Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
usb power from Duck's battery?

Found out the hard way today my GPS/phone dies fast with GPS on and full light to see. So, I need options to hook something up to the battery to charge the phone via usb cable constantly while I'm riding. Is anyone aware of anything?...I'm going away for 5 days on Friday LOL!

ps thanks for fixing the title:)

Shawn

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I would think the easiest thing to do is get a car lighter from wal-mart and wire it into the ignition-on power wire and a ground. Mount it somewhere and then use the car power adaptor for your phone.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'll bet your bike has a battery tender connector [SAE 2-Pin Flat Connector] Find a mating connector, cut the cigarette plug off a USB car charger [only two wires] and wire the two together. Pay attention to the polarity.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. OK which of these solutions do you think will be fastest to do, i.e., think I can go to Canadian Tire or one of the Performance shops around here and have the parts...cuz I'm quite certain Canada Customs will leave me stranded if I order online.

Shawn

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thanks guys. OK which of these solutions do you think will be fastest to do, i.e., think I can go to Canadian Tire or one of the Performance shops around here and have the parts...cuz I'm quite certain Canada Customs will leave me stranded if I order online.

Shawn

If you dont have battery tender buy one, you'll need it this winter ~$40US, they usally have two mating connectors, one for the battery which I bet you already have on your bike and one with clips which you'll probably never use. If you've alrady got a car charger for your phone, sacrifice it..

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'd think the Canadian equivalent of Walmart would have all you need.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd think the Canadian equivalent of Walmart would have all you need.
Thanks guys. Yep, we have Walmart...so probably there or Canadian Tire.

I'll print this and go in so I buy the right stuff.

I definitely need a tender, don't have one yet. Dealer said they would throw it in but I never saw it or pushed for it. I'll inquire with them during the week.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
I just installed a port direct to my battery tender, with a matching plug. Cost me $5 total and I only had to do my own soldering. Bought the plug with a short wire, and the 12 volt female receptacle that I soldered to, piece of cake. The thing tucks neatly into the area around my battery, and I can plug any type of equipment that features a 12volt 'cigarette lighter' plug.

Bought the stuff at an electric supply store, either a Mom & Pops store or full on Fry's type store will do.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just installed a port direct to my battery tender, with a matching plug. Cost me $5 total and I only had to do my own soldering. Bought the plug with a short wire, and the 12 volt female receptacle that I soldered to, piece of cake. The thing tucks neatly into the area around my battery, and I can plug any type of equipment that features a 12volt 'cigarette lighter' plug.

Bought the stuff at an electric supply store, either a Mom & Pops store or full on Fry's type store will do.
Would it be hard for you to snap a few pics? I'm not a soldering guy but I have the gun and will try it, if I know what I'm looking at!

I'm not by any stretch comfortable with electronics, but I got through the ECU install OK! And the bar ends front and back/signals.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Dealer said some part of a tender thingie is there, they put it on all the bikes at the dealer. So, I need something like these two, yes?

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=25779&cat=3618

And something like this, yes?

http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/cigarette-socket-battery-leads-standard-duty-10-amp/383

what about amps etc. I see there are different versions…

Am I allowed to put my tongue on the battery if I get bored during the install?
If you have the battery tender thing on the bike, all you need is that socket piece that has the cigarette lighter on it, but I guess both kits come with it. You should have not to worry about amps. Putting ones tongue on electrical sockets is good practice while working, it invigorates the heart and motivates your sodium and calcium to move faster, therefore making your muscles stronger. See the sodium rushes in faster allowing faster depolarization, and calcium binds to troponin faster which allows for faster muscle contraction. It really is quite simple. So, in recap, sticking your tongue in electrical sockets makes you stronger.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Would it be hard for you to snap a few pics? I'm not a soldering guy but I have the gun and will try it, if I know what I'm looking at!

I'm not by any stretch comfortable with electronics, but I got through the ECU install OK! And the bar ends front and back/signals.
here's what I've got:

The connection at the Battery Tender plug

The piece I made= Battery Tender plug with wire + socket for 12v connector

view of BT plug and inside of 12v thingy

After seeing the pre-made pieces, if you are uncomfortable with melting things made of metal, then $30-40 may be well spent in your case.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome, thanks so much both of you, especially for the pics!

I went to performance center and they said no way, and probably not Cdn Tire either for the female end of the lighter dohickey, they said. I bought the male-lighter-to-usb from Bell today, so I'm half there but a little nervous since I only have 3 days now before I leave for 5 days!

Can't I just cut the male end/lighter thing and splice it directly into something already on the bike? Or is that what you guys are already saying?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would think the easiest thing to do is get a car lighter from wal-mart and wire it into the ignition-on power wire and a ground. Mount it somewhere and then use the car power adaptor for your phone.
Areo stitch sells the sae adapter to cigarette lighter that you could plug into the same plug you'd use for your battery tender.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Awesome, thanks so much both of you, especially for the pics!

I went to performance center and they said no way, and probably not Cdn Tire either for the female end of the lighter dohickey, they said. I bought the male-lighter-to-usb from Bell today, so I'm half there but a little nervous since I only have 3 days now before I leave for 5 days!

Can't I just cut the male end/lighter thing and splice it directly into something already on the bike? Or is that what you guys are already saying?
Yeah, that is what you are doing without doing the labor yourself. Just get a cig lighter and cut and attach to the terminals somehow. I was saying to tap into the ignition-on power wire so it is not always on, but it should not hurt anything to have it directly attached to the batter.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I just did this exact thing two days ago getting ready for a trip. Cheap car charger for my phone, extra extension cable for my battery tender. Just carcked open the charger and soldered in the cable instead. After double checking the polarity of course! For a down and dirty temporary solution you could probably just strip the wires back on the cable and wrap them around the appropriate meatl tabs on the cigarette lighter plug, with losts of electrical tape for insulation (side springs are ground, center of the plug is positive). Good luck! Oh, and don't forget to unplug the charger if you're parked fro a while...it could drain the batt. Not just from the phone, but unplug it from the bike, the charger draws a little juice if it's charging or not.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, that is what you are doing without doing the labor yourself. Just get a cig lighter and cut and attach to the terminals somehow. I was saying to tap into the ignition-on power wire so it is not always on, but it should not hurt anything to have it directly attached to the batter.
OK. Finally, English. Sorry guys I'm not electrical at all! I'll find a scrap yard worst case scenario. Buy the female, attach it to the battery by way of the images above and looking at the manual, solder/shrink wrap, and make sure I have a couple spare fuses! Plug in the Blackberry male lighter to usb, and I'm done.

I'll just get a SPDT or whatever those switches are called and go into the battery itself. I.e. a toggle switch...on/off with heavy wires.

(Buy the female, attach the battery? Oh nevermind!)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just did this exact thing two days ago getting ready for a trip. Cheap car charger for my phone, extra extension cable for my battery tender. Just carcked open the charger and soldered in the cable instead. After double checking the polarity of course! For a down and dirty temporary solution you could probably just strip the wires back on the cable and wrap them around the appropriate meatl tabs on the cigarette lighter plug, with losts of electrical tape for insulation (side springs are ground, center of the plug is positive). Good luck! Oh, and don't forget to unplug the charger if you're parked fro a while...it could drain the batt. Not just from the phone, but unplug it from the bike, the charger draws a little juice if it's charging or not.

The polarity? I can figure that out on the bike, but how do I do that on the other two parts? I.e. the male and female lighter stuff.

Guess I'll need a meter.

OK this is turning into a joke LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
The polarity? I can figure that out on the bike, but how do I do that on the other two parts? I.e. the male and female lighter stuff.

Guess I'll need a meter.

OK this is turning into a joke LOL.
The cig lighter should have red and black wires.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts