Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the bike that Home page did and I really liked the seat with the grip tape. Does anybody know of an excellent upholstery shop in VADCMD area or within shipping area that does great work? I want to maybe shave the seat a little bit but put some custom leather or synthetic down that look like a leather steering wheel or that has heavy perferations and some gusseted seems, or like the Dainese people like to say BiElasticated panels. Something ribbed or perforated to give it a more old school look and get some more grip.

http://www.bikeexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ducati-gt1000-3.jpg

·
Registered
225 Posts
The seat you're referring to is made out of leather grip tape from brooks England. These only sell in small rolls though, so if you were to buy for a whole seat it would probably get a little pricey. It does look real awesome though.

Are you planning to use this for stock seat? I'm not sure how the stock tail is built up, but if you're planning to make a whole new leather section you would need some kind of separate pad to fit the leather to. This could either be done out of aluminum, or Fiberglas (probably easiest if complicated shape). Other than this I think you just need to apply some neoprene to the pad, and put the leather on. The padding might be a work for professionals if you're picky with comfort :p.

As for the leather, I think a normal textile shop would handle this just as well as a seat upholstery shop.

I'm doing something similar to my bike. Done with the shape of the seat. Next is to make fittings to the tail section.

EDIT: Oh, and if you want to look at possible options regarding the leather tape, maybe you can find something in the floorball shops. It's a long shot, but their tape is pretty similar to the one in the picture (might be hard to find something vintage looking though) :/.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts