Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine last time took his very nice and expensive fuel jug bought at the autoparts store and it was a complete disaster: they made this aviation/formula one style nozzle that resulted in gasoline going everywhere. I suspect this is some EPA/CARB bullshit where the Gov figured they knew how to better design a fuel jug... This is the POS:

I'm now looking to buy an old school jug that has just a hose and venting hole, the kind that actually works. All of them have a notice that say "Not To Be Sold or Used As A Portable Fuel Container". This is what I'm talking about (there's actually a hose you screw into a smaller cap on the main cap):

What's the catch? Is it some EPA crap or it is actually gonna melt (it happened to me to have some plastic containers melt with fuel)?

For the geeky ones, it is made of LLDPE polyethylene and has a polyethylene gasket. Not sure what the rubber hose is made of...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The spring loaded nozzle crap is a new EPA thing they are doing on just about every gas can you can buy now. Supposed to prevent excess fuel vapor escaping or some nonsensical crap. Bunch of shenanigans if you ask me.

I just throw it in the garbage and keep a funnel handy. Those nozzles are dumb because you spill more fuel than anything.

One of those "Seemed like a good idea at the time" jobs I suppose.

As for the other container....I'm no chemical engineer so I can't say one way or another. Maybe buy one and put a little gas in it and let it sit for a few days and see how the material holds up?:confused:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
My wife bought us a new 5 gallon fuel jug and it has a variation on the spring loaded closure and it too is a complete piece of shit. To empty it into a car takes over five minutes. And of course when put upright when finished, liquid fuel runs back out the backside of the sliding sleeve. I was going to toss all my smaller old style cans when she got this one but no way now. Those things will become like gold soon enough.

I also have an old 5 gallon Jaz jug somewhat like the white one you pictured. The warnings are on there to cover their ass for you putting gas in it and thereby allowing those horrible vapors to escape and kill polar bears. They are fuel cans plain and simple but the EPA says they can't be sold for that any more, thus the labels. In another five or ten years, you'll probably face jail time if caught using them but for now....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So let me get this straight: in order to avoid fuel vapor to vent in the atmosphere, you spill fuel that evaporates into the atmosphere...

Anyway, good to know the sticker is for liability only.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Good gawd. I had no idea that even gas cans are getting screwed with. What's next, spoons?

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
On an alternate note, the ethanol warped my Sunoco Race fuel jug too.

I'm shocked the EPA has standards for gas cans now. I wonder how much that implementation cost tax payers.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
It's not the cost of the implementation, but the cost of fail. FFS, if they going to force enviro down our throats, at least make sure the shit works. Did anyone on the spec side touch the final product or use it for a month or so? I'm all for saving the planet, but damn we just seem to be killing it faster.

Have a good one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts