Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow!! It’s been soooo long since I visited the forums.

Yesterday I finally bid farewell to my first Ducati, my 749s. She and I had some great times together but I felt it was time to jump to newer bikes to reflect my lifestyle.

I’ve been eye’ing a Monster 696. Would I notice a huge drop in performance going from a Super Bike to this cruiser-type motorcycle?

I don’t race. I don’t track. My riding is more casual and mostly on flat ground. Some highway riding.

Is it easy to reach triple digit speeds with the 696 without it feeling like it would fall apart?

Should I opt for a 796 instead?

I’m a casual rider, mostly on Saturday/Sunday prowl around the burbs.

How about ease of maintenance? Do the 2012 and higher Monsters still require 7500 mile service maintenance for belts and valves?

I’m looking at two bikes right now. A 2012 stock 696 with 1200 miles. The other is a 2009 696 with the tail-delete and a full Termi exhaust. It currently has 4k miles.

Either can be had for $5k. Good price? Which would you go for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are you shopping at a price point, a performance spec or a comfort requirement?
Probably a mix of all three, but it would be important to know to better help with advice.

·
Smut peddler
816 Posts
You will be very dissapointed with either. Go 1000 or 1100. I rented a 696 once. I checked to see that both plug wires were connected. Your results may vary

·
Registered
269 Posts
You had a 749S, a superbike which you didn't race or put it on the track.
Your riding is casual and mostly on flat ground with Some highway riding and some prowling around the suburbs...
The 696 isn't a cruiser-type motorcycle but a naked one.

Mate, just get a scrambler and be done with it - and i'm not being condescending.
Plus, it's more of a "cruiser-like" bike compared to the monsters so that might be a + for you.

Same weight (scrambler is a bout 3 Kg's lighter), softer suspension, good enough brakes (more than adequate) and a comfier riding position compared to the 696/796/1100.
The 696/796/1100 need a valve adjustment every 7500 miles and a belt change every 15.000 or 2 years - whichever comes first !

Jackie T might be right but, from what you wrote, you won't even need the 80(696)/85(796)/95(1100)/100bhp (Evo) my good man- unless you want to reach those "triple digits" on those straights on the 'burbs which...there's no need to really.

The scrambler is classy, classic (looking) and its general performance is more than enough for casual Sunday strolls (and not only).

Granted, a used Scrambler might be more expensive than a 696 but if i was looking for a bike right now to do that kind of usage you described i'd seriously consider it, in fact, it might be the most versatile bike in the Ducati line-up, the fact that you could do some light trail riding (due to the pirelli scorpions and softer suspension) is also a big + in my book.

Happy riding ;)

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I would say it is much more the bike than the power.

I have a number of customers who have owned superbikes of all sizes and end up buying a bike of lesser power only to find they do not miss what they were not using. Only you can decide what your needs are but I can tell you my suggestion is to stay above 20rwhp and you will be fine. I do not find power to be a deal breaker most of the time but ask yourself how often you carry a passenger and need to pass vehicles quickly. This would be the biggest loss with less power.

I quite enjoy riding a smaller bike in that I enjoy changing gears as it is part of the fun for me, others would be happy with a one speed. My compaint on the 696 would be the rear suspension mostly as it is a cantilever design so will never be as capable as other designs. It should be a lighter weight system but seeing as Ducati chose to make the back half of the 696/1100 out of a special alloy of extra weight there is no advantage on that model. The takeaway is that you should ride one and ride it on the typical roads you ride first so you can tell if it will be too uncomfortable. Front forks are poor as well buy cartridges or springs will at least make that better.

Of the two listed I would choose the one with a pipe because the exhaust will cost you more to buy it later if you are going to do so. The fact it is a termi means it is likely it may have a performance ecu/map installed where another brand may not.

I have mot ridden a scrambler but would think it a fine bike as would be a air cooled hyper or multistrada. I would look older to the s2R series of monsters if you want better ride comfort in a naked bike and the 800 or 1000 are both plenty capable motors.

·
Smut peddler
816 Posts
I guess this is how I would put it. The 1000/1100 is comparable to a 600 inline 4. The 696/796 are comparable to a 500 inline/ parallel. I'm not talking outright HP #s, I'm saying real life feel. I'm also guessing (don't know for fact) that you will get downgraded suspension. Find an 1100s model in good condition, with records and some farkels already on it. You will be quite happy riding it. Can't go wrong with the scrambler either. 1100, of course 😁

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i really like the 696. they're fun, but not very fast. the 796 i find a bit tweeny. you can wheelie it if you want to, so it's a bit tempting. the 1100 would make me ride like a twat if i owned one, so i wouldn't.

1100 tends to be higher at the rear, so it feels like a bigger bike maybe.

i would think the 696 would have similar midrange to a 749, but obviously a lot less over 7,000 rpm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I came off a CBR1000F to my 796 Monster. Do I miss the brutal high-RPM rush? Sure. Otherwise, I'm enjoying a nimble, reasonably performing motorcycle that still has plenty of grunt to get around, and enough top end for those 'spirited' rides. I miss the room of the CBR, however... I'm 6'2" and the 796 is a tight fit. It will not be the sport tourer I had hoped it would become, it's good for about 4 hours... for me, anyway.

I would not want a 696. Yes, I know it's only 100cc's, but there is also the swing arm.

I bought my 796 ABS, a '13 in '16, with 4K miles on it for $4800, there is no way I'd pay $5K for a 696.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Very similar comment to those previous.
You may find the 696 vibrates on the highway. For urban, it's a great bike but so are the larger displacement Monsters or Scramblers.
For maintenance, the liquid cooled engines have a much longer service intervals.
Not to steer you away from your choices but do consider a Monster 821.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you ALL for your great responses as it has been very helpful.

I'm not good with multi-quoting so I'll respond as best as i can from what I remember.

At this point, price is top point and would not want to exceed anything over $5500. Next is the bike's "fun and longevity" coming from a 749. I just don't see the urge to do track but do want that power when I need to get out someone's way in the streets.

Now some things have come to light, there is now a third bike that I'm looking at, a 2012 796 with less than a thousand miles on it.

If I play my cards right and not say the dumbest sh*t during negotiation, I will be the 2nd owner of the bike come four hours from now.

Having said this, the bike literally was used for 890 miles and sat in a shop. The thing is pristine but dusty as all heck. It also comes with a full Termi exhaust, tail-delete, etc.

Question, will the tires need replacing? Will it need an oil change?

Thanks again, and yes a Scrambler was also considered but it was above my pricepoint.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thank you ALL for your great responses as it has been very helpful.

I'm not good with multi-quoting so I'll respond as best as i can from what I remember.

At this point, price is top point and would not want to exceed anything over $5500. Next is the bike's "fun and longevity" coming from a 749. I just don't see the urge to do track but do want that power when I need to get out someone's way in the streets.

Now some things have come to light, there is now a third bike that I'm looking at, a 2012 796 with less than a thousand miles on it.

If I play my cards right and not say the dumbest sh*t during negotiation, I will be the 2nd owner of the bike come four hours from now.

Having said this, the bike literally was used for 890 miles and sat in a shop. The thing is pristine but dusty as all heck. It also comes with a full Termi exhaust, tail-delete, etc.

Question, will the tires need replacing? Will it need an oil change?

Thanks again, and yes a Scrambler was also considered the it was above my pricepoint.
You will need to change the oil and belts as I bet they havent been touched since new, tires may still be decent at that mileage but the stock tires were crap Pirellis. Replace them too. Also, make sure to check for tank expansion for a bike with so little miles thats just been sitting. A lot of info out there on what to look for when buying a used Ducati. Take off the seat and check the tank gaps around the frame and look for broken tank cover mounts. Good indication of expansion going on. Best of luck

·
Registered
153 Posts
What Hyper said, pretty much. I wouldn't call the Pirellis crap, they are a decent tire but, yes, they will need to be replaced. Same with the belts... just remember that when you are looking at the price. My last 7500mi service, with belts and a rear tire, was $1500.

The tank swelling thing is a concern... my bike sat for a year in a garage, and since we have ethanol-blended fuel here in Dallas, yes, the tank swelled... as your's likely has. You need to find a source for non-ethanol blended fuel. I have 3 5-gallon cans in my garage dedicated to Ducati fuel... it is what it is.

I don't think there is any doubt the 796 has plenty of power for around town driving. No, it's not a pavement ripping monster that can't keep the front end on the ground, rather it's a bike with plenty of usable power and torque, particularly for it's weight. It is not a highway cruiser... unless you just like arm pump.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well here she is! My test ride of the motorcycle was no more than 1000 feet, around a building just to get a feel for the bike before I handed over my money and signed the title.

Had to ride it back home, but it wasn’t until yesterday when I had an hour to myself (wife and daughter still sleeping) that I really got to have fun with it. Wow, what a beast!

The only thing I’ve done to it is clean the chain and the gas that’s in there now is probably from last year’s fill up before it was stored, and the stock oil from way back in 2013 :)

Plan is to ride it to near empty gas and then perform an oil change.

Tires seem to be running great. Hope the belts are still a-ok!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well here she is! My test ride of the motorcycle was no more than 1000 feet, around a building just to get a feel for the bike before I handed over my money and signed the title.

Had to ride it back home, but it wasn’t until yesterday when I had an hour to myself (wife and daughter still sleeping) that I really got to have fun with it. Wow, what a beast!

The only thing I’ve done to it is clean the chain and the gas that’s in there now is probably from last year’s fill up before it was stored, and the stock oil from way back in 2013 :)

Plan is to ride it to near empty gas and then perform an oil change.

Tires seem to be running great. Hope the belts are still a-ok!

Goddamn, she looks new !
I'd change the belts ASAP just in case (and tires) since the bike is a 2013 M.Y (belts need changing every 24000kms OR every 2 years - whichever comes first)

Enjoy man, safe rides !

·
Registered
431 Posts
Goddamn, she looks new !
I'd change the belts ASAP just in case (and tires) since the bike is a 2013 M.Y (belts need changing every 24000kms OR every 2 years - whichever comes first)

Enjoy man, safe rides !
Congrats, Shes a beaut! I second changing those belts when you change the oil

1 - 19 of 19 Posts