Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my stock 1000ds back in March 2012, I was never a fan of the looks but that motor blew me away. After some time, I started to (IMO) upgrade to what I thought would make a better all-round bike for me. The list was never ending but at the end of the day, I feel I accomplished what I had set out to do. It was beautiful and had admirers everywhere I rode. It was a cherished part of my life and wanted for nothing. In Feb 2016 i saw a mint 999s for sale on this small Island, (I know of only 3) I told my wife I was just going to have a look and rode it home the next day. 'Bob the SS' was up for sale! 6 month later with no offers at 3,000 euro a punter came along and offered 2,200 euro. Included in the sale was a genuine Ducati WSM, paddock stand, cover and LT Snyders 2v book. I took the money with regret.

Now to the present day. Yesterday I was browsing the bike adds and 'Holy sh*t Batman' I recognise that number plate KAK 899. Only thing is I don't recognise the bike. The present owner has done some (cough) upgrades of his own. He is asking 3,000 euro if anyone is interested?

Personally, I feel angry and sad at the same time.

p.s. just to be clear 'bob the SS' is pic #3.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wow, an absolute shame. The bike as it was before was stunning. F*ck the guy that destroy your beauty

Reactions: BobbyBoy

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oof... Did he at least crash it first to justify that monstrosity?
No Thrasher, we use the same mechanic. He told me what the new owner was doing and said "Frank, you don't want to see it".

From the beginning it was to be a Cafe' racer, I guess he failed big style. He traded the Remus cans for some mechanical work and replaced with a Chinese straight thru pipe. WTF.

Its just plain wrong.:crying:

If I ever sell my 999 I'm gonna vet the new owner like he wants to marry my daughter.

·
Premium Member
5,173 Posts
A friend was selling his pride and joy 851, he lives in the USA and was happy the bike sold to Australia so he would probably never see it again.

I had a couple customers bring a rat , high mile 750ss back to very good condition over a number of years. The bike was in really good shape when last sold. A couple years later a new owner of the bike called looking for a clutch lever. he rode the bike to the shop and I could have cried. He had tipped the bike over and broke the clutch lever , no problem right? He then proceeded to take the outer part of his adjustable brake lever and mount it in place of the broken clutch lever. Because he had no front lever he mounted a set of vice grips for a front brake lever, at least he had a rear brake..... Except the rear brake caliper bleed screw was missing and there was no fluid in the line.

The gauges were missing and the bike was leaking oil enough there would be a coffee cup size puddle of oil in front of the rear tire any time he parked. every bit of bodywork was damaged and it was fresh painted just before he bought it. The bike was in worse shape than any Ducati I have seen and I have seen some bad ones. I sold him a lever and mentioned things about dying and such and he left the shop. Weeks later he called back asking for the broken lever he left at the shop as he had broken the new one, he said he could not make it up so was sending a friend. I was relieved that he would not be riding the bike and said no problem. I was less happy when his friend and a young lady friend stopped in to pick up the part, riding the bike and of course neither wore helmets.

One of the few times I asked not to see a bike again.

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
302 Posts
Man you had that bike sorted before you sold it. Absolutely beautiful.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I can't for the life of me understand how someone who would buy the motorcycle the way you had it would make the changes they did. But oh well, there is a lot of crap that happens that I don't understand. The 999 is really beautiful too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts