Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a great weekend at Barber. It was the first time I took the 848 on the track. I brought my GSXR 600 to the track as well. I loved the Ducati, but it took me a while to get used to the 848 on the track. I found myself hitting the rev limiter on corner exits a lot and losing drive out of the corners. I'm sure it is due to the Suzuki's rev limiter being much higher, but
I found it very difficult to shift mid-corner to avoid this. Anyone have a similar experience and any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
just a guess, but it's possible that your 848 does not have ideal gearing for that track.
also, because the 848 has a broader torque range, you can go into a corner in a higher gear (compared to an inline 4) and drive out of the corners with the torque rather than power.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just got back from a great weekend at Barber. It was the first time I took the 848 on the track. I brought my GSXR 600 to the track as well. I loved the Ducati, but it took me a while to get used to the 848 on the track. I found myself hitting the rev limiter on corner exits a lot and losing drive out of the corners. I'm sure it is due to the Suzuki's rev limiter being much higher, but
I found it very difficult to shift mid-corner to avoid this. Anyone have a similar experience and any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Seat time will help you get used to the difference in the rev range and power delivery range of the 848 compared to your 600. From my experience racing on an in-line 4 they like to be reved high throughout the entire lap, the v-twins are a different animal. You'll master it with more seat time.

Like others suggested, the GP shift pattern really helps with shifting mid corner, but once you get used to the powerband and revs of the motor you may not need to shift in the turns.

Enjoy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice. I have GP shift pattern, but tend to ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs- inside and outside pegs. It'll probably just take some getting used to.

·
Registered
944 Posts
jcns has it right brother. You are trying to ride a twin like a 4, and that's no bueno esse! Just try entering the corners you are having trouble with in a higher gear. Also, what will help you get familiar with the torque and how the bike exits different corners ride around in one gear for a whole session. Usually 2nd if it is stock geared, or 3rd if you have her geared down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
jcns has it right brother. You are trying to ride a twin like a 4, and that's no bueno esse! Just try entering the corners you are having trouble with in a higher gear. Also, what will help you get familiar with the torque and how the bike exits different corners ride around in one gear for a whole session. Usually 2nd if it is stock geared, or 3rd if you have her geared down.
+1

It definitely is a completely different riding experience from an inline 4

·
Registered
39 Posts
mcskeeto, I had the same issues w/my 749. After I changed gears, problem solved. Others who have ridden both tell me, you have to learn to use the vtwin's powerband, unlike a inline where you use the bike's RPM band. Big difference to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts