Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 996s
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charged up the battery and went to kick her over and saw this!!! She tried to start but wouldn’t. Not even a year old battery. This hole wasn’t there before!!

·
Official Retired Person
7,500 Posts
1st question. Where did the contents of the battery get to? I'd be spraying the area with a Coke or baking soda & water ASAP.

Any idea what happened?

Reactions: MonsterR8

·
Premium Member
99 996s
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st question. Where did the contents of the battery get to? I'd be spraying the area with a Coke or baking soda & water ASAP.

Any idea what happened?
It made a sizzling sound and just dripped. So this just happened. And I have no idea why this happened. I had the battery on the charger because the voltage dropped a little bit, disconnected it when full and tried to turn it over. It really wanted to, but couldn't. After a few tries I heard the sizzling and saw that.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
What type of charger were using -what are the charging amp's, -Is this a small motorcycle specific charger. -over the years I have even seen a motorcycle battery tender go south and boil a battery. --it could be the battery itself as well just because it's less then a year old does not mean anything. If man made it man can screw it up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Could be a shorted cell. Looks as if acid leaked out. So I strongly second the above advice to thoroughly clean the acid off your bike. May need some disassembly to get to all of it.

·
Premium Member
99 996s
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What type of charger were using -what are the charging amp's, -Is this a small motorcycle specific charger. -over the years I have even seen a motorcycle battery tender go south and boil a battery. --it could be the battery itself as well just because it's less then a year old does not mean anything. If man made it man can screw it up.
Small motorcycle tender/charger. And that is def an option. I didn’t initially think that the tender/charger would cook it. Could also have a faulty battery. Only way to diagnose would be to get another battery and hook it up. Bit even then it could be diff to get an answer.

·
Premium Member
99 996s
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be a shorted cell. Looks as if acid leaked out. So I strongly second the above advice to thoroughly clean the acid off your bike. May need some disassembly to get to all of it.
No acid on the bike. It didn’t spray, just dribbled out. I did clean up what was there.

·
Vendor
548 Posts
What model is the bike?

What brand of battery?

Is it a wet cell? or AGM?
----
The best social distancing is riding your motorcycle!

Ride Safe & Stay Safe!
----
Thanks,

M./

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
So many basic pieces of information missing. It's not easy for me.

·
Official Retired Person
7,500 Posts
Yikes! I installed a brand new battery the same as that, in my GT1000. I should be watching it, ya think?

·
Premium Member
99 996s
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yikes! I installed a brand new battery the same as that, in my GT1000. I should be watching it, ya think?
batteries are mini chemical reaction chambers and anything can happen at any time with them and they should be part of your routine maintenance check.

·
Registered
Railside Performance
19 Posts
You will be fine. this is a super common battery that most all of us are currently using including myself.......now time to go check my bike!!!!!

·
Registered
2010 1198S Red, of course...
15 Posts
Yuasa is of superb quality and reputation (the best, imho), but as mentioned above, all batteries should be inspected/tested with some regularity.

·
Official Retired Person
7,500 Posts
I figured the OP's battery problem is a rare occurrence and it's just circumstance that I happened to replace mine at the same time.

But still . . . what an odd thing to have happen. Never heard or saw anything like that before.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
So did the bike fall on the right side with the battery? Some times there is a fairing screw that under normal use does not touch the battery but if forced into the battery can cause a dimple. If the dimple shorts two plates the battery wouyld be toast and might be a reason to try throwing it on a charger which will then juice the short even more. Heat often causes plate swelling which can short batteries so a charger over charging can also short plates when the overcharging = over heating.

Good battery I would buy another and make sure nothing can contact it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts