Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Just how much usable fuel does my ST have? the specs say 21 litres but I'm not getting that When I got it we emptied the tank as it had been sitting for some time. We replaced filters and all the normal stuff. When we refilled the tank (as I was not going to ride it any distance straight away. we short filled it from a 25 litre container, I would guess we put 18 litre in and still had some space.
I have now used 4 tanks the last 2 have had the fuel light on for over 100 km and only took on 16 litres.. How much is there in there?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Good evening,
That is pretty much what I was getting, before I raised the rear and lower the front a bit. Now, with the light on for about 50 Kms, I have not been able to push in more than 13.5Lt.
The manual describes 16 Lt of fuel and 5 Lt of reserve.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It is not unused fuel. It is wrongly measured. I have made certain on a number of occasions that I can cover at least 300 Km with a full tank and with the reserve light on. I do not pay attention to the light at all, and I only see what distance i have covered through the trip meter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, today I thought I should know just what I have. So I carried 1/2 lite of fuel in a container, I left home at 409km having made visual inspection of the depth of fuel left in the tank and I thought I would make it to the second petrol station on my journey that is 27km away. at 431km I had that something is not right feeling at 433km I was stopped using that 1/2 litre container. Rode on to the service station at 436km so I would have used .137 litres to get to the service station. that leaves .363 in the tank. I filled to max as I was of to put down some miles 19.60 litres so we can get 20 litres in, a different position on the driveway may have got the 21st litre in. Im not here or there about the last litre, it would be nice to no what I actually have rather than having the light flash and the guage read empty for 160 km.

For anyone doing the maths that was 62 MPG imperial, in semi urban riding. when i learn how to ride this wonderful machine she will give some decent touring distance so I want to know how far the tank Im on will go.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Good 4 U. It's good to know what the capabilities of the bike are. I use my trip odo also, and usually top-up when I hit around 180 or 190 miles.
I do recall one trip where I must have not been paying attn. to the miles. I had like 220 miles on the trip meter. At about 225 miles, I finally found a petrol station. I filled it with 5.6 US gallons ! Even more than the claimed 5.56 that the manual says...

On my 2013 Multistrada, the gas gauge is so F'd up that I am forced to always carry about a liter of fuel in the panniers. And I always reset and pay attn. to the trip odo! That bike, if-and-when the gauge works, has the same issue with a very "early" low-fuel light...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I can't quite come at carrying fuel all the time. I ride different conditions all the time so I can't expect the same distance from every tank, I will work on making the guage accurate and let you know what I find. I always use trip meter for fuel on everything I ride/ drive but a reliable reading on the guage would be nice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2000 ST2 fuel guage works nicely up to about 1/2 tank - then it says it's empty and the light comes on. On my 695 Monster, the light is driven by a sensor mounted to a clip on the fuel pump, which could be lowered or raised to change when the light came on - but the ST doesn't have that simple sensor (AFAICT) and works off the electronics. Therefore not adjustable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts