Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about 1000km, I noticed the clutch was slipping only when opening up the throttle when the engine was cold, never owning a Ducati before, I thought maybe thats just the way the bike works.
As soon as the engine warmed up, the clutch worked perfectly.

Today I installed new levers (ebay specials) and set the clutch adjustment screw all the way out (so that it is pressing less). Now while riding, the clutch slips while the engine is cold or hot.
I opened up the reservoir and noticed that the fluid is foggy and murky.

What could be the problem? I assume the clutch is the original one. The bike is sitting on 28000km.

I am hoping that I dont have to replace the plates because to be honest, I cant afford it.

I will try a clutchless shift tomorrow to see if it still slips.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
You could add your bike to the signature line, that being customary.

I assume you have a wet clutch. Not an unusual problem with cold oil, especially with an oil that is not specified for a wet clutch. Maybe the wet clutch guys can suggest a more compatible oil.

As far as changing the levers, if you are keeping the piston pressed in too far, beyond the compensation port, you can have problems. Try adjusting so the piston comes out more when the lever is released. Get some free play in the lever to be sure.

So, oil change and piston rod free play. If that doesn't do it, we'll go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Engine temp really has no effect on the clutch.

First to determine if the clutch is indeed slipping and we're not talking about 2 different things. With the bike in a high gear traveling fairly slowly, open the throttle fully, (places the clutch under the most stress) If the engine spins up and you still feel the clutch slipping, (like the bike is not accelerating as fast as the engine revs), then the clutch is slipping.....If something else is giving you the impression the clutch is slipping please describe it so we can try and help.

Now: if the fluid is that crappy. I would first flush the system and properly bleed it. **** Do not do this before you finish trouble shooting the clutch!!! or you will complicate your problem if you get air into the system and then struggle to get it out while trying to troubleshoot.

I imagine if the clutch is actually slipping it could be your new lever adjustment, this causes many people problems. As for bad plates you can take measurements to ensure this is correct before just replacing them....What bike? Dry or wet clutch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TiDuc - So I feel like a complete and utter idiot. The aftermarket levers adjustment screw is a bit longer and therefore presses the clutch in even when the screw is completely set back and clutch is released.

I just swapped the adjustment screw from my old OEM lever over and voilà!, problem solved.

The clutch was indeed slipping because the pressure plate was not engaging properly.

Thanks for the advice, saved me a hell of a lot of heart ache.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
No problem, glad it was an easy fix.....Now if I could figure out why the wife's damn Monster will not start and stay running :think:

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
DBA, what ever happened about your rear wheel locking up ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts