Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

V4 Multistrada

8K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  DaveK 
#1 ·
I got this off of FaceBook so it has to be true!!!!!!!!

"From 2020, Ducati will supplement the Multistrada series with a V4 model with around 190 hp and an innovative safety package.

The test drives around the plant in the Borgo Panigale district of Bologna have been going on for a year and a half, in 2020 the Multistrada V4 is finally to come. A recently caught Erlkönig shows that the sleek silhouette of the two-cylinder bikes is maintained by the narrow four-cylinder engine. Even otherwise, the prototype of the current V2-Multi looks very similar, which design updates Ducati the V4 variant still donated, remains to be seen.

#2 ·
I'd imagine the V4 would end up in most of their models in the next few years. Big twin engines are more or less maxxed out and if Duc doesn't evolve they'll become the Italian Harley. Ducatis with 1800cc L twin engines would be pretty stupid LOL

190hp for a MTS sounds kinda high, but would be pretty sweet.

If there's any truth to this it could pursauade me to stay on a diavel for a few years and either trade for a V4 MTS in a few years or maybe add one to the garage.

#9 ·
I can count on no hands the amount of times I wished it had more power.
Well, REAL men (and some very fast women riders on this forum) know that they really need a motorcycle with no less than 200 HP and 200 FT LBS of torque. :)

Yeah, I have scared myself silly a few times on my 2012. It is plenty capable of killing me as is. Never say never, but unless a more powerful bike fits me like a glove or the looks just catch my eye, I think my days of needing huge HP and torque are done.

#6 ·
Given that Ducati has moved the Multi in a more touring focused direction consistently since the last major redesign in 2010, it's hard to believe they would increase the HP that much. I could see them bumping it up to 170 though, just to take the crown back from KTM.

#11 ·
I've attended a couple of the Ducati Enduro Riding Experiences (one in Italy and one last month in Utah). They are hosting by the MTS test riders. I don't have any confidential insight, but I definitely get the feeling that Ducati Italy and Ducati North America see untapped potential in stronger MTS Enduro sales. I can't see them killing a road touring MTS (far from it), but it would not at all surprise me if the Enduro version played an increasingly stronger role in the line up.
The money they invested in the first round of Enduro training in Utah last month was massive!
I think differentiation from the GS is a goal.

#13 ·
You mentioned buffeting in your post and I take that as getting thrown around by air turbulence from cars and trucks. The main reason why I sold my older 07 1100S MTS was a total lack of wind protection while on the slab. I tried to salvage it by buying three different windshields, none met my satisfaction. I know helmets play a role as well and out of three brands I had, a Vemar lid performed the best. I'm sure there are others now better suited (designed) to handle buffeting and wind blast. I just take one look at the windshield of the newer MTS models and nothing about it tells me the situation has improved, how can you when it remains a tiny piece of plastic in front of you? I believe the focus should be on diverting the wind that comes underneath the windshield, over the tank and in your torso or head. However, maybe the windshields have improved and I just can't see it.

#14 ·
Wind management on the freeway around trucks is my least favorite aspect of my '17 DVT 1200s. I suspect that the longer swingarm on the 1260 is better but I haven't ridden that bike. I don't know how you could improve the situation with ending up with a much bigger, heavier bike like a BMW r1250rt or a Yamaha FJR 1300. So many bikes. So little time.

#15 · (Edited)
Wind management on the freeway around trucks is my least favorite aspect of my '17 DVT 1200s. I suspect that the longer swingarm on the 1260 is better but I haven't ridden that bike.
I have a MTS 1260 PP and it's extremely stable, oncoming trucks and all. Truth be told, I thought the 1200 was stable.
However, the Pikes Peak edition comes with two screens; the short Carbon Fiber and the STD taller clear.
The shorter CF is much more comfortable at high speed than the taller OEM.
It also cuts through the wind better than the bigger screen. The difference is significant.

#16 ·
I've never had a problem with stability on the Multi - it's a pleasure to ride at any speed it's capable of (I've not explored the far upper reaches but have been in the 130mph range.) If you have a top case then you do need to be careful at high speeds.

Buffeting is different (to me)... it's the wind that sneaks around the windscreen and hits your head and chest. It's not dangerous but IS fatiguing after a while. We (my cousin has a 13s with the same issue) experimented during one long trip (while riding a long straight 85mph limit 4-lane in TX) and found that the culprit is the cutouts on the side of the windscreen that are needed to allow the bars to turn to the locks (if you're at 75+ you can put your hands up in those two cutouts and the buffeting goes away). I don't think there's a fix for that other than moving the windscreen position forward so you have more clearance for steering and then you can make the windscreen wider (something I didn't want to do... my cousin added a bracket to do that and it seemed like it helped some)

#17 ·
Buffeting...........My last bike was a 2015 Harley Roadglide Ultra CVO, 1000lbs of road eating beast. Never found a truck that could push enough air to make that bike wobble. Fast forward to my current bike, 2018 Multi. At the same speed, 75, those same trucks still cannot push this bike around. It is rock solid. That being said, I feel the air a lot more than on the Road glide. I get pushed around but the bike never feels unstable. This is impressive to me given that the Multi is about half the weight of that Glide. I don't know what the answer is about me getting pushed around, unless like DaveK says, its coming around the lower portion of the windshield.

Referring to the mpg, I average about 44-45+, that's split between 2 lane twisty and highway riding. I could get more if I could lay off the throttle:laugh: I'm getting 200 miles per tank or less, actually hitting gas station around 160 miles. Coming from that Glide with the 6gal tank, I wish I had more gas.

On the HP front. This Multi has about twice the HP of my old Glide and weighs half as much:surprise: This is a huge change for me and I'm loving it>:) Would I like to have more, sure, but, seriously, this is a blast for me at the momnent:laugh:

#18 ·
Only issue I've had with the Cal Sci large windscreen I put on my 2018 is it generating a lot of turbulence right around the hinge area on a modular helmet. Seems unavoidable, unless you change the angle of the windscreen with risers. I know the stock screen has the same issue.

I just started riding with earplugs if I'm out for a longer trip, so it's probably doing me a favor.

#21 ·
The OP is about a V4 but we drifted into a topic about stability and now buffeting.
These threads sometimes have a life of their own which I'm just as guilty being an accomplice.
The latter: buffeting is a dead horse topic IMHO. It's been solved over and over again. The OEM screen is the issue.
The short screen has been demonstrated several times as THE best solution. There's zero buffeting; up or down. Nada
As @Motozen wrote; short = clean and he's 6'2".
For me at 5'8": Clean flow on helmet when down. Very little wind flow on helmet when up.
The trade-off: bugs at slow speed.

#25 ·
Announce maybe... when the DVT Multi was released I ordered in February and received about 2 weeks after folks reported the first bikes at the end of May

#29 ·
He's not wrong, though. Beauty always being in the eye of the beholder, still...I have a tough time believing anyone truly thinks the MTS is a beautiful bike. Panigale, sure, Diavel, maybe in a brutish sense, but the MTS is all about function. It's like a good pair of work boots, vs. the Pani's high heels. IMO, from a purely aesthetic perspective, it's easily the least attractive bike that Ducati makes. About 90% of that is an unavoidable feature of all ADV bikes; I can't think of one that isn't ugly, and to Ducati's credit, the MTS might be the least ugly of all the ADV bikes out there. They're doing what they can with a form factor that will never be traditionally attractive.

This is why I keep hoping they'll eventually make the Enduro the only MTS, and bring back the ST series for those who want more of a standard sport touring experience.

#31 ·
He's not wrong, though. Beauty always being in the eye of the beholder, still...I have a tough time believing anyone truly thinks the MTS is a beautiful bike.
I love looks of my MTS! I’ve always been a sport bike guy. I’m drawn to the sleek and sexy designs. But being 6’-4”, I’ve just come to grips that they just aren’t made for me. On most sport bikes I look like a circus bear on a mini bike, and my knees feel like they’re almost in my armpits. That said, the 2015+ MTS’s are the closest thing to a tall man’s sport bike as I could find. Maybe not in their 100% factory stock form, but with a few aftermarket accessories, I’ve gotten countless compliments on my bike. Even at 36 I do seem to be on the younger end of most MTS owners, from what I've seen.
While the MTS may not be the sexiest bike in Ducati’s lineup, I don’t know of any manufacturer (those making multiple styles of bikes) who’s lineup consistently looks as good as Ducati’s.

#30 ·
Now that everyone has gotten that off their chest, I don't consider the Std Multi an ADV bike. The Enduro, yes no question.
I don't consider the Diavel personally attractive either and prefer the look of the Monster. Panigale is sex on wheels.
The Multi is not ugly although it's certainly different for a sport touring bike. I would probable switch if Ducati were to make a high performance V4 Supersport. Until then, the Multistrada Pikes Peak is a joy to ride.

Reactions: AK-Bandit
#32 ·
I don't consider the Std Multi an ADV bike.
Agreed. 99% of them will never see a patch of dirt. This blurb from an old article comparing the 2010 MTS to the R1200GS contains my favorite description of the MTS ...

"More energy is required of the rider to change direction on the GS, and its longer travel suspension makes it feel lumbering at times. Additionally, the GS doesn’t inspire its rider to run it in hard and turn at the last possible minute. That’s the realm of the sportbike-on-stilts Multi." :)

#33 · (Edited)
@AK-Bandit
I'm a sportsbike guy as well. I do miss my Panigale but the Monster "R" and the Multi "Pikes Peak" can fill that void for now.
I know a few younger guys than you riding Multi's and quite a few 60~70 year old riding Panigale's, RSV4 and S1000RR.
On this note, I just turned 60 and looking at replacing the Panigale I just sold with another superbike in 2~3 years.
I like the look of the Multistrada for what it is. Only bike nicer in that realm is the MV Agusta Turismo Veloce RC that @Rosso Classico highlighted. Subject to personal opinion of course, it may have the look but I'll take the Multi over it any day. The Multistrada is the only sportbike like performance model than can comfortably carry a passenger and luggage simultaneously.
For example, shortly after getting the bike, I took my wife on a ride with panniers attached. On our return leg, we were riding around 200 for a good 20 minutes or so until my wife said over the Cardo, "aren't we going a bit fast?" Not really I said, but i'll slow down if it will make you happy. That's the Multistrada.

#35 ·
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... the beak on the DVT Multi's doesn't bother me. Though the MV I'd have to admit is better looking overall, it's the only ADV bike that I'd say is close.

Reactions: AK-Bandit
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.