Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have a 749D and am at a point of decision....upgrade or sell it for a bigger 1098, etc.?
i really like my 749 and the way it rides, but would like more ass. is it worth the money to add an exhaust? or sell it and just get a bigger bike? its hard to shell out $1k average on a USED exhaust, for it to not make a noticeable difference. or just take that same money towards something else. there are some decent deals out there right now with the economy in the crapper, but i havent ridden a 1098 or know anyone that has one for me to try

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
well i have a 749D and am at a point of decision....upgrade or sell it for a bigger 1098, etc.?
i really like my 749 and the way it rides, but would like more ass. is it worth the money to add an exhaust? or sell it and just get a bigger bike? its hard to shell out $1k average on a USED exhaust, for it to not make a noticeable difference. or just take that same money towards something else. there are some decent deals out there right now with the economy in the crapper, but i havent ridden a 1098 or know anyone that has one for me to try
I was deciding this exact thing in October last year. I wanted the Leo Vince Corsa exhaust (which would not have worked well on the 749D), so I thought about the difference in price it would be to sell mine and upgrade. I did not go bigger so to speak, but I did change power along with many other things that came with the R. I would sell and upgrade personally. Maybe a 1098 is not needed, but it is up to you. An 848 would be a pretty big change in power (especially one with exhaust and tuning).

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Unlike you, I have just about had it with that bearings-in-a-trash-can racket........

That aside, I'd have to say that switching from a XX9 to anything else isn't necessarily an upgrade. It's hard to beat the chassis harmony of the 749, and the 749R is pure poetry in motion. I'd suggest you think about a 999R if you want more grunt, and then look to the relatively simple modification of steering head angle reduction and 27mm triple. Dan Kyle can help you out in that regard!

You should also be aware that going to any of the bigger-engined bikes is going to compromise the razor-like handling of the 749.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Unlike you, I have just about had it with that bearings-in-a-trash-can racket........

That aside, I'd have to say that switching from a XX9 to anything else isn't necessarily an upgrade. It's hard to beat the chassis harmony of the 749, and the 749R is pure poetry in motion. I'd suggest you think about a 999R if you want more grunt, and then look to the relatively simple modification of steering head angle reduction and 27mm triple. Dan Kyle can help you out in that regard!

You should also be aware that going to any of the bigger-engined bikes is going to compromise the razor-like handling of the 749.
+1

·
Registered
660 Posts
i do like the feel of my 749, would just like a little more go power. a 999 might be an option i suppose. would an exhaust be worth the money on a 749?
Full exhaust, lightened fly wheel, and proper gearing. If you have extra $$, get some lightweight wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
i do like the feel of my 749, would just like a little more go power. a 999 might be an option i suppose. would an exhaust be worth the money on a 749?
Go get a 999S that has an exhaust on it already, and you will be much happier.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Actually, thats totally not true. The 749D (what the OP has) is not a particularly good handling bike. My 848 steers quicker then any other street superbike I've ever ridden. Of course, on the track none of this makes a difference.

I'd sell your 749D and buy a used 848. The 1098 is totally over-kill, gets worse gas mileage and has that god dam dry clutch, which not only wears out quicker, but has the worst clutch feel ever. Forget it, now that I have an 848, I have no intentions on buying another street bike with a dry clutch, its totally useless. For the track, the dry clutch is great, but for the street, it just annoys your neighbors.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Actually, thats totally not true. The 749D (what the OP has) is not a particularly good handling bike. My 848 steers quicker then any other street superbike I've ever ridden. Of course, on the track none of this makes a difference.

I'd sell your 749D and buy a used 848. The 1098 is totally over-kill, gets worse gas mileage and has that god dam dry clutch, which not only wears out quicker, but has the worst clutch feel ever. Forget it, now that I have an 848, I have no intentions on buying another street bike with a dry clutch, its totally useless. For the track, the dry clutch is great, but for the street, it just annoys your neighbors.
Quite right.... I meant that the 749R was the bike to compare.

The 848/1098 is a great rendition of an old design.... if you like that sort of thing....;)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
stick a 999 engine in . like you i wanted a bit more power,but love my bike and frown on spending huge for little gain.sourced a 999s engine and swapped,bike has the hp i craved.and it still handles the same.the bonus is i'll likely get near the same money for the motor (if) and when i put it back to original..

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Why would there be any difference in handling?
Tom
I am given to understand that the 749R came with somewhat different steering geometry than any of the 999s, which made the 749R sharper handling.

·
Registered
49 Posts
suggestion

keep your 749 - buy a slightly used or leftover ZX-14 or BMW k1200 bike. :D

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
It ain't a knife! heh ;)

As a street bike, it handles no different then all the other bikes. But if you start tweaking it, high speed cornering is very different, much more stable.
When I went from the 749D to the R I felt it was different on the street. And the steering angle had not been changed to fast. Maybe it was my imagination...

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Some people don't realize, when they tighten the chain, it changes the geometry of the bike entirely due to changing the swing arm length (wheel base). So your test might have had a narrower wheel base making it steer MUCH quicker at street speeds. Take it to the track, you'd probably end up with tuns of head shake and wheelies! :D

Thats one of Ducati's biggest gimmic's, they keep the wheel base short on the lower horsepower superbikes because it helps, but on the bigger bore bikes, they come setup with a slightly different gearing, so the wheel is further back, making it handle slightly different. Thats why people say the 749 handles better, its just because of the wheel base change.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am given to understand that the 749R came with somewhat different steering geometry than any of the 999s, which made the 749R sharper handling.
Doesn't the 749r come with adjustable triple offset, steering head angle and swingarm pivot point as well?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Some people don't realize, when they tighten the chain, it changes the geometry of the bike entirely due to changing the swing arm length (wheel base). So your test might have had a narrower wheel base making it steer MUCH quicker at street speeds. Take it to the track, you'd probably end up with tuns of head shake and wheelies! :D

Thats one of Ducati's biggest gimmic's, they keep the wheel base short on the lower horsepower superbikes because it helps, but on the bigger bore bikes, they come setup with a slightly different gearing, so the wheel is further back, making it handle slightly different. Thats why people say the 749 handles better, its just because of the wheel base change.
I think the wheelbase did not change from stock on the 749D, as well as the 749R. But I am not sure if they come different from the factory. It was probably my excitement of owning an R anyway. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts