Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member and possible future Ducatisti here. Right now I've got a 2007 600rr. I've been riding for ~20 years. Because of family obligations, etc I don't ride nearly as much as I used to and only put <1,000 miles per year on the bike. I also do about 2-3 track days yer year but hope to do more now that the kids are getting older.

I've always wanted a ducati and like most people I think the 996 is the most beautiful bike ever made. At some point maybe I'll buy a 996 just to have it but at this point I want a great, sexy street bike that will be fun on the track. I'm town between a 2016+ 959 or a 2013-ish 1199. Both seem to sell for about the same price. I have had a liter bike before and love the power but always felt it was a bit intimidating on he track (I'm a novice trackday rider). Of course the label-whore in me wants the 1199 for the street cred and fact that its an insane bike...but the logical side of me is saying to get a newer 959 which will still crush the HP numbers of my 600rr.

So I was hoping for some input from you guys. It seems as though the 959 has traction control, ABS, quick shifter, slipper clutch and some other goodies. Aside from more horsepower, does the 1299 have anything else to offer?
Which would you choose if you were me and why? thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I've heard that these bikes can be a bit maintenance heavy. Can anyone elaborate on that? I do most of my own maintenance and repair. Are these bikes really hard to work on?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Why don't you just buy a 996? They're great on the street and on the track and wonderful bikes to own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why don't you just buy a 996? They're great on the street and on the track and wonderful bikes to own.
I've thought about it but it seems like the nicer ones are almost the same price as a 2016 959. And I like all the tech on the 959 (traction control, ABS, etc).
If I do buy a 996 in the future it would likely be a very nice, low mileage bike that would mostly be a garage queen.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Buy the 959, it has more power than a 996 and is a brilliant bike all round. Nothing against the bigger Panigale, especially on the street, but on the track you will probably go faster, have a more enjoyable day and be able to ride all the sessions on the 959, the big one is a LOT of bike and for most just too much, especially when you're pushing on the track. I can do faster laps on my CBR600RR than i can on my 1098R and i can do them all day....

The 959 and 1199 are both chain cam drive bikes so no belts to change, the valve clearance intervals are longer than earlier models too. The only extra maintenance on the 1199 vs the 959 would be the SSS eccentric and maybe chain adjustment from the extra torque, but they're both pretty good maintenance wise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy the 959, it has more power than a 996 and is a brilliant bike all round. Nothing against the bigger Panigale, especially on the street, but on the track you will probably go faster, have a more enjoyable day and be able to ride all the sessions on the 959, the big one is a LOT of bike and for most just too much, especially when you're pushing on the track. I can do faster laps on my CBR600RR than i can on my 1098R and i can do them all day....

The 959 and 1199 are both chain cam drive bikes so no belts to change, the valve clearance intervals are longer than earlier models too. The only extra maintenance on the 1199 vs the 959 would be the SSS eccentric and maybe chain adjustment from the extra torque, but they're both pretty good maintenance wise.
Thanks for the reply! That was very helpful and I'm definitely leaning towards the 959. If I happen to find a smoking deal on a 1199/1299 I still may take it... but focusing my searches on the 959. I haven't been able to find too many in the New York area but that's probably because people are waiting until spring to list them.

How difficult are valve clearance checks compared to Japanese sportbikes? I'm only used to working on Japanese bikes. The only non-Japanese bike I've ever owned was a Triump Thunderbird that I rebuilt after my buddy crashed it and sold it to me...and that was a huge POS and definitely a learning experience.

Also, is there any difference in the 959 models from 2016- onward? any important updates or things to consider, or are they all the same?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Personally I would just budget to have the dealership do maintenance on your future Panigale. This is coming from a guy that vowed to never have one of his bikes in a dealership (except wheels for tires, I detest changing them). The Panigale is a major PITA to work on with tiny fiddly fasteners holding the bodywork and everything integrated together so "well" that it takes three hands to reassemble.

As for model? 959 is probably very nice and given the small cost increase over an 899, probably worth it. But for another 2-3 grand you could have a 1299. I can tell you from personal experience it is another level in power and speed. The top end is incredible.

I also found insurance (State Farm) for the 959 was double that of the 1299S I eventually purchased and the Panigale R I considered. I can only assume younger guys can afford the 959 and crash them more often.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally I would just budget to have the dealership do maintenance on your future Panigale. This is coming from a guy that vowed to never have one of his bikes in a dealership (except wheels for tires, I detest changing them). The Panigale is a major PITA to work on with tiny fiddly fasteners holding the bodywork and everything integrated together so "well" that it takes three hands to reassemble.

As for model? 959 is probably very nice and given the small cost increase over an 899, probably worth it. But for another 2-3 grand you could have a 1299. I can tell you from personal experience it is another level in power and speed. The top end is incredible.

I also found insurance (State Farm) for the 959 was double that of the 1299S I eventually purchased and the Panigale R I considered. I can only assume younger guys can afford the 959 and crash them more often.
That's an interesting point about the insurance. I guess the one benefit of being old is that I'm not too worried about the insurance premium. My 600rr costs about $200 per year including physical damage coverage. But I will price out both to see if there is a significant difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just priced up the insurance and you were right. The 1299 is $730 per year. The 959 is $850. The 1299S is even cheaper at $700/year.
Not a significant difference between the 3 but I'm surprised at how much more it is than my 600rr. I pay $180 per year for the $600rr. Oh well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only downside to the 1199,1299 is the heat it's much less on the 959 the 1199,1299
= testicles well done 959 = medium rare.
Oh man. I didnt think about that. At this point I'm leaning towards the 959 but it all comes down to what kind of deal I can find as I'm buying used. I'd like to get something less than 5 years old.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The 899 was the predecessor to the 959, not a bad bike at all, but the 959 has a removable clutch cover which is handy if you track or race the bike and want to access the clutch, the 899 you have to take the whole cover off... The Gearbox is uprated on the 959 too i think???? someone will correct me if i'm wrong....

The new PanigaleV2 which is just around the corner will be a weapon, 6 axis traction/stability control, SSS on it, pretty sure they get auto blip and up/down QS too, if you're willing to spring for a new one get one of those. If not, wait until they're released as 959's will soften due to the significant upgrade in spec.

Comparing insurance between a 600RR and a Ducati (Any Ducati) is an exercise in futility, they're completely different spec wise and parts are commonplace for the Honda, not so much for the Duke, then look at the quality of the components and the associated price tag.

Unfortunately Ducati attract a few born again dickheads who last rode a CB750 and think that a new Panigale is about the same..... so they attract a premium because they do get crashed and then the born again biker succumbs to the nagging of his wife, walks away from motorcycling leaving the rest of us to pay for their mid life crisis after they take their payout and run.....

Valve clearances are best left to someone who knows what they're doing, there's openers and closers and there have been more than a few who have attempted it and found ruined cams and other components from wrong clearances that bind up the rockers making a big and expensive mess!
If you want a Ducati it's the price of admission, but they're not as bad to service as some others and if you're mechanically inclined you can learn, I have three and do all my maintenance except valve clearances, can't be bothered with that.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts