Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a fancy new tiny LiPo battery for my '93 900SS and will be mounting it soon (hopefully this weekend). It is shorter (height) by an inch or so and narrower (width of the bike) by a couple of inches than the Yuasa it will replace. It's about the same depth (front to back of the bike).

Those of you who have already installed a smaller battery, how did you deal with the smaller size? Padding? New battery holder? wooden blocks? let it rattle around? Tiny red velvet pillows? I'd love some ideas for the best way to secure this little thing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used these foam pieces that came with my Shorai. They have a peel off adhesive backing so I cut them to size & stuck them on the bottom of the battery to get same height as Yuasa so cables fit as the should.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I've used flip-flops .... y'know, those things you wear on your feet ... sometimes called "thongs" (not to be confused with those butt-floss underwear). They can often times be bought for $1.00 per pair. I then cut them up with plain old scissors into whatever sized pieces I need. They're made a very dense foam and work well for making spacers and padding used in various applications.

They may be used in tandem with wooden pieces. They can be adhered to the wood using 3M aerosol contact cement ... spray the foam pieces and the wood with the contact cement ... allow the cement to "tack" .. once it's partially dried put the two pieces together .. it takes military grade force to separate the flip-flop foam from the wood if everything is done correctly.

It's basically all just "arts and crafts" skills.

:wink2:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I too use high density foam when installing the smaller batteries , this can be used under the battery to get it to the right height so your tension straps secure the battery and also on the sides to center it in the battery box

·
Registered
687 Posts
batteries...

While you in there, why not install a small digital read-out for 12VDC battery voltage. Then you know what is going on in the charging department. 20190618_162922.jpg

Fred

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,190 Posts
I used a couple of blocks of high density foam and it hasn't moved a millimetre.
Yep same here,works perfectly and holds the smaller battery nice and snug on my 900SS as long as the rubber tie-down straps are cinched tightly.

Another technique that I use on my RC51 is to stick large velcro strips directly onto the battery and battery box which literally sticks the battery nice and tight to the battery box. The battery in that bike doesn't move,period.

In fact the velcro technique works so good that it's actually a little bit difficult to remove the battery because the velcro sticks so damn well. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I used a couple of blocks of high density foam and it hasn't moved a millimetre.
I too use high density foam when installing the smaller batteries , this can be used under the battery to get it to the right height so your tension straps secure the battery and also on the sides to center it in the battery box
Yep same here,works perfectly and holds the smaller battery nice and snug on my 900SS as long as the rubber tie-down straps are cinched tightly.
Wood attached to pieces of Flip-Flops using contact cement ... and use Power Grip to attach it all to the bike (see description below).

Another technique that I use on my RC51 is to stick large velcro strips directly onto the battery and battery box which literally sticks the battery nice and tight to the battery box. The battery in that bike doesn't move,period.

In fact the velcro technique works so good that it's actually a little bit difficult to remove the battery because the velcro sticks so damn well. :laugh:
Look into "Power Grip hook and loop pedal mounting tape" by Godlyke (pronounced "God-Like") ... same principle as Velcro but MUCH stouter stuff. The adhesive is industrial grade stickum ... and the locking "balls" are far more locked into place when the two pieces are stuck together (like hook and pile .. aka "Velcro"). Power Grip hook and loop is what musicians/guitar players use to fix their foot operated audio processors (aka "stomp boxes") to their pedalboards. It comes in 2 inch wide rolls ... rolls come in 1 meter lengths all the way up to 10 meter lengths.

It has no fuzzy stuff, look at the picture. The balls on each side lock into each other and produce a super solid grip to one another. Those pedal-boards that guitar players use often times have THOUSANDS of dollars worth of stomp boxes on them, and those pedal boards have to withstand the ass kicking they receive on world wide tours and going from local gig to local gig while being tossed in the trunk of a car several times per week.

I've built up many pedalboards over the years. Power Grip hook and loop is way superior to Velcro (hook and pile). The adhesive is super strong, much more so than Velcro.

LINK = https://godlyke.com/collections/power-grip/products/power-grip-1-meter-roll

The webpage has a fully detailed explanation as well as a video.

Expand Image #1 to it's full size and look at the way the balls work. There is only one locking side to the tape, it locks into itself. There's no hook side and no loop side, it's all the same and it just hooks onto itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hammer-forged dog poop. malleable, yet firm, and just the right amount of vibration damping. Haven't solved the flammability problem yet. Thoughts?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I used these foam pieces that came with my Shorai. They have a peel off adhesive backing so I cut them to size & stuck them on the bottom of the battery to get same height as Yuasa so cables fit as the should.
^this.

Do be sure to use foam panels thick enough to wedge it firmly against the housing on four sides & bottom, so that after the foam "sets" under compression over time, the battery doesn't start to vibrate around in there. Check it after the first, then after a few rides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts