Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a demo day at my local Ducati dealer and rode a new SS but was really disappointed in how it felt compared to what I have now. It didn't seem to have much character and felt like it could have been any generic motorcycle. I was wondering what you might recommend as an upgrade? Mostly I go to the odd track day or on a windy back-road trip. Not a dd or ridden with great regularity. I prefer doing maintenance myself (although I haven't done a 4v adjustment but I have replaced my own pistons, head studs, carbs, etc...) and would like something that can be reasonably comfortable on a road trip (say 300 miles per day or so) but with a little more performance at the track (I'm tired of everyone outrunning me on the straights).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Something more powerful typically comes with more weight too. That 900SS is so light in its feet.

A 748/916 would be an upgrade for the track but less manageable on the street.

A 1st gen ST4/s would be an upgrade on the street but feel heavy on track compared to the SS you have now.

That said, you could pare down some of the weight on the ST with lightweight wheels, a lightweight battery conversion under the seat, unbolt the saddlebag and passenger footrest brackets, etc.

2002 Yamaha FZ1
1998 Ducati ST2 apocalypse edition

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Someone is selling an old SS with an 1100 in it for $5k on my local Craigslist. That sounds like what you’re looking for.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Or you could get an Yamaha FZ09 - has a distinctive inline triple - and get power + lightweight, ABS, and a lot more.

2002 Yamaha FZ1

·
Registered
479 Posts
I just recommended a non Ducati product. Is my membership here now in question?

2002 Yamaha FZ1

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Get out.

Or at least put the Duc on top in your signature.

Reactions: SO FUN

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Inferno, how about a little more info on your riding? You mention track days. How often are you going? What group are you riding in? I'm guessing the tracks you frequent have some long straights. Also, how often are you doing 300 mile days? Any need for luggage? Which is priority? Track days and hauling ass or a little more towards comfort?

Right off the bat, I'm inclined to say keep the 900SS for the street and pick up a dedicated track bike. 916 series would be pretty awesome. 1098 or 848 if you can swing it. These recommendations are to get you more top end. I'm ok with getting passed on the straights (or in general) so I think the 900ss makes for a fun track bike, but you are probably riding at a higher level than me.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I went to a demo day at my local Ducati dealer and rode a new SS but was really disappointed in how it felt compared to what I have now. It didn't seem to have much character and felt like it could have been any generic motorcycle. I was wondering what you might recommend as an upgrade? Mostly I go to the odd track day or on a windy back-road trip. Not a dd or ridden with great regularity. I prefer doing maintenance myself (although I haven't done a 4v adjustment but I have replaced my own pistons, head studs, carbs, etc...) and would like something that can be reasonably comfortable on a road trip (say 300 miles per day or so) but with a little more performance at the track (I'm tired of everyone outrunning me on the straights).

Thoughts?
Not sure of your budget but if you are looking at a new SuperSport I assume you can afford a used 899 or 959.

Relatively comfortable (especially with DP comfort seat), and low maintenance until the 15k valve adjustment. Much faster than your 900SS.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I do maybe a couple track days a year. I'm certainly no expert but I do get frustrated passing someone in the corners only to get taken on the straight every lap. That is mostly at PIR though. ORP is more fun in my opinion but not as easy to get to. Getting a dedicated 916 or related for the track is probably the way to go, they look fabulous but are probably not very comfortable on the street. Not to mention my price range is as cheap as I can get it. I only rode the new SS because they were having a demo day while I was in there getting some gloves.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
it's a fast bike and dude puts mega miles on it so it has to be well sorted. Cleveland, Texas, Maryland, LA. Wonder where's he's off to next? :crazy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts