Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Uuhhhh say what now (battery issue)

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  gthphotography 
#1 ·
Charged up the battery and went to kick her over and saw this!!! She tried to start but wouldn’t. Not even a year old battery. This hole wasn’t there before!!

See less See more
#3 ·
1st question. Where did the contents of the battery get to? I'd be spraying the area with a Coke or baking soda & water ASAP.

Any idea what happened?
It made a sizzling sound and just dripped. So this just happened. And I have no idea why this happened. I had the battery on the charger because the voltage dropped a little bit, disconnected it when full and tried to turn it over. It really wanted to, but couldn't. After a few tries I heard the sizzling and saw that.

#4 ·
What type of charger were using -what are the charging amp's, -Is this a small motorcycle specific charger. -over the years I have even seen a motorcycle battery tender go south and boil a battery. --it could be the battery itself as well just because it's less then a year old does not mean anything. If man made it man can screw it up.

#7 ·
Small motorcycle tender/charger. And that is def an option. I didn’t initially think that the tender/charger would cook it. Could also have a faulty battery. Only way to diagnose would be to get another battery and hook it up. Bit even then it could be diff to get an answer.

#18 ·
I figured the OP's battery problem is a rare occurrence and it's just circumstance that I happened to replace mine at the same time.

But still . . . what an odd thing to have happen. Never heard or saw anything like that before.

#20 ·
So did the bike fall on the right side with the battery? Some times there is a fairing screw that under normal use does not touch the battery but if forced into the battery can cause a dimple. If the dimple shorts two plates the battery wouyld be toast and might be a reason to try throwing it on a charger which will then juice the short even more. Heat often causes plate swelling which can short batteries so a charger over charging can also short plates when the overcharging = over heating.

Good battery I would buy another and make sure nothing can contact it.

#21 ·
So did the bike fall on the right side with the battery? Some times there is a fairing screw that under normal use does not touch the battery but if forced into the battery can cause a dimple. If the dimple shorts two plates the battery wouyld be toast and might be a reason to try throwing it on a charger which will then juice the short even more. Heat often causes plate swelling which can short batteries so a charger over charging can also short plates when the overcharging = over heating.

Good battery I would buy another and make sure nothing can contact it.
No falls. It was a perfectly beautiful battery right up till I started to start the bike.
I did wonder about the tender/charger being the culprit, but without another battery to test I'll never know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.