Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first qualify this by stating I've never met the Wasp or spoken to him. It's all been through this forum and pm's. I was in the first run of kits, but because I was o/s for a month there was a delay before I put the kit on my bike. Kit went on last week and first shake down run was this weekend. My impressions......

There are two part to this: 1. the kit itself, 2. the performance

The Kit....
Off the shelf stuff included the Power Commander and 4 x K&N filters (2 large and 2 small). The Wasp added two custom brackets to hold the ignition coils (which attach to the airbox in stock trim) and PW, two custom made bellmouths, a custom map loaded into the PW, and various bolts, nuts, and attachments. Oh, and he included a set of installation instructions simple enough for those who should not work on their bike actually work on their bike! (I count myself as quite competent and in fact installed the kit in one evening after dinner).
My review.... bloody well excellent! The installation is absolute quality. The coils are maintained in their stock position, the PW is still accesable to plug into a pc without taking anything off the bike, and the filters are not crammed into any corner. As per the attached photos, a perceptive eye will immediately pick out the modification. Oh, and he also includes a couple of rain covers for the filters. As the photos show, I have installed them though I am considering removing them so the big pod filters are more obvious. Perhaps after the Philip Island trip. The installation actually opens up some airspace behind the headstock where the airbox used to be. I think this also highlights the frame a bit better. Bloody big filters.

The Performance.
The Wasp has dialed in the EFI map perfectly as far as I can tell. No popping or hesitation at all - just smooth rapid acceleration right through the rev range. Idles and runs beautifully. Seat of the pants feel indicates a definite and discernable power increase. In fact, in the first two gears the front wheel lifted ever so slightly with a normal gearchange where before it didn't. The power increase is definitely noticable - it's not massive but it's there. However, there are two really significant improvements: 1. how it revs, and 2. how it sounds:
REVS
Up top, above 6,000 rpm is where the best improvement is, though it also feels stronger from 4,000. I used to change gears around 7,400 - 7,800 rpm because that's where it felt right. The motor didn't really feel it wanted to go any further and started to feel "busy" anyways. Now, with the Wasp PUK1 installed, I'm changing between 8,200 - 9,000 rpm. I intentionally hit the rev limiter at 9,200 rpm once to see what it felt like and later in the day hit it 3 more times unintentionally. The motor happily pulls hard all the way to the limit, in fact it feels like it revs up more quickly. It "feels" happy to rev above 7,500 rpm where before it felt "busy". I can't think of any other way to describe it. But I'm very pleased!
Of course, the upside to revving it higher it that I'm changing gear less and holding the revs longer. This also means I'm moving along at a quicker pace. All day I found myself spinning the motor in the 6,000 to 9,000 band where before I used to ride it in the 5,000 to 7,500 band. The bike is making more power, but I'm also riding it in a more powerful part of the band. Great.
Which brings me to the final item: how it sounds....
SOUND
Faaaaark! this baby is loud! The induction roar is absolutely extraordinary. Keep in mind that the massive pod filters are about the same distance to your helmet as the instrument cluster, and that the space behind the fairing is basically an amplifier chamber protected from the wind. Might be different on a GT without a fairing. At a stationary idle you can hear the whoosh of air going in. Once on the move and on an open throttle you can hear the boom boom of what's going on, then whacking the throttle open under hard acceleration it's like putting your head next to the whoofer at a rock concert! This deep boom boom just dominates, even making the sound of the Termi's seem faint. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. Every chance I could I was whacking the throttle open just to experience it. Yee Hah!
I suspect that riding past someone, they're not gonna hear it. But riding the bike, your head is so close to the filters and the fairing is providing a dead air space that it's your own special concert. It really does improve the riding experience. :)
My bike now feels more aggressive, angry, and potent than ever before. I rode harder and had more fun.

Summary:
the bike has more power, revs up quicker and is happier at the top end of the rev range, sounds absolutely beautiful on the gas, and fits together like a Swiss watch. Wasp....you have done an exceptional job.
For those punters who worry about their Termi's being too loud and are frightful of the Sound Police, this mod is not for you. For thos of you who believe their Ducati's gotta have Soul, this is definitely a must have mod. No more Marvin Gaye thank you very much, my baby's got James Brown!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Thanks for the write-up and the nice pics. Seems that univerally the response to Wasp's kit is pretty enthusiastic! Watch out for John Law...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
WoW Glenn - To quote the guys from Blazing Saddles: "You use your tounge better than a $20 whore":) Great write up mate, thankyou, and your welcome, and pleased you like it...:cool:

Stay upright, away from the law, and on tha gas.

Greg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too have just last week installed a WASP PUK and totally agree with the ride report from Dadda.The improvement to acceleraion is astounding and the induction roar is f%#@ing magnificent. The clear, concise instructions made installing the kit a breeze. I have no connection with WASP, but after riding with this kit installed on my bike I would definitely buy him a beer or two. Thank you WASP.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
First, thanks for the write-up.

Second, no one has told me how much this costs (Wasp, I know you have 2 billion PMs but one is from me, asking how much it costs)

Third, I like your license plate. In California, all the good plates are used up, but in Oz, it seems like you guys can get whatever you want on the plate...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duccout,
with the DP ECU installed, the "redline" increases to 9,200 rpm. I already had the DP ECU installed with the Termi's. From memory, I thought the stock limit was set at 8,500rpm.
At any rate, if you're riding around and never taking your bike above 8,000 rpm......you're missing out on so much more. :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Barfer,
I thin the Wasp cannot advertise the price on the forum, but let me just say that in relative terms, it cost me 75% of what my Termi pipes with DP ECU cost. Was it a worthwhile investment? Absolutely!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Barfer,
I thin the Wasp cannot advertise the price on the forum, but let me just say that in relative terms, it cost me 75% of what my Termi pipes with DP ECU cost. Was it a worthwhile investment? Absolutely!
Thanks DADDA, I will send you a P.M now Barfer... My appologies but I dont know how I missed it.
It actually works out a bit cheaper export sales than domestic sales as there is no gst (Goods and Services Tax) on export and the large box post is discustingly similar.:mad:

Greg.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
No one has told me how much this costs (Wasp, I know you have 2 billion PMs but one is from me, asking how much it costs)
P.M sent

Third, I like your license plate. In California, all the good plates are used up, but in Oz, it seems like you guys can get whatever you want on the plate...
Your on the wrong side of the planet :D

Greg.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks. I'm ordering one. Wasp, you might owe a kickback to DADDA.

DADDA, you are a dirty dog for goading me into buying this. Thanks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nope, my bike has never been on a dyno. What I can say is that the improvement just by seat of pants feel is significant. Very significant. Hugely significant. Have I made my point? I think the WASP got the fueling map spot on. Helps that his test mule is the same bike as mine and where we both live is at sea level.
However, I can relay one story. At my local Ducati shop (Northside) we were talking about the SC's and I mentioned the WASP Puk1 kit. They knew about it. One of their customers bought the kit but paid the shop to install it. The shop was VERY IMPRESSED, they put the bike on their dyno and gas analyser and discovered they didn't need to touch the mapping - it was spot on. Told me they took it for a test run and the damn thing wanted to wheelie all over the place.
I don't know the WASP - didn't meet him at Philip Island - but his kit was the best thing I added to my bike.
I probably won't put my bike on a dyno because I don't race it and the throttle fueling just feels perfect everywhere. I don't see the need.
The bike is stronger in the mid range, rev's much more freely to the top end, and feels and sounds agressive.
Oh, and the intake roar is massive - wear earplugs!
Hope that answers your question.
The WASP is a tuning God. :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Barfer, did you get one? care to comment?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Let me first qualify this by stating I've never met the Wasp or spoken to him. It's all been through this forum and pm's. I was in the first run of kits, but because I was o/s for a month there was a delay before I put the kit on my bike. Kit went on last week and first shake down run was this weekend. My impressions......

There are two part to this: 1. the kit itself, 2. the performance

The Kit....
Off the shelf stuff included the Power Commander and 4 x K&N filters (2 large and 2 small). The Wasp added two custom brackets to hold the ignition coils (which attach to the airbox in stock trim) and PW, two custom made bellmouths, a custom map loaded into the PW, and various bolts, nuts, and attachments. Oh, and he included a set of installation instructions simple enough for those who should not work on their bike actually work on their bike! (I count myself as quite competent and in fact installed the kit in one evening after dinner).
My review.... bloody well excellent! The installation is absolute quality. The coils are maintained in their stock position, the PW is still accesable to plug into a pc without taking anything off the bike, and the filters are not crammed into any corner. As per the attached photos, a perceptive eye will immediately pick out the modification. Oh, and he also includes a couple of rain covers for the filters. As the photos show, I have installed them though I am considering removing them so the big pod filters are more obvious. Perhaps after the Philip Island trip. The installation actually opens up some airspace behind the headstock where the airbox used to be. I think this also highlights the frame a bit better. Bloody big filters.

The Performance.
The Wasp has dialed in the EFI map perfectly as far as I can tell. No popping or hesitation at all - just smooth rapid acceleration right through the rev range. Idles and runs beautifully. Seat of the pants feel indicates a definite and discernable power increase. In fact, in the first two gears the front wheel lifted ever so slightly with a normal gearchange where before it didn't. The power increase is definitely noticable - it's not massive but it's there. However, there are two really significant improvements: 1. how it revs, and 2. how it sounds:
REVS
Up top, above 6,000 rpm is where the best improvement is, though it also feels stronger from 4,000. I used to change gears around 7,400 - 7,800 rpm because that's where it felt right. The motor didn't really feel it wanted to go any further and started to feel "busy" anyways. Now, with the Wasp PUK1 installed, I'm changing between 8,200 - 9,000 rpm. I intentionally hit the rev limiter at 9,200 rpm once to see what it felt like and later in the day hit it 3 more times unintentionally. The motor happily pulls hard all the way to the limit, in fact it feels like it revs up more quickly. It "feels" happy to rev above 7,500 rpm where before it felt "busy". I can't think of any other way to describe it. But I'm very pleased!
Of course, the upside to revving it higher it that I'm changing gear less and holding the revs longer. This also means I'm moving along at a quicker pace. All day I found myself spinning the motor in the 6,000 to 9,000 band where before I used to ride it in the 5,000 to 7,500 band. The bike is making more power, but I'm also riding it in a more powerful part of the band. Great.
Which brings me to the final item: how it sounds....
SOUND
Faaaaark! this baby is loud! The induction roar is absolutely extraordinary. Keep in mind that the massive pod filters are about the same distance to your helmet as the instrument cluster, and that the space behind the fairing is basically an amplifier chamber protected from the wind. Might be different on a GT without a fairing. At a stationary idle you can hear the whoosh of air going in. Once on the move and on an open throttle you can hear the boom boom of what's going on, then whacking the throttle open under hard acceleration it's like putting your head next to the whoofer at a rock concert! This deep boom boom just dominates, even making the sound of the Termi's seem faint. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. Every chance I could I was whacking the throttle open just to experience it. Yee Hah!
I suspect that riding past someone, they're not gonna hear it. But riding the bike, your head is so close to the filters and the fairing is providing a dead air space that it's your own special concert. It really does improve the riding experience. :)
My bike now feels more aggressive, angry, and potent than ever before. I rode harder and had more fun.

Summary:
the bike has more power, revs up quicker and is happier at the top end of the rev range, sounds absolutely beautiful on the gas, and fits together like a Swiss watch. Wasp....you have done an exceptional job.
For those punters who worry about their Termi's being too loud and are frightful of the Sound Police, this mod is not for you. For thos of you who believe their Ducati's gotta have Soul, this is definitely a must have mod. No more Marvin Gaye thank you very much, my baby's got James Brown!
WOW! sounds more like Rick James to me!! Great!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi Wasp, can you please PM me the price? A buddy of mine is shopping for a kit for his PS. He looked at the TPO but it does not come with a lot of stuff yours offer.

He is here in the US (Florida) so shipping might be a bit pricey.:(

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hey Barfer, did you get one? care to comment?
Yes, I did get the WASP kit and I run it on my GT.

I run the TPO beast setup w/ a power commander on my track bike. Both are great. Greg's kit comes with brackets and instructions. The TPO thing leaves you on your own but is easy if you know how to do it on your own and are happy to hang the coils and PC on zipties.

This is the ziptie-hanging that you need to do in a lot of spots if you do the TPO/power commander DIY thing. (See center of photo for shot of ziptie stretched to the coil mount). My coils and PC are all hanging in a trapeze of zipties under there. Frankly, if you're not pretty comfortable fabricating and figuring out stuff on your own, Greg's kit would be far, far easier to install. If you are capable of doing an oil change, you can install Greg's kit.

Oh, and for whatever its worth, I completely agree with your assessment of the PUK kit. It makes a noticeable difference, akin to the difference you can feel when using a 14T front sprocket. You can really notice it and I would recommend it.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts