Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I searched the Monster forum for a type of "when buying a used bike, make sure you get these things" checklist.

Nothing came up so I thought it may be helpful to start such a thread.

When buying a used bike, what should one make sure to get from the former owner? This is what I have gathered from reading prior threads but if you have something to add, I'm sure it'll be helpful.

1) Two black keys, one red key
2) Some type of credit card-looking thing related to the keys (necessary for programming new keys?)
3) Manual... but I know there may be more than one. Can anyone specify?

-Curly

·
Registered
145 Posts
4. Maintenance records
5. Stock parts if it has aftermarket bit fitted
6. Title :D

Of the listed items I would pay particular attention to the maintenance record.

GL. :think:

·
Registered
227 Posts
this may not be totally pertinent but it is coming from a dealer so ready as my 0.02$

1) service records are nice but you need to go through that bike again...meaning YOU MUST GO THROUGH THE BIKE......at least check the belts and do an oil change no matter what he says or what the records say

2) check the forks, make sure there is not leakage what so ever

3) press against the front forks and the seat, make sure they both compress and come back up

4) start the bike, get it up to temperature, rev it to like 7K and let it come back down it should come back down fast if not you got an air leak and/or low compression

this is what I usually check for I really don't care on what I get from the owner in terms of paperwork since it was probably in a file in his house and it will go in a closet in my house/shop

said that the two keys are a must....have fun on your new bike, get it a set of fresh tires

·
Registered
698 Posts
this may not be totally pertinent but it is coming from a dealer so ready as my 0.02$

1) service records are nice but you need to go through that bike again...meaning YOU MUST GO THROUGH THE BIKE......at least check the belts and do an oil change no matter what he says or what the records say

2) check the forks, make sure there is not leakage what so ever

3) press against the front forks and the seat, make sure they both compress and come back up

4) start the bike, get it up to temperature, rev it to like 7K and let it come back down it should come back down fast if not you got an air leak and/or low compression

this is what I usually check for I really don't care on what I get from the owner in terms of paperwork since it was probably in a file in his house and it will go in a closet in my house/shop

said that the two keys are a must....have fun on your new bike, get it a set of fresh tires

Word! Also - some local Duc dealerships will do a XX point inspection on the bike for you (for a nominal fee of course). For example, ProItalia has the following check list:

http://www.proitalia.com/Pro_Italia_Certified_checklist.pdf

·
Registered
198 Posts
Manuals & checklist thoughts...

I just bought a used 2007 800 S2R and got four booklets with it:

1. World Dealer Guide
2. Owner's Manual
3. Service Book (Carnet de guarantie in France)
4. Desmo Owner's Club guide to emergency assistance

I also got:

Documents showing all services from when new and all receipts for after-market parts - all done by Ducati Annecy (12,000 km service was the last done)

2 black and 1 red key

All original equipment taken off after mods (pipes, exhaust, air filter, etc)

A code card

2 new tires

Title

Attestation of sale to me

... I'm probably forgetting something, but that should help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Make sure YOU get to start it cold when you look at it. An old trick is to warm up a bike just before a buyer comes to check it out to show "how well it starts"

Check to see if the exhaust is cold when you show up and start it.

Check for any blue/black/white smoke upon this cold start.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Make sure YOU get to start it cold when you look at it. An old trick is to warm up a bike just before a buyer comes to check it out to show "how well it starts"

Check to see if the exhaust is cold when you show up and start it.

Check for any blue/black/white smoke upon this cold start.
that is irrelevant ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts