Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is my first Post on the forum and I am really impressed by how knowledgeable everone is on this forum.

I have ridden motorcycles a lot (more than 100,000 miles) but most of it (more than 95%) small engine bikes (250cc and under). Two years back i decided to again start riding and went on to buy S2R 800 as i did not know if I would be able to handle a more powerful Bike. I did not find managing the S2R challanging at all.

I am now planning to upgrade and am completely confused in what direction to go. I have not done track riding and intend to start in this summer. I test rode both SFs and 1198s and really liked both of them. Even though I intend to start going to a track, 80% of my riding will still be on street.

My question is for people who have more experience on the sports bike category. What do you think - should i go with SFs or an 1198s?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hello everyone. This is my first Post on the forum and I am really impressed by how knowledgeable everone is on this forum.

I have ridden motorcycles a lot (more than 100,000 miles) but most of it (more than 95%) small engine bikes (250cc and under). Two years back i decided to again start riding and went on to buy S2R 800 as i did not know if I would be able to handle a more powerful Bike. I did not find managing the S2R challanging at all.

I am now planning to upgrade and am completely confused in what direction to go. I have not done track riding and intend to start in this summer. I test rode both SFs and 1198s and really liked both of them. Even though I intend to start going to a track, 80% of my riding will still be on street.

My question is for people who have more experience on the sports bike category. What do you think - should i go with SFs or an 1198s?
I've been riding 25yrs. Almost all sportbikes with the exception of the last couple years. I have enjoyed the naked bikes I've had (Ducati S4R and Triumph Street Triple) for their convenience and comfort but always missed that truly sporty feel when things got fast. And as for track days, I just didn't do them when I had those bikes. I really think the best thing to do is have two bikes, a "streetbike" and a "trackbike." But I just don't have the time to do all that now so I'm going Streetfighter "S" and hoping that it will be the best of both worlds. From what I've read and my short test ride I think it will do 80%-90% of the 1198 on the track and be 100% better on the street.

Either way, from what your coming off, both bikes are going to be a dramatic change.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
two bits

If you plan on using the same bike for both purposes and you feel you are spry enough to handle a full sports bike,, go with the 1198. But if you don't plan on putting much into the track days and want a more comfortable bike for what will be most your riding.. go with the SF.

Personally I would buy a Streetfighter and then see what I could do about finding a second bike or renting one for the track. This is mostly because I would hate to wreck a 15-20k bike while learning on the track.. no matter how trackable it is. Find yourself a used 600 sports bike,, lots of them are around so if you wreck it or whatever,, you won't be out too much (when I say used.. look for something in the less than 3,500 range). If once you have learned you still feel the need for track speed :).. then go get something more expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts