if I follow current planning and get one next (that's assuming Ducati doesn't release a v4 naked or refresh the Monster...).
Well worth it... I only think about replacing the exhaust when I'm not riding it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts