Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everybody, I need some insight. My GF and I are heading out to Laguna Seca for our first GP race in July, and we want have our first GP experience be a great one! So, where are the best seats located? We are going for saturday and sunday, should we get grandstand seating for both days or just for the race day? Whats the benefits of getting the paddock pass? Any other tips would be awesome, I don't want to miss out on anything, you know? THanks alot everyone!

Kevin

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
If you want a really nice experience get some suite tickets somewhere (turn three and four are nice). Flagroom are great but are really hard to get.
If you are a bit more limited, I would say get the turn 4 grandstand seats because they have a jumbotron and it is a pretty good vantage point. I'd get at least grandstand tickets for sunday for the GP race having them for saturday is nice, but not a necessity. As far as the Pit pass, you really won't get to see much of the GP stuff. The garages are closed so you cant even see the bikes. You can occasionally get a glimpse of the riders going back and forth after practice, but that is about it. It is nice for a short cut though and will save on walking. You also get to roam the AMA pits as well so if that is worth it for you then spend the cash. Make sure you have hotel reservations NOW and try to get down to cannery row Friday or Saturday night.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If your into autographs and all that and seeing the riders up close the paddock passes are a good investment. Every year I have been going I have gotten them but I also have suites right above the garages and I think that comes with it...... The suites are all good in any turns because you have t.v's to watch the whole race as Laguna isn't very "sight" friendly...... So sitting by a tv isn't a bad thing....... You'll have fun either way it is a crazy weekend and like the prior comment, book now! The Portola is cool because a lot of the riders including Valentino stays there.............

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
There are some hospitality seats available that are not listed on the web. You have to call and ask. Portola Plaza is awesome, have stayed their twice, never saw riders there except at a Ducati dinner. It is hugely expensive. The better deal believe it or not is to stay in Carmel. Hospitality at any level is the way to go if you have the funds. You get great parking, food, and pit passes. Pit passes at Laguna are not special. It is a mob scene, and as said you have very limited access to the Gp guys. Indy is a better bet if you want to meet and greet riders, they have very limited pit passes it was all but vacant last year, I got 13 GP autographs, including Nicky and Vale. Be aware that Laguna is over July 4th (awesome) and also their annual Celtic festival is that weekend. Hotel rooms will be hard to find close to the event. Good luck and hope to see you there, we are in turn 4 suites.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
If your into autographs and all that and seeing the riders up close the paddock passes are a good investment. Every year I have been going I have gotten them but I also have suites right above the garages and I think that comes with it...... The suites are all good in any turns because you have t.v's to watch the whole race as Laguna isn't very "sight" friendly...... So sitting by a tv isn't a bad thing....... You'll have fun either way it is a crazy weekend and like the prior comment, book now! The Portola is cool because a lot of the riders including Valentino stays there.............
How much for one of those suites???

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
I have been to Laguna Seca for all the modern Moto GP's.
My Advice is to get the GA tickets for the weekend and walk around the track during all of the different practice/qualifying sessions to see the dynamics of the riders at each part of the track. Get a grandstand ticket for sunday as all of the grandstand have a Jumbotron to see the whole track and the important racing. My seat of choice is turn 11 (start finish line, and podium) I like the pit passes because I am a geek. I have been lucky over the years and have met most of the important racers of our time just hanging out or walking thru the pits. If you have never hung out at a pro level event by all means get a pit pass. The biggest hassle for Monterey is lodging, Deal with this issue first and foremost. steer away from Salinas, and Watsonville. Anywhere else is great!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for all the advice, we are booking our room tonight, and getting the tickets also. I wish we could afford to get the Hospitality Suites, oh well maybe next year!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Rumor is this is the last year in contract for Laguna.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Rumor is this is the last year in contract for Laguna.
Laguna is contracted through 2014:

"MONTEREY, Calif. (June 19, 2008) - The sound of MotoGP race bikes will continue to reverberate from Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca at least through 2014, as Dorna Sports, organizers of the MotoGP World Championship, agreed to a five-year extension of the contract previously slated to end after the 2009 race."

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
One handy piece of advice:

Bring an AM/FM radio and earphones. They broadcast the race announcers over local radio, and once the race starts, you won't be able to hear the PA...

Also, bring hearing protection of some kind. The GP bikes are L-O-U-D...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have stayed in the Portola every year so far.... Vale was there the last 2 years, Stoner stays in the Marriot across the street.... Question... Where in Carmel do you suggest?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I rode out to Laguna twice from Wisconsin,,,,,,,,
Laguna is a GREAT place to watch in in my opinion,,,, just get G/A tickets and a paddock pass. You can see dam near the whole track from on top of the corckscrew but a radio is a MUST!
You can't hear sh#t and it keeps you up to date on the race:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can see dam near the whole track from on top of the corckscrew but a radio is a MUST!
You can't hear sh#t and it keeps you up to date on the race:D
I have to agree, the Corkscrew is the best place to watch in my opinion. I have had grandstand seats in the past and never ended up using them.
Seem to me the Corkscrew has some of the best action.

-KK

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Sorry I had a brain cramp> I stayed in the Monterey Plaza not the Portola Plaza. Portola is where the Robb Report show is. Both are very nice hotels. The Monterey is probably the nicer of the two and right on Cannery Row. I think the place we stayed last in Carmel was called the Dolphin Inn. It was OK since we had the kids with us. Lots of families there. Where we are staying this year is the La Playa. wrt hospitality verses GA. 2006 it was 105 degrees and people were dropping all over the place. I was glad I had hospitality being from the great white north. 2008 Indy a hurricane came through, again I was glad I had hospitaity, cause my friends were not used to bad weather. You will most assuredly get more "appreciation" from your GF if you get a Hospitality. You can always, and should, walk up the hill to the Corkscrew and check out some racing. One of the best things about hospitality is that if you're not going by bike then you can drive in instead of being bused in. The drive out on race day can be a bitch however, car or bike. But still better than the bus.

·
Registered
162 Posts
How much for one of those suites???
We are paying around $900 for 2 tickets right over stoner and haydens garage..... the good thing about the suites over the garages is you see them coming in and out..... your over there pits on the other side so you can get autographs bla bla bla and if you go out the back door and hang out on the pit row entrance balcony you can see them exiting the corkscrew.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts