Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered the CF fairing kit a while back and tried real hard to leave this for a winter project. We’ve had a warm Fall in CT that kept taunting me and was dieing to see how it would look on the road anyway.

Fit up was a snap, right side needs some more adjustment as the rad overflow, well nut and fairing are a tight fit. Under light chin fairing that came with kit won’t fit, I believe it’s for models with the round lights, so look for it on fleabay.

Getting mixed reviews of the current look that fall right down the gender line, 100% of Females go yuck including my 8 yr old daughter and 90% of guys dig it big time! One Harley dude actually thought it was some new paint primer (local Duc dealer is in the same building as H/D, cringe)

When I ordered the panels I figured I would decal them up and throw on some clear coat for that hardcore C/F look and be done. There must be something about the Duc red though as I kinda miss it so here are my thoughts…

The Diavolo “D” decal is just a temp thing, I think I’m going to do either: 1. Duc red on a large swath of the side surface (not infills) with a 1-3 inch C/F border and O.E.M decals under clear coat 2. A swath of Duc red just on the upper portion of the fairing, O.E.M. decals, clear coat.
Maybe some Duc red with C/F borders on the under seat panels?

Any thoughts or pics out there of ST’s or other Ducs painted up that you like?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
Maybe paint the upper side fairings red to follow the natural lines of the bike. This leaves the entire bottom natural carbon.

I was thinking of doing this myself (bottom as well as rear side panels) in silver.

How cool would it be to have the entire bike in carbon fiber. All you need is the upper fairing and a tank overlay if someone makes one. I love carbon fiber if it's quality. As I remember, Ducati offered the carbon upper for our bikes (MY 04+) in the accessory catalog I got when I bought mine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
cool - im going to have to make a similar decision soon!!

I agree with painting the upper side fairing red down to the raised section in the panel that angles forward. This should look more in keeping with the style and bring back the Duc red.

This is a job for photoshop!

I think im going to mis the red too. Because im doing a rebuild, the tank and uper fairing have been sourced new in Senna Grey, so that will be my main colour, so I think the CF kit will look good with it... time will tell. But I will definately miss the duc red :(

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I've got unpainted lowers on my ST2, but mine is black so close enough.

I also have all CF on my SS, so only the primered ETI tank isn't the right color.

And then I have an unpainted CF fairing on my 999R, so the red tank, front fender, and tail don't match (unless I throw on the OEM CF painted stuff).

But, I just don't care!

Tom

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Maybe paint the upper side fairings red to follow the natural lines of the bike. This leaves the entire bottom natural carbon.

I was thinking of doing this myself (bottom as well as rear side panels) in silver.

How cool would it be to have the entire bike in carbon fiber. All you need is the upper fairing and a tank overlay if someone makes one. I love carbon fiber if it's quality. As I remember, Ducati offered the carbon upper for our bikes (MY 04+) in the accessory catalog I got when I bought mine.
To the best of my knowledge there is not a carbon headlight surround / dash for the MY 04+ bikes. But, I don't have every year's catalog, so it might exist.

But, what I was thinking, is that since I have a spare dash infill, and if I can source a good used headlight fairing, that I might see if Mark from carbonpartz.net would be willing to copy them in carbon. Ditto for the bottom V air-extractor.

Who else is thinking that maybe a group buy is in order? :D

Also, if you want, there is a company in Japan that will bond carbon to most materials. From the looks of it, it is beautiful work, and should be for the price.

You could have the tank and grab rail done up so that almost the entire body would be carbon / carbon-look.

http://www.carbondryjapan.com/protec_en.html

Bellissimoto also resells for them: http://www.bellissimoto.com/CarbonProtec.html

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Under light chin fairing that came with kit won’t fit, I believe it’s for models with the round lights, so look for it on fleabay.
You are correct, the chin piece is for when the kit is used with a 98-03 bike.

J

·
0 Posts
Ordered the CF fairing kit a while back and tried real hard to leave this for a winter project. We’ve had a warm Fall in CT that kept taunting me and was dieing to see how it would look on the road anyway.

Fit up was a snap, right side needs some more adjustment as the rad overflow, well nut and fairing are a tight fit. Under light chin fairing that came with kit won’t fit, I believe it’s for models with the round lights, so look for it on fleabay.

Getting mixed reviews of the current look that fall right down the gender line, 100% of Females go yuck including my 8 yr old daughter and 90% of guys dig it big time! One Harley dude actually thought it was some new paint primer (local Duc dealer is in the same building as H/D, cringe)

When I ordered the panels I figured I would decal them up and throw on some clear coat for that hardcore C/F look and be done. There must be something about the Duc red though as I kinda miss it so here are my thoughts…

The Diavolo “D” decal is just a temp thing, I think I’m going to do either: 1. Duc red on a large swath of the side surface (not infills) with a 1-3 inch C/F border and O.E.M decals under clear coat 2. A swath of Duc red just on the upper portion of the fairing, O.E.M. decals, clear coat.
Maybe some Duc red with C/F borders on the under seat panels?

Any thoughts or pics out there of ST’s or other Ducs painted up that you like?

Happy Thanksgiving!
...Over kill,overdose of C.F..In my "opinion" it looks like a real monster,poor ducati,what have you done:(..Paint on C/F,makes no sense.I likeC/F but to a point..Good luck Dr.Frankenstien:rolleyes:

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I think I'm just going to paint mine up, close to stock and then leave some carbon just cleared so you can see that it's there, but keep the original look.

One bike that always interested me, was the MV F4 Mamba. Although I tried applying a similar scheme to a picture of my ST in photoshop, and it didn't have the same impact since the panels were different sizes / out of proportion. If you have the panels custom painted, then I'm sure you could get closer to the dimensions of the MV and have the side panels be two tone to get it right.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I did another Mamba ST mockup, this one turned out a little better.

Excuse the mediocre Photoshop skills.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
here's how far I have got...

...Any thoughts or pics out there of ST’s or other Ducs painted up that you like?
I received mine a couple of weeks ago.

My current thinking is to go silver as original, leave infills in carbon, and have a more period 'Ducati ST3' logo. I was actually tempted to paint the whole bike Ducati red, but baulked at the labour and difficulty (tank especially).

Thumbnail shows the panel just stuck to the side of the bike for visual appraisal.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Paint on C/F,makes no sense.
I feel the same way. I figure if you are going to paint carbin fiber, just leave the stock plastic fairings on the bike. If you want carbon accents, save several hundred (or thousands) of dollars and buy some carbon decal sheets and trim them.

Painting carbon fiber fairings is like buying a Picasso and then letting your 4 year old finger paint over it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think you take a different approach. When I looked at it the side panels by the seat are crying to be painted red. If you did that then to follow the lines you would want to paint the lower cowl of the fairing red as well. Leave the middle of the fairing raw CF and I think you will have one standout SOB..

Randy

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello
I have my unfinished carbon Comfort Kits on my two ST's that are matte grey and black respectively and I think the carbon goes pretty well with both of them, particularly the black bodywork. The grey one has black lower fairing panels on it already, so there is some balance there.
it doesn't really "clash" with either of these two colors, I think that may be what makes it difficult to integrate into a scheme with bright colors.
I was thinking the same thing that was mentioned previously, just get a "blob" of black sprayed in the transfer area of the side panels and kind of fogged out at the edges, so the red/silver decals show up better. The remainder should mesh pretty well with the carbon Comfort Kit, and the black tank/rear tail piece. And a good dose of clear-coat to stall the inevitable UV destruction, of course.
I reckon I'll use the plastic bodywork for track days, with the frame slider cutouts, and just unscrew the Delrin sliders (CycleCat) from the bosses and use the carbon panels un-drilled. That way I can use 'em on either bike.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I feel the same way. I figure if you are going to paint carbin fiber, just leave the stock plastic fairings on the bike. If you want carbon accents, save several hundred (or thousands) of dollars and buy some carbon decal sheets and trim them.

Painting carbon fiber fairings is like buying a Picasso and then letting your 4 year old finger paint over it.
I disagree. Almost all exotic car mfrs. use carbon for body panels, and painting is considererd normal and raw carbon the exception. The Superbike R models follow the same path too.

The ST is not a DB7 Oro Nero. There is a very low probability that you will have every piece of the bodywork in carbon, and a mix of materials is the result. I'm not a fan of patchwork styles, and in design the concept of "less is more" is pretty powerful. If I was to apply a carbon appliqué to the stock panels, it would be considered tacky and poser-like. Having the full carbon and choosing to expose highlights is the real deal, and tastefull on a bike that was originally a bright color. As said, on darker colors this isn't as much of an issue.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts

+1

My SS has a full, unpainted CF fairing, and when I am in monoposto mode, an unpainted CF tail as well. The ETI fuelcel is OEM primer. The BSTs are clear-coated, however.

My ST2 had unpainted CF mudguards, tank cover, and lower fairings.

My 999R has OEM painted CF fairings, and aftermarket non-painted fairings. The non-OEM unpainted weigh about 10 LBS less. It also will soon have BSTs.

I will pain the CF fairings when they start to look really bad.

But not before!

Tom

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I think you take a different approach. When I looked at it the side panels by the seat are crying to be painted red. If you did that then to follow the lines you would want to paint the lower cowl of the fairing red as well. Leave the middle of the fairing raw CF and I think you will have one standout SOB..

Randy
You mean like this?

And continued on the tank for reference.

And also the Mamba ST.

Attachments

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Still playing with ideas...

First I just carbonized the fairing infills, the logo and accented the flare at the lower fairing.

Next, I added a few cues. I have wondered about making the upper fairing in carbon too. In this one I put a small border around the windshield, carbonized the air ducts, and also added a small border around the rear fenders to minimize their apparent size.

Lastly, I decided that I didn't like the bottom fairing, and drew a sightline that extends to the top of the cans / bottom of the bags. I kind-of like this line, it's a bit less aggressive than the standard mating line of the upper and lower fairings. When I did this, I saw a bit more balance in the layout. This follows the bag's design.

From the 1/4 view

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
DId you get the CF package from the Italian supplier via ebay? If so, are the parts quality?

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
I'm a big fan of the understated no crazy graphics, mostly one color look. That was one of the many factors that brought me to Ducati in the first place. Painted carbon with just a hint showing is very cool IMHO. No fake carbon decals... That look reminds me of those fake cell phone antennas they used to sell. I'd do it like the R model SBKs, and shown above in the mock up, just the air conveyers, Ducati name and maybe a hint showing on some of the details of the lower fairing. The rest I'd paint red. It's real and actually makes use of the carbon fiber for its primary purpose... Lighter weight, not bling. I don't care for the whole fairing showing. Looks unfinished to me. YMMV!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts