Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has an 07 superduke and his rear tire is wearing like this. Has anyone ever seen a tire wear like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
yikes! assuming he doesnt make significantly more turns in one direction than the other, it looks like his rear is out of alignment. if it's pitched to one side it will cause excessive wear on the other side. seems like if it was that bad he should have noticed it in how it rode.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks like it's just worn out. That line in the middle looks like it's thru the tread compound and about to show cord. He turns left more then right.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Looks to me like he runs about 10 or 15psi too much air also. If he is showing a 1/2" band worn through in the middle (If that is what we are seeing)

IMHO

Mark

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
Looks like a combo of too high preasure and getting on the gas to hard from red lights.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
I've seen that type of wear in the center. Like others have said, it looks like the cords are going to show soon. You friend got the max life out of the tire.

What is odd is the left to right wear. Usually street riders will wear the right side more than the left due to highway clover leafs and such. From this, folks will be more comfortable turning right than left. I've heard that track riders even prefer one direction over the other.

If this is a track bike, then the wear pattern makes more sense, esp if the track goes counter-clockwise.

If this were an alignment issue, the problem would seen mostly in the center as that is were a tire spends most of its time, typically with short tire life (I know, compared to what?). Seeing alignment wear towards the sidewall? Maybe a GP guy might.

Dependent on the bike and a center stand, you can check alignment at home with some string.

Have a good one.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Road Slope

If you notice, most streets, rural roads in particular, slope from the center to the edges to provide for good rain water drainage.

Here in the U.S., the tires wear more on their left side as a result. It's the opposite side in the U.K.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the imput guys. The question was about the 1/2" band in the middle. I have gone through probally a dozen tires and never had a center strip like that. He is a little upset because he only has 1400 miles on that tire and he rides like a little girl. He checked the tire pressure and it was only 2 psi low.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You sure the tire isn't rubbing on something? Cool-guy license plate mount, shock, hugger, inside of the swingarm, etc? Tires grow when you go fast.
Looks to me like it's rubbing on something, or at least hitting it when the shock compresses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts