Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a used Ducati Multistrada (2014 - 2017, either the PP or the Touring S)
Longtime Duc owner....just sold my 23 year old 900 SS :frown2:...and currently have a 2012 Hyper SP
Do some of my own work, but haven't done valves on my own and have never owned a 4 Valve

I'm sure there's a wide rage of opinions on best year, but feel free to chime in with yours.
Any specific things to look for?
Is the DVT engine worth it? Is the flat spot that bad?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Looking at getting a used Ducati Multistrada (2014 - 2017, either the PP or the Touring S)
Longtime Duc owner....just sold my 23 year old 900 SS :frown2:...and currently have a 2012 Hyper SP
Do some of my own work, but haven't done valves on my own and have never owned a 4 Valve

I'm sure there's a wide rage of opinions on best year, but feel free to chime in with yours.
Any specific things to look for?
Is the DVT engine worth it? Is the flat spot that bad?

Thanks in advance.
2015 DVT here. Owned it for a few months now.

I do notice there is a bit of a flat spot. It's kind of strange, but I don't know what it is. I'm not completely sure that it isn't the Ducati Wheelie control kicking in, or if it's just the engine. I'll do some experimenting soon and figure it out. I think that if it is the engine, that a power commander type of device may address it. Others may be able to chime in more on that.

I would definitely get a 2015 at the least because of the color screen, cruise control, backlit switchgear, etc. etc. It's just a much more modern bike.

Definitely the S model because of the electronic suspension!

and I got the touring model. The heated grips were nice, although I could have added it to another model, but I liked the Ducati side luggage that comes standard with the touring model. It's not as sexy as the Aluminum bags, but if you buy soft luggage to go in them like you should, then they work great, and most importantly you can take them off almost instantly and you don't have some ugly skeleton frame hanging on the side of your bike.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
2016 PP here and love every inch of it, flat spot? If there's one please tell me where it is bc i can't find it now nor before i did the exhaust and pc upgrade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a new, still crated old stock 2016 1200S in April and I think it’s an awesome bike. I’ve put approx 2600 miles on it.
In Sport mode, the power is explosive but still manageable. One thing that surprised me at first was the engine braking. These big L-twins like to pump the brakes when you roll off the throttle, definitely more so in the lower gears. It’s pretty predictable once you get used to it, and now I really dig it. My bike has a slight flat spot somewhere between 2200-3000 rpms. I only really notice it when I’m cruising 15-20mph in my neighborhood, but I've never considered it a big deal.

This winter I’m planning on removing my factory exhaust including the cat, and throwing on a new link pipe and silencer (most likely an Arrow). And along with that a Rapidbike EVO, which I’ve read should smooth out the bike even more.

I really liked the features of the Pikes Peak, but I ended up getting the 1200S for my needs (city commuter, joyrider, able to ride a couple hundred miles without beating me up too bad). I did throw a couple mods on my 1200S to give it a sportier look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts