Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This may be regional, but the FastLane toll tags fit nicely in the small window above the dash. No velcro or adhesive required. Simply slide down screen until snug.

Note: I discovered that the toll sensor cannot pickup through the shorty carbon fiber screen (too bad, sometimes I like naked).

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Nice! I wonder if it'll work through a painted stock screen... hmmm

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I did mine like that too until i added the aztec spacers. Do do like i did and try the velcro after the spacers go on. mine came free on the highway and thankfully i caught it as it flew over my helmet.

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, the Aztec spacers are on their way so yes, I'll have to add velcro then.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Sorry, i typo'd in my last post. The velcro did not work for me. The shield has too much curve in it as does the plastic frame undrneath. Mine came free from the velcro when i was going ~80mph and thankfully i caught it w my left hand as it wizzed over my head.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Does mounting upside-down matter? There are markings on the transponder indicating "this end up." I'd prefer not to put velcro on my bike.

I've tried putting the transponder in the pocket of a mesh jacket - didn't work. Maybe the battery is weak?

Mount on the tank bag?

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wondered about the orientation but it's working fine upside down, green light every time.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Paulie,
Jacket pocket for sure is a no go. I got a brand new one for the bike and it didnt work thru there. I have found a bunch of mounts on ebay that i might play with to see if i can hard mount it.

I have a friend of mine that put his up under the fairing on his Concours and it works just fine for him there. Ive thought about trying that as well but im not sure where to put it. There isnt much room under there and even tho i have seen his work fine im skeptical since i would work in the chest pocket on my fabric jacket.

dadridesagain,
Did you ever get any pics of that iphone mount that was mentioned in your boston-miami thread?

I bought a givi 850 universal bag that i thought was going to do the trick for me but after 30 min of testing yesterday i think i may send it back. It fits good over the tripple clamp but my phone overheated on a 7 mile ride to bj's running the gps to try it out. I also couldn't see the thing at all in direct sunlight.
I did a little more research and i found this thing..
Motorcycle M8 Bolt Mount with Tough Case for Apple iPhone 4 + Din Charger Cable
Im seriously thinking about getting one and i thought you might want to see it as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey JB that iPhone mount looks awesome, exactly what I am looking for if it works as advertised. The Waze app on the iPhone works great in the car and I've used it audio-only using earbuds. Any reviews on it? I'll check it out and probably order one. It's advertised as a motorcycle mount so should be waterproof. (I paid almost that much for an Otter case!).

Do you know whether our bikes use the M8 handlebar bolts?

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I ordered one today so I will let you know how it does. I like that it's pretty much plug and play with the din plug.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice, please do let me know how it works. So much to learn (what's a din plug?). I'm also starting to research touring lights. Maybe I need to adjust the stock lights but nighttime illumination leaves much to be desired.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
The din plugs are those little plugs under the seat where you can plug heated gear into etc. my plan is to use that first and if i like the whole setup i will cut that plug off the adapter i bought and hard wire it.

I hear you on the lighting. The lowbeams are not too bad but i find the high beams useless. Where i am and where i tend to ride off the main roads(Sherborn, Dover, Natick, Holliston, etc.) there are almost no street lights and i end up having to hold the high beam flash in so both are running and then they are good. I may have to do a little rewire job on that so i can turn on the highs and have both sets on.

I downloaded that waze app and it looks pretty good, especially for free. I do still like my tom tom app better. The best part is the automatic rerouting when there is traffic and when you are planning a route there are all kinds of route choices and i like the "winding roads" selection since it generally avoids highways and seems to take you down some nice motorcycling roads makes any trip really fun, longer but fun.

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the tomtom app looks great, probably worth the $36; nice youtube review (
), I'll probably pick it up; hope that case is as cool as it looks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
for all the needless blurring of license plate numbers that I see on bike sites, I sure would have blurred my EZPass acct# YIKES!

I've tried everything with mine back and forth to NYC, Boston, Maine. It's not a battery situation at all, it's a copper coil deal and as it goes through the sensor zone at the booth, it is suppose to trigger the detector. With all the trouble in jacket pockets and inside top cases, I just did as others suggested and made sure it was added to the account and said F' it and just take the red light and they look it up and no harm, no foul, no ticket! Yes it works! One dude doesn't even mount his or even take it for that matter, just registered his bike model and plate number and blasts on through all the toll's.

Here's the kicker, found a toll at the Island bridge going out to Newport RI, damn thing was gated and thankfully I had the unit in my chest pocket, the toll booth clerk had to come out, take it from me and wave it around behind me to get the gate to go up, so I could get through...

I HATE TOLL BOOOTHS ON BIKES!!!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I just did as others suggested and made sure it was added to the account and said F' it and just take the red light and they look it up and no harm, no foul, no ticket! Yes it works!
Not in Mass it doesnt. They give you two free "plate reads" a month then the fines start. I personally have been fined for doing just this.

I just keep it in my chest pocket and hold it over my head when i go thru now, it works but its not convenient at all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not in Mass it doesnt. They give you two free "plate reads" a month then the fines start. I personally have been fined for doing just this.

I just keep it in my chest pocket and hold it over my head when i go thru now, it works but its not convenient at all.
Well, I'll be.... figures though, I'm not sure how many "no shows" I've pulled in a row, or in a months time. But I won't doubt you as I can't see the tax and fine happy Massholes doing anything for our convenience and NOT charging us.

I'll be careful, THANKS!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
That sounds about right.....

Last time i did it was a few years back on my old Honda v65 Sabre and i got a $50 fine the only time i took it on the "pike" from Boston. I had three plate reads in ~15 min and got fined(yes i may have been speeding:eek:). My plate, bike make model, etc was in the system as registered to my account, if it wasnt the fines would have been much steeper. Ive been diligent about having the transponder on me since then, i learned my lesson.

I will say the best way i have seen was a guy in on the jersey turnpike that was on a one of those 300 rear tire raked out choppers. He just put his hand over the plate since he could reach it and went right on thru one of the high speed ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts