Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys
I was hoping somebody might be able to let me know if they ever experience problems with their bike when using it in very hot temperatures.
I have a 2004 998. I am originally from the UK and lived the last 6 years in northern France, so hot weather is not something we ever experience.
I have now moved to Bahrain in the Middle East and couldn't bear to sell my bike so I have shipped it here.
I used it for the first time yesterday. The bike performed well, however the operating temperature was hovering round the 100-110 degrees C mark (212-230 F). The temperature of the day was 44 degrees C (111 F)
When I lived in Europe the bike ran at 80 degrees C (176F).
Do any of you guys in the southern states(Texas etc) ever have any problems. Can the bike handle high ambient temperatures or should I just wait for the winter when it goes down to about 25 (77F)
Also do any of the additives like Water Wetter work?
All advice and info very much appreciated.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Guys
I was hoping somebody might be able to let me know if they ever experience problems with their bike when using it in very hot temperatures.
I have a 2004 998. I am originally from the UK and lived the last 6 years in northern France, so hot weather is not something we ever experience.
I have now moved to Bahrain in the Middle East and couldn't bear to sell my bike so I have shipped it here.
I used it for the first time yesterday. The bike performed well, however the operating temperature was hovering round the 100-110 degrees C mark (212-230 F). The temperature of the day was 44 degrees C (111 F)
When I lived in Europe the bike ran at 80 degrees C (176F).
Do any of you guys in the southern states(Texas etc) ever have any problems. Can the bike handle high ambient temperatures or should I just wait for the winter when it goes down to about 25 (77F)
Also do any of the additives like Water Wetter work?
All advice and info very much appreciated.
I don't know if the bike will have problems, but I did so I changed the following and it is/will hopefully make a big difference:

1) Nemesis ECU (immedialty dropped 10 deg off the bike in traffic...). Dialing this in is key to performance if at track, fast street, or if stop-go is your concern (that's me!).
2) new Corse lines
3) Speedymoto pump

next: find a bigger rad and faster fans; also manual switch for fans at the clutch, somehow.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
With my full Termignoni titanium exhaust kit my bike runs about 10-12 degrees cooler than my buddies stock 999. It even relieved the "hot seat" issue which my buddy also complains about. I start to see an advantage in cooler temps around 190+ over the stock 999.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Water Wetter is a waste IMO.

I used to live in west Texas and southern New Mexico and neither my 900SS nor my 748 ever had any overheating issues there despite consistent 105-110°F temps in the summer.

Chances are you will die of heat exposure long before the bike will. ;)

·
Registered
956 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I live in North Carolina but it was about 98 F today with a heat index well over 100 F. Between riding in the city for about 30 minutes and out in the country there was a huge difference. Bike stalled quite a bit, my leg felt like its going to burn off but oh well.

I ride a 1098 btw

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
In Houston in the city I will hit 220 at times, but only while sitting at lights. When I start riding again, even light to light, it will drop to 214 or less. I have the Leo Vince 57/60 Corsa exhaust, I would think that helps a little as well.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You are nuts riding around in this heat. Keep in mind that summer has not really started yet, the humidity is still low and the real heat is still coming by the middle of next month

We do our riding at 05h00 in the morning in summer and by 08h30 the bikes are off the road until the summer heat has dropped off here by October. The bike mods suggested will help a lot, but your body can not handle those temperatures while you are inside of a leather jacket. You WILL get heat stroke at some point, not a gamble you should be taking in this environment.

There is a bunch of riders in Bahrain who bring their bikes over to Qatar for track days at Losail, and they arrange trips to do race training in Thailand (apparently not a wife friendly trip but I have never been on one so couldnt comment) Just do a search on the net for motorbike related chatgroups for Bahrain, they are quite active and they do arrange rides on the Formula 1 cicuit you guys have on that side.

Welcome to the sand pit by the way.

SF

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
More airflow equals more cooling...simple solution- Ride faster.
On a serious note.
Look into coolant additives like Water Wetter-its does help a bit. Research better oil alternatives, some have different thermal capacities, selecting the correct one may help lower temps slightly. Perhaps install the fan switch mod.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many thanks for the replies.
Hi Safetyfish, nice to know there is another Ducati rider in this part of the world, they don't seem too popular here in Bahrain.
I haven't tried to go on a 'real' ride yet, I only rode it from the port over to the traffic directorate to register it.
I suppose what I was getting at was 'Can the bike be used in these temperatures?' I plan to do track days at the BIC, but not till winter. It just seems a long wait till summer is finally over and I can go and play again.
Anyway, many thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Get involved with the local riders in Bahrain, you will be surprised how many guys have Ducatis hidden in the shed. I know of a 998R, a couple of 999R, 1098 S and R, at least two Paul Smarts and a D16 or two.

For spare parts, check the crazy prices the local vendor both there and over here charge then fly it in for cheaper from the US (and tell the local vendor what an idiot he is at the same time.) The pound is against us at the moment so the US smugglers are the best option.

SF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts