Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been thinking the unthinkable of selling my cool as black 2010 Multi for either a red 2015 Multi S, with 7500 kms on the clock, or a white 2016 S with 15,000 kms on the clock, the Red is aprox $3000 cheeper but further away. My question, is there much difference between the 15 and the 16, i remember reading about the earlier airbox issues and the flat spot in power, I'm leaning towards the 16, but white, well id prefer black then red then white, but its only a colour right, thanks if you choose to reply.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Don't do it! Unless you have having issues with the 2010 that you don't want to deal with, I recommend keeping it. My 2018 is nice and all, but I never would have upgraded my 2011 to it, and definitely not a 1200 DVT. The 1260 fixes the power dead spot. I will say the DVT is a much more refined, smoother motor than the 1st gen 1200s.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't do it! Unless you have having issues with the 2010 that you don't want to deal with, I recommend keeping it. My 2018 is nice and all, but I never would have upgraded my 2011 to it, and definitely not a 1200 DVT. The 1260 fixes the power dead spot. I will say the DVT is a much more refined, smoother motor than the 1st gen 1200s.
No issues t-bills, just its clocked up nearly 80,000kms, and really nowadays i only use it for 2up touring, so was thinking if a mate still wants to buy my 2010, id up grade. I have my GT1290 for my solo trips away where i like to explore the edges of the tires at speed, but I'm mainly thinking the later models have a smoother power spread and better brakes, as my 2010 pulses and is not that nice 2up filtering through traffic. (well thats rare as i don't often see much traffic unless in the city.)

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
That's fair. The power delivery is smoother than the non-DVT 1200. As for the brakes, have you tried hitting the rotors with scotchbrite? Those brakes were notorious for material transfer from getting the rotors hot and then sitting at a light with the brakes still applied. It made it feel like the rotors are warped, when its actually just a buildup of material. Also, if its not pulsing that much, you can get the bike up to speed and then really honk on the brakes and do that a few times. That helps smooth things out.

I understand the itch. It sounds like you have a strong case of it. Congrats on your new bike. :grin2:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's fair. The power delivery is smoother than the non-DVT 1200. As for the brakes, have you tried hitting the rotors with scotchbrite? Those brakes were notorious for material transfer from getting the rotors hot and then sitting at a light with the brakes still applied. It made it feel like the rotors are warped, when its actually just a buildup of material. Also, if its not pulsing that much, you can get the bike up to speed and then really honk on the brakes and do that a few times. That helps smooth things out.

I understand the itch. It sounds like you have a strong case of it. Congrats on your new bike. :grin2:
Cheers t-bills, as for a newer Multi purchase, it will depend on wether my mate still wants to buy my 10, i have regularly sanded the discs on the Multi, and that lasts for around 3000Kms, hey another reason is after 40 plus years of swinging a hammer in the building trade my right wrist gives me aches and pains while riding, on the GT i can put it into cruise control and give my wrist a rest from time to time, so if the 2016 multi has the cruise control function it would be a big plus. (i hear it does).

·
Registered
231 Posts
The 15's had all sorts of teething issues as it was a new model year although most of them should be sorted by now. I would go with the 16 though....:)

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Cheers t-bills, as for a newer Multi purchase, it will depend on wether my mate still wants to buy my 10, i have regularly sanded the discs on the Multi, and that lasts for around 3000Kms, hey another reason is after 40 plus years of swinging a hammer in the building trade my right wrist gives me aches and pains while riding, on the GT i can put it into cruise control and give my wrist a rest from time to time, so if the 2016 multi has the cruise control function it would be a big plus. (i hear it does).
So does the 15 S model. It's a nice addition to an already sweet package. Updating the airbox lid eliminates the flat spot. If you tune a little, it's on par with any earlier model for performance and rideability. The Skyhook works fine but is soft for 200+ lb riders and that's why I prefer it for urban commuting. Horrible roads here.

Long term you have increased service intervals and generally more well behaved motor manners. The f-ing airbox is a nightmare to get to so leave the long lived OEm one in there. Aftermarket air filter gains are negligible.

My wrist/hand problems are from chefing and holding books/grading papers for 20 years. When I take a trip with CC on the freeway it's truly hands off. I have rested them on the tank and leaned down out of the wind. Glorious.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks guys for your reply's, the guy who was keen on my 2010 Multi has cold feet now, so maybe i'll have to keep the old black bitch till it reaches 100,000Kms. :smile2:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Tuneboy does CC for the 2010-2014.

I replaced my '14 rotors with galfer wave rotors, hoping that helps but, the other thing that can cause vibrations in your brakes is the buttons getting gunked up. I got some life out of mine by cleaning the buttons as well but ultimately mine were warped.

I had a '15 as well, there were a lot of issues with that bike, I had most of them, I'd go 16 if you were going to upgrade. Personally, I didn't find the 1260 as engaging but, if you're going for two up comfort, doesn't matter as much.

Also owned a GT1290, glad to see the back of that thing but, I'm a skinny little bastard so, the suspension on it sucked for me.

Best of luck figuring out another bike when you decide to.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I too have the new bike itch, but the 2015 - 2017 MTS is not the scratching post for me. That flat spot issue is a deal breaker for me. My 2012 is so upgraded and running so good that I would kick myself for trading it in for something less than really good and/or unique.

I guess that's the nature of the beast. I have pretty much built up the perfect motorcycle for me, and yet I still find myself looking for something new, and a new set of problems to overcome.

Hopefully, common sense will prevail, but that damn 2019 Diavel keeps calling to me. Ugh!

Best wishes in whatever you decide to go with.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Don't do it! Unless you have having issues with the 2010 that you don't want to deal with, I recommend keeping it. My 2018 is nice and all, but I never would have upgraded my 2011 to it, and definitely not a 1200 DVT. The 1260 fixes the power dead spot.
The MTS 1260 is definitely on my short list as an obvious replacement, if and when the time comes, but I've heard this a few times now ... That it's almost too refined compared to the more raucous earlier year models.

Even so, the MTS 1260 sounds like one heck of a bike, and it makes a heck of lot more sense than that stupid 2019 Diavel that keeps calling me. LOL

·
Registered
154 Posts
Personally, I am waiting for a V-4 Multi to come out as soon as that happens, I'm in. A few laps around the track on the new V-4 pani sold me on that motor.

My 2015 has only had few minor issues and is totally sorted out . I've done lots of upgrades, paid the termi tax early on, done the air box and installed rapid bike, there is no hint of a flat spot left. But my eye still wanders...

·
Registered
407 Posts
As you can tell from my sig line, I went the gradual upgrade route with my 2010 S. Heavier springs firmed up the Ohlins while maintaining the suppleness, and the semi-automatic Ohlins chip gives it a fair approximation of Skyhook with better cornering manners. Tuneboy gave me true cruise control and also MUCH improved low-end throttle response and smoother response throughout the rev range. Larger rear sprocket gave significantly more "oomph" from down low. And the final upgrade, Brembo monoblocks (Along with the larger rear master cylinder and the bleed valve on top of the ABS unit) have it the true superbike braking it deserves. I haven't ridden a 1260, but I like mine much better than the DVT I tried.

The total cost of all the upgrades was much less than the hit if I went for the newer bike, and since they were done over several years it never felt like that much. In fact, the big check I would have had to write to go to a 1260 pretty well paid for the 690 Duke!

Either way, enjoy.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts