Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fitting a starter system to a '08 1098RS engine.(As the motor relied on a Foxley starter)

I have fitted the very last incarnation of the pin, for reliability. It is the longer one that isn't held in place with a screw into the case, it is supported by an extra machined hole in the later generator cover.

As discussed here before,

funky noise when cranking - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

I have fitted the pin and the intermediate starter gear into the crankcase. The trouble I am facing, is that when the cover is put on, the pin is out of line by about 5mm to the hole in the cover. The crank, clutch push-rod and gear selector is in line with the cover.

The teeth on the starter, the intermediate gear and sprag starter gear all line/mesh ok.

On early cases, were the drillings for the starter and starter gear pin machined on a different spacing pattern, ie, flatter to the last derivative of the Evo engine?

Can get some pics up if need be.

I await the "Why do you want to do that? q's"

Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After comparing the early 1098 cases to the 1198, the hole for the intermediate pin is machined in a different position between the two derivatives. Meaning the later cover won't fit an early engine with the last type of longer pin.

·
Registered
314 Posts
So are the holes in the 08 crankcases the same place as the 2011 cases ... you say above they are different post 7 ...then you say they are the same problem post 9?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So are the holes in the 08 crankcases the same place as the 2011 cases ... you say above they are different post 7 ...then you say they are the same problem post 9?
The RS cases are the same, no matter what the age. Pin in early position as per std 1098.

1198 std cases are different to all RS/std 1098

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
(Bit of back pedalling)
I think the cases with the counterbore in the pin hole may be in the new position.

I haven't been able to try those cases....

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
2008, also tried on other RS cases 2010/11. Same problem.
I did this modification on a F09 engine , no problem.... tham thing on a RS10 engine . the RS11 engines I bought had the electrical starter already fitted.
I think all the cranckcases R and RS are the same , expet the early RS have an additionnal windows on the side for make possible to see the oil lever.

your story is strange..... but interresting

I have the 2 kind of pins as spare , will make pictures tomorow.

·
Registered
123 Posts

this is the 1st generation pin on 1098RS

here is the 2nd generation pin

on 1200MTS

on 1098RS

the alternator covers:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts