Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I'm riding the 1098 more often lately, I'm seeing the pieces that need to be improved more and more each day.

So, what are you guys recommending for basic "first mods"?

I just ordered a TST Industries integrated tail light, adjustable fender eliminator, and under tail block off plate.

https://youtu.be/ZRJa8WxgLro

Now I'm looking for bar end signals and mirrors and think the Oberon signals and CRG Hindsight mirrors. (Houston Superbikes has the setup listed for $248.88 shipped)

Anything else I should look at?

As for the 996... It needs... Love...

It was laid over on the clutch lever side at low speed, so it's got some cosmetic damage. I can repair the plastics at work for free and I think I'm going to repaint in a blue/orange Gulf scheme, but it also needs replacements of the clutch, the tires, clutch and brake levers are bent, shift lever is bent, foot brake lever is bent, brakes need replacement, coolant tank is cracked, needs an oil pressure sensor (leaking), and a few other small things here and there.

I had the bike inspected at Motorcorse (they handle my 1098 and are awesome) and the compression test came back at 150 psi and 150 psi, which was nice to hear.

Without paperwork, I'm going to have the 10,000 mile service done just to be safe, so I'll have the clutch done at the same time.

So, if you guys have some recommendations, I'm all ears. I'd like to get the 996 back to riding safely soon, but the more stuff I can do on my own, the better.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thats a sweet 996. I always thought they were some of the prettiest Ducati's to date.... With that said, I think I would put pipe on the 1098 and call it a day. Nothing like the sweet sound of a Ducati twin...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a sweet 996. I always thought they were some of the prettiest Ducati's to date.... With that said, I think I would put pipe on the 1098 and call it a day. Nothing like the sweet sound of a Ducati twin...
I agree and that's why I picked one up finally. I saw my first 916 when I was in Italy back in 1996 and fell in love. (It was yellow, coincidentally.)

My 1098 is a Tricolore, so I think she sounds great with the Setup from the factory. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
For the 1098, it really comes back to how you use it.
I´d say your plan is good. Personally I´d look at lowering the gearing for street use, since the bike is abit highgeared from the factory and maybe doing a double bubble windscreen.

For the 996..
I´d definatly keep her stock fairings yellow. Not many yellow ones out there, so dont tarnish the fairings with another paintjob. If you want a Gulf paintjob (which is cool) then get some aftermarket fairngs including a racing "boat" and a MONO seat. That will add to the look of the bike. abit fiddly to get it to work with the sidestand, but worth it.
I personally would also look at raising the bars abit with some bar-risers and maybe upgrading the brakes with a new and more modern master cylinder for the brakes and some good pads for the stock calipers. EBC HH are good for normal usage and will never fade for the amount of braking that can be done on the street. A lowering of gearing is also great on the 996. Someting like 15/39 or 14/37 really makes it come alive. New foot pegs do more for riding then you think, givven how slipper the stock ones are. Loads of options out there and it doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg to change them out.

My old 748 stock

With upgraded "race" fairings (See the black "boat" to collect oil incase a blown engine happens)
also polished the pipes with metal and chrome cleaner. makes a huge impact on looks.

Reactions: Big Top GT
1 - 5 of 5 Posts