Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow ducatisti-
looking for recommendations or your experience with a DIN plug to a USB adapter (possibly 2). Several Chinese made options on ebay and Amazon, but not sure how reliable. Looking for something not to bulky to plug my Iphone when using it as my GPS/ Your thoughts?

Amazon - rated well
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Hella-Charger-Shorty-Socket-x/dp/B00QMTECNO

Amazon as well - a bit bulky and do not need the able design
https://www.amazon.com/Cliff-Top-Locking-Motorcycle-Adaptor-Angled/dp/B00R75Q97O/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6Y370MPAVZXYMJGAQKVE

Optimate option - seems a bit bulky
https://www.amazon.com/Tecmate-Optimate-3300mA-Output-Charger/dp/B01GSCKJWC

Ebay - chinese retailer
https://www.ebay.com/p/Waterproof-2-USB-4-2a-Charger-Adapter-LED-Voltmeter-Powerlet-for-BMW-DIN-HELLA/11019257332?iid=153018114606&chn=ps

·
Registered
2010 Multistrada
14 Posts
I just got the USB adapter for my trickle charger and ran a standard charging cable from it along the clutch side wiring harness up to the bars. Works perfect for me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use a corded Hella plug. It comes with too much cord since I mounted it to the handlebars, but its easy to cut the cord, re-tin the wire ends, and attach it to the plug.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi folks. I’m trying to connect to this yellow port to create a USB port under the seat. Apparently every 2020 scrambler except mine (Icon Dark) comes with it. Where do I find this missing port/connector/adapter?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Hi folks. I’m trying to connect to this yellow port to create a USB port under the seat. Apparently every 2020 scrambler except mine (Icon Dark) comes with it. Where do I find this missing port/connector/adapter?
Hi Gold.
The DDA Port has to be there for diagnostic and it's an easy fix to convert to a USB.
Once you find it, you'll need:
an OptiMate CABLE O-47 Adapter for DUCATI to SAE
and a SAE to USB Adapter
Here's a post for my Panigale but I've done the same with my Monster:
www.959panigale.net/threads/low-profile-phone-mount-made.3905/#post-114513

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Gold.
The DDA Port has to be there for diagnostic and it's an easy fix to convert to a USB.
Once you find it, you'll need:
an OptiMate CABLE O-47 Adapter for DUCATI to SAE
and a SAE to USB Adapter
Here's a post for my Panigale but I've done the same with my Monster:
www.959panigale.net/threads/low-profile-phone-mount-made.3905/#post-114513
Sorry, so are you suggesting I just ignore this yellow connector and instead track down a DDA port? What then is this yellow connector for? There is a little USB icon on the cover for it which implies that's the intent. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Sorry, so are you suggesting I just ignore this yellow connector and instead track down a DDA port? What then is this yellow connector for? There is a little USB icon on the cover for it which implies that's the intent. Thanks again!
So sorry I wasn't clear. That yellow plug is the DDA.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Got it, thanks. Though I'm not sure why we can't go directly from Ducati to USB, rather than via SAE.
I agree. An Optimate dda to usb would have been smaller.
A USB would be useful especially up-front. The Multi has a 12v DIN Hella socket which not as desirable. At least not for me. A front mounted USB would have been better. Perhaps the 2021 models are different.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The DIN Hella socket is found not just on Ducati. It is used on BMW and Triumph as well. I think it may also be found on URAL, but not sure. This is common among European bike manufacturers. While It has some advantages, it is not as easily adaptable here in the US. (Unsure about Canada)
I could not agree more that the placement of a USB port at the front dash area would have been great on ANY Ducati. Perhaps mostly on the Multi given its general intended purpose. The process to incorporate one within the main wiring harness would have been nearly seamless IMHO. Why wasn't it done on models 2014+? Perhaps a rush to get out of the design meeting and get some badly needed espresso.
I run both a Garmin GPS and an iPhone for long distance riding. I use the iPhone for both music and phone use via SENA Bluetooth to my helmet. I like the separated GPS and its clear mount above the dash display.
To run both these components, I installed one of these to the left side of the handlebars.
It has a power on/off switch at the top. It glows red when it is on and clearly lets me know when it is on and I turn it off if away from my bike longer than a fuel stop.
My iPhone sits in a GIVI tank bag where there is a port to route the USB cable for charging. The Garmin uses a shorty Standard USB cable as well. Both plug into this port easily.
I routed the power wire (a 2 conductor sleeved cable) along the left side of the tank to the battery compartment where it passes through a waterproof fuse holder (made by Motorola) directly to the battery.
As of this date, and about 10K miles, it has proven to be a super simplistic and not overly-expensive solution. I'm sure there are even better quality USB hubs available, but this seems to fit the bill just fine for me.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I also run a GPS and a Phone from a USB cable which I fished from back to front.
61-9-YlK73L._AC_SX679_.jpg

IMGP0006.JPG IMGP0008.JPG

·
Registered
4 Posts

From Aliexpress, specifically here. In Ducati red of course but there are other options. Cost is 10-12 US$ delivered.

I was a bit skeptical but I got 2 to find they are well made (machined alloy not plastic), not as chunky as I was expecting and most importantly fit well. As it turned out last week they stay in the socket real well when you mistakenly take your 950S into what is more the territory for my WR250F or some other light weight dedicated MX machine. It's lived through huge rain and dust fine.

After using the adapter for a year I would buy one of the same again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I used a DIN to USB adapter from ebay, no problems. Nice because the DIN plug is switched power.
When the bike was apart for Desmo service, had then run a long USB cable from the USB port under the seat, now the DIN is free for heated gear.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
...now the DIN is free for heated gear.
Be careful. The two 12v DIN plugs have a maximum current output for both combined:
5A, if fog lights are installed;
9A, if fog lights are not installed.
Connecting higher loads will blow the line fuse.
Screenshot from 2021-01-25 09:28:11.png
Heated gear manufacturers such as Gerbing provide a fused SAE 16 AWG (or greater) cable to connect directly to the battery. Gerbing has the following amp draw in their instructions:
Gloves 2.2 amps
Socks 1.2 amps
Jacket 6.9 amps
Pants 4.5 amps
------------------------
Total 14.8 amps

Screenshot from 2021-01-25 09:36:00.png

1 - 15 of 15 Posts